"You lost weight."

Options

Replies

• Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I know I was fat so when someone tells me I have lost weight it doesn't bother me one bit. I love it!! It keeps me going. I heard from my "second mother" "Babe you have lost weight. You look so much better than you did before". It was nice to hear that all my hard work is paying off.
  • dj_phx
    dj_phx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't like to get this compliment is when it's a generic compliment that's given whether it's true or not. I've realized that every time I go to my boyfriend's family someone asks if I've lost weight and it gets annoying because a couple of the times I had noticeably gained weight since the last time I saw them. It seems that some people learn that you are trying to be healthy and just start complimenting you for it whether it's earned or not.

It is also possible she had just heard it a lot, and didn't feel like hearing about it at the moment.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    With this state of mind as a guideline, I'd just stick to a generic, "You look great" rather than "You look skinnier" or "You lost weight!"
    -wtk
    Wait, wouldn't it be the opposite though?
    If you say, "You look great," it kind of implies that they didn't look so great before. Which can be considered offensive. But if you say the latter, it's pretty much just stating a fact.
    How do you figure? When you say "You look great," you are making a decided observation about that very moment. You are not implying that someone did not look great before. He or she could have looked fantastic and, at this point, also looks great. If a person speculates and is offended, that is his or her fault for reading into what you have said.

With that in mind, when you say, "You've lost weight," you are making a comparison between how a person has looked in the past and how he or she looks in the present. A person can hear "You look skinnier" and rationally think, "I look skinnier than I was before...that's a helluva way to put that."
    -wtk
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I don't believe it's offensive at all. However, I have been told by my neighbors "oh you've lost weight good job" all the time, even when I've gained, so if she actually HASN'T lost weight, I can see it being offensive. Otherwise, most people like hearing those compliments. I'm sure there are a few that don't want it mentioned though. She also already mentioned something about weight loss. I say it's fine. But possibly talk to her about it and ask if it hurt her feelings, and if it did you didn't mean to hurt her feelings.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    This isn't the first time I've heard of people being offended. What's more, I still see people are reacting with disdain bordering on hostility for the admittedly sensitive individual who didn't want her weight pointed out. When people get offended, I think what people react to is the idea that they didn't look attractive or beautiful before.

I've always been a normal-sized person, but last summer I lost a good 20 pounds--I'd say I went from being normal to slender. At first it was nice to hear, but after the 10th or so "You lost so much weight!" it began to give me a bit of a complex. We want weight loss to be permanent, but the fact is, life can get crazy and weight will change. I began to feel like if I gained the weight back, I wouldn't look beautiful anymore. It made me absolutely TERRIFIED to put on any weight.

So yes, I think it's a compliment, but at the same time, if your friend had heard it a hundred times already and has begun to feel like she looked awful before, that may have been why it was a sensitive topic for her. But you meant it honestly, and from a point of understanding since you're trying to lose weight as well, so don't feel too bad!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Every time someone notices I've lost weight, fireworks burst inside me. In fact, I feel a bit hurt if someone who hasn't seen me since I was fat doesn't mention it.

People who get upset over compliments are idiots, to me, anyway.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I've learned from MFP that one should first contact an attorney and a PR rep before complimenting someone about weight loss.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth on whether or not I mind people pointing it out to me every day. For me it is a very sensitive subject.

In many cultures it is extremely offensive to tell people they lost weight. In western culture weight going down is good and weight going up is bad. Fat=ugly. But that isn’t universal.

When I served in the Peace Corps “Yu kom fatu!” You became fat, was a compliment. I have had friends, who were moderately overweight visit me in the United States and say they were becoming depressed by our negativity toward weight issues.

In many countries, if someone tells you, “You lost weight,” they are saying you look sick or poor.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that I look bad... so I look forward to hearing nice things about myself. :)
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's obvious that I look bad... so I look forward to hearing nice things about myself. :)

You don't look bad at all! You're very pretty!
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I LOVE hearing that I lost weight (especially because after I lost 25 lbs, I didn't even realize it until people told me), but I do get annoyed when people say it really loudly in front of a large group of people. Maybe it's just because I'm super insecure and shy, but I just don't like a bunch of people focusing on the "old" me and thinking about how much I had let myself go. I prefer if people just say "wow, you look great!". Then, depending on how comfortable a person is talking about their weight, they'll probably say either "thank you, i've been working out a lot/lost 20 lbs/etc.".
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    maybe the reason she is losing weight may not be good. i hated hearing that "you are losing weight" cause every single time it was said .. it meant i was gaining. no fail.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    There is something about me that makes people remember me as fatter than I am. I'm talking about 5'6" in the 145-150 range, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I'd see someone after a few weeks, they'd always tell me I'd "lost so much weight!" So yeah, that got annoying.
    If it wasn't someone I was close to, or had previously shared weight loss chats/goals with, I'd just stick with "you're looking great, what's your secret?" and let them dish about the weight loss if they want to or just smile and say thanks. But with someone you've had talks with about wanting to lose weight, getting upset definitely seems like an odd reaction. I don't think you were out of line.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I mean...HONESTLY. I know this sounds psychotic, but...

I wish people would STOP bringing it up. I would never ever ever say this to anyone, and I always act really grateful that people notice and accept their compliments graciously, but...

I just want to pretend like I was NEVER as big as I actually was. I just want to honestly forget it. I'm thinner now and almost at goal and just want to forget that I was ever 212 pounds. That may sound messed up, but it's the truth!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Something might not offend 999 out of 1000 people but if it offends that one person who is a good friend I feel like crap, even tho it was unintentional. Best thing to do is apogologize and keep their sensitivity in mind.
  • weightlossloser13
    Options
    I think your friend was being oversensitive. You were stating a fact. In the future, though, perhaps you can phrase it: "Wow! You look great! Have you lost weight?" on the off chance that maybe she hasn't lost weight (maybe she even gained it) and that was why she was offended, maybe? I dunno, people are weird, but it is not actually rude to compliment someone, especially a friend, or congratulate them on their success.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options

You don't look bad at all! You're very pretty!

Well thank you :)
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I mean...HONESTLY. I know this sounds psychotic, but...

I wish people would STOP bringing it up. I would never ever ever say this to anyone, and I always act really grateful that people notice and accept their compliments graciously, but...

I just want to pretend like I was NEVER as big as I actually was. I just want to honestly forget it. I'm thinner now and almost at goal and just want to forget that I was ever 212 pounds. That may sound messed up, but it's the truth!

I thought I was the only one who felt like this, haha.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I think your friend is a weirdo. Who doesn't like their accomplishments acknowledged?!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You said it in private and I don't know why your friend was upset about her weight loss. I would be happy about a weight loss compliment if it was me.