Public Restrooms

Options

Replies

• teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just sit and use the toilet folks! (hoverers just splash urine all over everything and while urine is sterile and has no germs, the idea is just gross). Unless you have open sores on your butt, germs aren't going to get in. The risk in public bathrooms is from germs on your hands. People don't realize how much they touch their noses , their mouth, rub their eyes during the course of the day.. that's how you get sick. And there are germs everwhere, toilet is probably least of the issues. How about ATM keypads, and the debit swipers at stores, or the pens the pens they give everyone to sign credit slips with??????

As for the foot flushing method... think about this - go back in the toilet rest room past. Three people before you... person 1 uses his foot flush. Person 2 uses his foot to flush. Person 3 uses his hand. So now person 3 not only has the "normal" gems from the toilet and handle on his hand, he has whatever nasty germs the previous two people stepped in that was on their shoes on his hands. He turns the lock on the stall door, leaving all those germs. He turns on the water faucet, germming it up.

Now you come in and foot flush... great... but when you open the stall door and turn on the faucet, you're gonna get the germs on you anyway. So what's the point of the foot flush??? In a sense you end up with more germs because of the foot flushers.

Use the bathroom like a normal person, thoroughly wash your hands and use the papertowels that you dry your hands with to turn off the faucet and open the bathroom door. If there are only blowers in the bathroom, you're screwed anyway because you have nothing to open the door handle with and as soon as you touch it, those germs (including the ones of people who didn't wash their hands) are on you.

I am in full support of taking precautions and washing your hands frequently but I think people get hysterical about it. In my parents day never heard of anyone dieing, getting sick, getting an STD from a public bathroom.

Holy common sense batman! Well said, I couldn't agree more.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I poop in the urinal and spackle my *kitten* with purell afterwards

I took a sip of water while reading this and choked !!! ROFL..
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I sit on the toilet. Like a normal person. I have yet to get any infection or disease. Silly people.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Get a bottle of the on the go Hand Sanitizer. Squirt it on the seat, wipe off.. Then go.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I carry a toilet seat wherever I go. It's padded and has stars on it.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Ya'all are funny. So worried about the toilet when you should be worried about the door knob while leaving the bathroom! All those people that didn't wash their hands had to open the same door as you. :wink:
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If your real worried about it, just leave an upper-decker.

I just learned what that is last week!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    99% of the time, I sit - and check the seat carefully for pee spots and other debris first. The 1% exception is for when I'm travelling or in a bar and will use the paper cover thingy or TP the seat.

For those of you who hover, I agree wtih Jenny McCarthy, either learn how to aim better or wipe the damn seat off when you're done! Nasty people...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I hover... also rip off the first two sheets of toilet paper and throw it in the toilet... also flush with my foot... soooo gross!

Ha, I totally do this!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Ya'all are funny. So worried about the toilet when you should be worried about the door knob while leaving the bathroom! All those people that didn't wash their hands had to open the same door as you. :wink:
    I don't worry about any of it and I hardly ever get sick, so... who cares?
  • tyroners
    tyroners Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Go at home simples!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Drape with layers and flush with the foot
  • timmy2strikes
    timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always use protection!!!
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Studies show that the first stall as soon as you walk in is the least used...so I always use first stall...and you gotta hover man. And you flush with your foot..I refuse to touch anything!

This!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have never once in my life ever used a public restroom for anything other than a piss.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I sit on the toilet. Like a normal person. I have yet to get any infection or disease. Silly people.

Us folks live on the edge huh?
    I do use my foot to flush though, just out of habit
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

REALLY.........

I DO like those restrooms that have the auto-cover thingy that rotates around, though. You dont' have to touch a thing, and it gives you a clean seat :)

If there's obvious ick on the seat, I will do my best to disinfect, or go to another stall, though.

People are such germophobes.
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just sit and use the toilet folks! (hoverers just splash urine all over everything and while urine is sterile and has no germs, the idea is just gross). Unless you have open sores on your butt, germs aren't going to get in. The risk in public bathrooms is from germs on your hands. People don't realize how much they touch their noses , their mouth, rub their eyes during the course of the day.. that's how you get sick. And there are germs everwhere, toilet is probably least of the issues. How about ATM keypads, and the debit swipers at stores, or the pens the pens they give everyone to sign credit slips with??????

As for the foot flushing method... think about this - go back in the toilet rest room past. Three people before you... person 1 uses his foot flush. Person 2 uses his foot to flush. Person 3 uses his hand. So now person 3 not only has the "normal" gems from the toilet and handle on his hand, he has whatever nasty germs the previous two people stepped in that was on their shoes on his hands. He turns the lock on the stall door, leaving all those germs. He turns on the water faucet, germming it up.

Now you come in and foot flush... great... but when you open the stall door and turn on the faucet, you're gonna get the germs on you anyway. So what's the point of the foot flush??? In a sense you end up with more germs because of the foot flushers.

Use the bathroom like a normal person, thoroughly wash your hands and use the papertowels that you dry your hands with to turn off the faucet and open the bathroom door. If there are only blowers in the bathroom, you're screwed anyway because you have nothing to open the door handle with and as soon as you touch it, those germs (including the ones of people who didn't wash their hands) are on you.

I am in full support of taking precautions and washing your hands frequently but I think people get hysterical about it. In my parents day never heard of anyone dieing, getting sick, getting an STD from a public bathroom.

Longest answer ever to a simple question!! I almost didnt take the time to read it.....I'm glad I did. Many, many, many good points. I agree.....use the bathroom like a normal human being and use a paper towel to open the door (if available) and you will have no more germs on you than if you didnt even enter the restroom. I personally am a foot flusher but most public bathrooms are automatic now anyway. After reading some of these answers.....geesh....your lives must be so difficult. Wash your hands and you'll all be ok.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just sit and use the toilet folks! (hoverers just splash urine all over everything and while urine is sterile and has no germs, the idea is just gross).

THIS. You have NO idea how pathetic it is to have to clean a hoverers pee off a toilet seat before I sit. I shouldn't have to do that.

And, for heavens sake. FLUSH!! I have NO idea what advantage there is to leaving your crap sitting in the toilet.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Right? I also sometimes flush using my unprotected hand. I learned (on Anderson, I think) that there really aren't as many germs as you'd think in a public bathroom. And that shoes transfer more germs to the toilet handle than hands. And, as long as you wash your hands, you'll be fine.

Germs aren't as big a deal as people make them out to be. Exposure to everyday germs keeps the immune system strong. My kids touch everything, chew on everything they can find, and rarely wash their hands. They never get sick.