Does it really matter if sugar, carbs etc, is over ?

Options
2»

Replies

• fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sugar- Doesn't really matter if you go over, just don't go crazy with it
    Protein- .8-1.5g per lb. of body weight. (if you have a high bf%, use 1g/lb. LEAN MASS)
    Fat- Try to get around .3-.5 g per lb body weight.
    Carbs- Just try to get enough to meet your calorie goal while also meeting your protein & fat requirements.
    Fiber- Get at least 20 grams per day.
    Sodium - doesn't matter that much, just don't go crazy and eat like 5000mg a day

You're right in that sodium does not matter much in terms of general weight loss, but eating under 1500 mg a day SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the amount of fluctuation on the scale because you retain a lot less water...also anything over 2500 mg is considered "unhealthy" by the powers that be, haha
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You're right in that sodium does not matter much in terms of general weight loss, but eating under 1500 mg a day SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the amount of fluctuation on the scale because you retain a lot less water...also anything over 2500 mg is considered "unhealthy" by the powers that be, haha

Any water retained from excess sodium can be counteracted by drinking more water.

Yes it can be unhealthy to eat tons of sodium but it won't affect your weight loss.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I never watched carbs or sugar and still lost 40lb
    I don't watch my carbs at all. I don't eat junk (well, not much), or sweets, and I'm still losing weight.

Are you losing weight due to losing fat, or due to losing lean muscle? (Maybe both.) Lean muscle needs protein to rebuild. If you are getting enough protein you are probably ok even if your sugars/carbs are out of whack. But without the sugars you may be able to lose faster.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm always going over my sugers and carbs! Like 30 or more!

If I stay around a few points of the recomended amout will I lose faster???

Or is it all the same... Cals in Cals out?

Need help figuring it out!

what matters is if you are doing better now, than you were before.
    a series of small sustainable changes... rather than changing everything at once pick a few things to improve after a while they become habit. Then change a few more things and so on and so on.
  • JamesGGAnderson
    JamesGGAnderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options

If you're exercising 3+ hours a day you would be losing a lot of sodium through sweat, as in 2000+ mg. You would probably want to consume more than 1500.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The real issue here is sensitivity. With carbohydrates more than the other macros (Fat, Protein), the individual sensitivity in terms of insulin response varies quite a bit. The most effective approach to carb consumption is determining where YOU sit on the spectrum of sensitivity.

Unfortunately, this is a very unique balance point, and no two body chemistries are the same, so advice as to specific intake is often misleading. So long as you recognize that fact, you can certainly play with this often misunderstood macro to get the results you're looking for.

If you think I missed the point of the thread, just replace the word carb with sugar and read again.

THIS EXACTLY!!!

I exercised like crazy and followed the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, and barely managed to lose 7 pounds. I cut my carbs down to 100g NET and have lost 14.6 pounds in 8.5 weeks. Seems clear to me that my body doesn't like too many carbs...

Netting such low carbs is quite a change from being a "carb fattie."

Most of that weight is probably excess water that your body got rid of since there wasn't as much carb to soak it up.

so you're trying to tell me that I have lost almost 15 lbs of WATER?! I don't think so... I will concede that the first 5 lbs after I cut carbs *might* have been water, but you will NOT convince me that I have lost mostly water for the last 8 weeks.

No it's not all water. Carb cycling has been shown to work for some people to lose fat. I'm just letting people know that it's not for everyone and it's certainly not sustainable for everyone. If you really need your number on the scale to drop that quickly then go ahead.

To add an anecdote, I gained 6lbs in 3 days from increasing my carb intake. 6lbs of water.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options

If you're exercising 3+ hours a day you would be losing a lot of sodium through sweat, as in 2000+ mg. You would probably want to consume more than 1500.

Not to be pedantic but, "The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that anyone exercising for more than one hour should consume 500 to 700 mg of sodium for each 32 oz. of water they consume."
  • owl92
    owl92 Posts: 74
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

If you eat your daily maintenance calories and then eat 500 calories of chocolate or 500 calories of fruit every day for a week (roughly), you'll gain a pound.

What carbs/fats/proteins do is dictate body composition.

this fo sho.
  • juliannad96
    Options
    I am asking the same question! I always go over in carbs and under in fats in a day. Not because I eat cookies all day, but because I love fruit! Also, I come from an Italian family so I do eat pasta at least twice a week, but so far I am seeing results! I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are under or meet your daily recommended calories.
  • benegesserit
    Options
    If I eat the "recommended" amount of carbs/day, I don't lose weight. For me, I need to limit carbs.

It's useful for me to look at both the carbs/day and the sugar/day. I try to minimize sugar as much as possible.

Your mileage may vary.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

If you eat your daily maintenance calories and then eat 500 calories of chocolate or 500 calories of fruit every day for a week (roughly), you'll gain a pound.

What carbs/fats/proteins do is dictate body composition.

This.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to worry about the apple and peanut butter. I'd worry more about ADDED sugars, like jams, commercial baked goods, sweeteners, candies, processed foods and the like.