Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How can anyone even defend this gym?
    It might not meet your needs, but it certainly meets the needs of many. :flowerforyou:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    How can anyone even defend this gym?

They're individually owned so maybe your bad experience (if you ever went to one) isn't reflective of all.
    If you are not lifting heavy and don't do the lifts that aren't allowed it's a non issue. When I went to gyms that had body builders I still used the same things I use at PF - I still did not do dead lifts so what difference?

At my PF the lunk alarm has never sounded. There are plenty of fit men and women with muscle walking around.

We don't all work out the same. If everyone wanted to join PF it'd just be that much more crowded. It's not a one size fits all gym.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Plus they have breakfast and pizza nights there which defeats the whole purpose of working out (so what? you can devour pizza while all sweaty?)
    You never eat pizza?

Going to the gym for pizza is like going to the library to rent Twilight.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, anyone know anything about the gym? They are coming to our town soon I hear.

I'm a member-low fees but it's not the best gym...I don't know, I don't like the vibe I guess. Plus they have breakfast and pizza nights there which defeats the whole purpose of working out (so what? you can devour pizza while all sweaty?)

I've been going there for almost three years and not once during that time did anyone force me to eat pizza or bagels. Matter of fact, I haven't eaten the pizza, bagels or the tootsie rolls in the time I have been a member. If you don't want to eat it or think you shouldn't eat it, then don't.

I get a kick out of all these folks who are posting to this thread basically saying that those of us who work out at PF somehow are less dedicated to working out because the gym isn't all that. To many of us it IS all that. It provides us with what we want and need in a gym, I personally don't want or need classes, daycare, a pool or a personal trainer. If that's what you want/need, more power to you, but that's no reason for you to look down your nose at those of us who don't.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options

I get a kick out of all these folks who are posting to this thread basically saying that those of us who work out at PF somehow are less dedicated to working out because the gym isn't all that. To many of us it IS all that. It provides us with what we want and need in a gym, I personally don't want or need classes, daycare, a pool or a personal trainer. If that's what you want/need, more power to you, but that's no reason for you to look down your nose at those of us who don't.
    [/quote

To each their own- I like PF. :drinker:
    It meets MY needs. I am evidently dedicated because i'm there. My goals are not to be a big beefy dude with TONS of muscles- and if that's what you want then you go where you can best get it, instead of looking down on someone who has different needs. Half of me wants to say be nice everyone and calm down... The other half wants to say if the boneheaded people who act like "i lift things up and put them back down" are so heated over this they should lay off the supplements and they'd be hapier and have less roid rage! ... Ok- Done.:blushing:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One thing I realized this morning...

So many are quick to point out the pizza and bagels at Planet Fitness, saying how unhealthy that is. I personally eat bagels for breakfast most mornings, and have pizza at least once a week. I don't think either of those foods are bad. There's healthier options, sure, but no one is going to die from eating a bagel, unless they choke on it.

But no one ever says, "If you're going to the gym to be HEALTHY, why would you go into a TANNING BOOTH?!" :laugh:
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Love them!! So affordable and huge! They have a 30 min abs room with all abs machines and equipment, a stretch room with kettle bell and stretch equipment and a circuit training room! Love Love Love it! Also tanning and facial rooms and free weights a million cardio machines and only 10 dollars a month! It really is a judge free environment and you feel so comfortable working out there. That's been my personal experience. Definitely take a tour if you get one near by!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! I am big on cardio, so it is perfect! Lots of machines, but only a smallish weight area. So if ur looking to bulk up, it might not be ideal. Plus, I really like the flexible hours (M-F open 24hours, and Sat and Sun until like 9Pm), You can;t beat it for $10 a month for the basic membership. Good Luck!
  • Chitwood77
    Options
    Are you kidding me, The Works! All The Works is good for is to nickle and dime their members, $60+ a month for dues and having to rent everything and pay hefty fees for things that should be included. The Works is geared for the wealthy family, not meat heads. You left a good thing all because you can't workout without grunting, that's too funny. I know The Works if your the meat heat you sound like then they don't want you either, not to say there's anything wrong with being a meat head its a choice but I see no validity in your comment
  • Elite4LifeDono
    Options
    The one by me is full of low-life gang-bangers.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of memberships with PF...as a broke student type they've always been great for me. I've been to quite a few and they've always had a good free weights section...I liked it b/c it's less intimidating than other gyms when you're just starting off.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    worst gym i've ever worked out at. i'm sure many are set up differently, but the one i went to had about 150 cardio machines, 6 smith machines, a floor of the weight machines, and 0 squat racks, and just two small racks of dumb bells.

and for a gym that advertises "no lunks" there was a ton of lunks. and unlimited tanning?? wtf mate.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Been going there for 3 months now. Excellent gym. They have everything, free weights, machines, tanning, drinks, massages, classes. The great thing is you don"t have people walking around trying to sell you on joining a "training" package or anything. Join if you can, you will not regret it.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    oh one more thing, the one I go to is adding a barber shop, and haircuts are free for black card members (21.00 a month)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My Planet fitness has a scale, free weights, tons of cardio machines and weight machines, and for $10 a month, I love it! Unless you're someone who's a big time very heavy lifter/bodybuilder, it's a great place. I know alot depends on the owner of the individual franchise, but I went in to check mine out the week they opened (2.5 yrs ago) and have been very happy with it. They gave me a tour and are always friendly and helpful. My gym is always super clean too which is great.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I recently cancelled my membership, but mostly due to billing issues (my card on file expired, and even though I paid the balance as soon as I got the notice, they tried to whack me for another $80 because I didn't pay it before the 10th of the month. I got the notice on the 11th!) and I just plain HATE going to the gym. I'm going to put the money I would spend on a membership towards building a home gym.

It's ok for a basic gym. The local ones don't have free weights, but if you're ok with weight machines, treadmills, ellipticals and bikes, and don't want extras like classes, a pool or daycare, they're fine.
  • DawnHowdyshell
    DawnHowdyshell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love PF also! I have the "Black" membership as well. We have quite a few in our area So its nice to change the scenery. And true they dont have a scale but for 20 dollars a month who cares! I have a scale already at home. Good luck to you it will be worth it!
  • MerBear1FL
    MerBear1FL Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a membership to Planet Fitness. I pay $20.00 a month and it includes unlimited guests, weekly haircuts, massage chairs, and tanning. I am able to bring my boyfriend to every single work out without having to pay any additional fees or get a new membership.

The gym has free weights, Cybex Machines, a huge cardio section with individual TV per piece of equipment, and a circuit section similar to "Curves". I wish it had classes to attend but oh well what do you expect for $20.00.

I recommend Planet Fitness
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Love PF, very clean, lots of machines and free weights and extremely affordable. Never have had a problem with billing. It comes out of my credit card every month like clockwork. I go there so much I probably owe them money.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i hate that i got suckered to post in a five month old thread.