HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options

Replies

• skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hair almost to my waist right now....I wash it every other day, but switched to WEN or Organix products, especially the aragon oil one in the green bottle...works much better. also switched from a pony tail to a high bun while I work out so it keeps it away from neck and face. that has helped....otherwise, I wear it up on day two if it feels dirty.....besides that showering with the really ugly cap on to keep my hair dry only makes it look worse. I see why professional lifter chicks cut their hair short.

Jess
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same problem....then I began to take fish oil (I use mega red krill oil - but any would work) and that helped a ton with skin and hair. I also have thin fine hair, so I use Aussie leave in conditions on my non wash days....it kind of refreshes my hair after a work out. I am sure if you keep trying you will find something that works for you, as each of us is very different. Best of luck! Blessings!!! <><
  • DaltonsMom910
    Options
    I do not have this problem, but I've heard of people using baby powder or scented body powder in their hair if they don't want to wash it everyday. Just let your hair down & let it somewhat air-dry, then put powder in your hair & let it set, then comb it out. Then maybe pull your hair up in a cute clip or braid it or something. My hair is thick, straight & fine & gets oily easy, too, but I wash mine everyday anyway & it doesn't really make a different. I just always put a lite leave-in condition on my hair to keep it from drying out but it doesn't make it too oily.

Also, I have used the original Dove brand shampoo/conditioner & I noticed that when I sweated, my hair smelled really good b/c the shampoo smell was stronger when I sweated, & then let it air-dry or blow-dry it & it should still smell good. Just a though.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate washing my hair everyday too. Sometimes I just wash my bangs and keep my hair in a pony tail. But I'd rather workout and have a sweaty head than not workout.
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Did any of y'all see the whole "conversation" (read: controversy) during the fall when the current Surgeon General made a plea to women to start worrying more about their health than their hair? I think it started as an African-American hair conversation but then it became clear that it's an every-woman problem. It was in the Times and on NPR and other places: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/surgeon-general-calls-for-health-over-hair/

I get so frustrated trying to do something sensible with my hair. The summer is the absolute worst. For the rest of the summer I am going to wash it every other day, towel dry it/let it air dry while I have breakfast and then put it up in buns or french braids before I walk out the door. I thought about working out at night so that I have more time for the routine but I really prefer working out in the morning.
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Now imagine having very thick long wavy curly hair........ :/
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yep that's my main excuse, but more the showering in general. I shower every other day, because the water makes my skin dry and gross, and I hate using skin lotion because it feels so slimy (*blech*). my hair gets all sweaty and gross and it sucks!!!

mostly I tell my head to stfu and just deal with the dry-slimy-sweaty-grossness and work out anyways ^-^"
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    You can actually style your hair easier with dirty hair. I would suggest sticking with the dry shampoo. If not, just rinse your hair out and just use conditioner on the ends of your hair or leave in conditioner. I guess that doesn't take away the having to blow dry it, though.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I get the Redken All Soft shampoo and condition and that has really helped my damaged hair. I'd wash the roots with shampoo, rinse it out, then wash with shampoo again. Condition the ends and I'm good to go for a couple days during the summer not shampooing. After my workouts, I'll show and condition the ends and I'll be set. That being said, hair is so unique, just keep experimenting until you find something that works for you. :)
  • harprsbzr
    harprsbzr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Okay, some of you might not like this but I'm just going to say it...set your priorities! Is your hair more important than getting a workout? Could you do different workouts on different days? For example, on the days you are going to shampoo your hair; do a really strenuous hard workout like running, "intensity" DVD, crossfit class/spinning class etc. On the other days, do more relaxing workouts in an airconditioned room like a DVD on yoga, pilates, stretching, weight training etc. NOT to say you won't sweat mind you, it just will be less yucky. Second suggestion; time for a new hair style possibly? There are some really chic cool looking styles these days for all ages that are more easily managed. Ladies, life is too short to spend 20 minutes in the shower (unless you are with a special someone :wink: ) and an hour on your hair. Unless if you are wealthy and don't work and really have the time to do this, find another way. Ask your hairstylist and get tips from current magazines. Sometimes after shampooing a cute up-do with a cool clip is all you need to look fresh and pretty (especially for the summer heat!:glasses: ) PS. I hope I didn't offend anyone. :ohwell:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Okay, some of you might not like this but I'm just going to say it...set your priorities! Is your hair more important than getting a workout? Could you do different workouts on different days? For example, on the days you are going to shampoo your hair; do a really strenuous hard workout like running, "intensity" DVD, crossfit class/spinning class etc. On the other days, do more relaxing workouts in an airconditioned room like a DVD on yoga, pilates, stretching, weight training etc. NOT to say you won't sweat mind you, it just will be less yucky. Second suggestion; time for a new hair style possibly? There are some really chic cool looking styles these days for all ages that are more easily managed. Ladies, life is too short to spend 20 minutes in the shower (unless you are with a special someone :wink: ) and an hour on your hair. Unless if you are wealthy and don't work and really have the time to do this, find another way. Ask your hairstylist and get tips from current magazines. Sometimes after shampooing a cute up-do with a cool clip is all you need to look fresh and pretty (especially for the summer heat!:glasses: ) PS. I hope I didn't offend anyone. :ohwell:

I agree with this 100%... except with the pilates part. Those usually work up more of a sweat than when I go on a jog! Pretty intense. lol Love pilates though <3
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's glorious having kinky curly hair that's too dry to need shampooing more than once a week.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Okay so it's not just me lol I haven't skipped workouts for that reason but washing my hair every day is drying my hair out :(
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I let mine air dry after sweating and put it up in a pretty clip or use a curling iron to put a few spiral curls in it. It takes the curl better dirty! lol

this....
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness hun! I know the feeling. I am african american and hate getting my hair wet period. IT'S CALLED A WIG OR HAIR PIECE!!!! FOR REAL. I used to skip working out just because I did not want to sweat my hair back.. Oh heck no, and I'm not embarrassed to say it. I braided that mess up and threw on a wig and that's a she wrote. I can't get perms like most girls so I do what I have to do. I still shampoo my real hair, and it is almost down to my rear end, from not putting any heat on it. JUST KEEPING IT REAL. Not going to let anything keep me from working out!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of fine hair, and it gets greasy easily. Try JUST using conditioner on the days you aren't shampooing, you have to get used to how your hair feels (similar to a dry shampoo, still dirty feeling, or at least to me). I work out daily, and my schedule as far as my hair is shampoo (wear down and styled), conditioner only (wear down, or the front up if its feeling flat), dry shampoo (usually wear it up that day), then repeat. Your hair may take around a week or two to adjust to this schedule, but it will and honestly your hair never looks as bad as you think it does. Also, big, sexy, hair, makes a powder that you put in your hair for volume and it helps suck up the grease in your hair as well. Also buy a more moisturizing shampoo/conditioner for your hair and use a leave-in conditioner, redkin has a leave in conditioner that is a good price and lasts forever. Shampoo if you have the money bed head or matrix products are amazing, if not I really like pantene beautiful lengths or John Frieda Root Awakening.

I sweat like a 600 pound man so I feel your pain, but I've honestly just learned ways to work around it and ways to put my hair up that I can do with my hair wet so it air dries, or shower at night and let my hair air dry over night. Play around with products until you find one you like, and ask your hairdresser for advice. Look at Ulta for stuff as well when its on sale, they usually put the liters of salon shampoo on sale for pretty cheap pretty regularly.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Try washing with conditioner. Sounds crazy (it's the whole theory behind Wen) but it works. I wouldn't do it every single day and give up shampoo 100% because I like squeeky clean hair. Look for a conditioner without silicones. V05 (the cheap stuff for a buck) works REALLY well, comes in a bazillion scents and is CHEAP. I wish I could afford Wen....

I have thin fine hair too. AND I have a chin length bob, gets dirtier even faster.
    Absolutely this!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my hair tangles easily (kinky, curly and coarse) so what i've been doing is keeping my hair in styles that I can easily wash and dry without having to style it. so, i wear a lot of 2 strand twists and braid styles. it does get annoying to not be able to wear an "out" style too often, but this is the only way (besides cutting it really short) to be able to workout like i do and not have to worry about tangles.

i mainly wash with conditioner (3 times a week) and will only use shampoo once a week or so. i also make my pool time coincide with the shampoo day.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My new hairdresser told me to make sure I comb through my hair immediately post-workout when it's all sweaty. It seems counterintuitive, since you'd think the salt in the sweat (and oh man do I sweat) would dry it out, but he to,d me the sweat mixes with scalp,oil and combing transports that down the hair shaft too.

I work out every day, and wash my hair every day. I comb it out first, and every other day when I shave my legs I tie it in a bun with conditioner on it while I shave 'em. (Maybe I suck at it but shaving my whole llegs take 10-15 minutes so that's a bonus interval for the conditioner every second day.

I don't blowdry or use any styling products, and my long hair is still soft and shiny. The idea of skipping a workout to avoid shampooing seems so absurd I can't really wrap my mind around it.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, greasy hair = very dry scalp from too much shampooing. The skin of the scalp overcompensates by producing too much oil, but you can reverse this trend ... though it can take weeks to months.

Cut back on shampooing frequency, cut back on shampoo detergent strength (the more it foams, the dryer that shampoo tends to make your scalp), and shampoo only gently at/around the scalp (the hair tips don't get dirty and really don't need shampoo).

I've never tried dry shampoos, though I've read a lot about them.