Tracking Calories...a diet killer

Options

Replies

• TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    Your body/stomach goes by the weight of the food not the calories.

HUH?
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    One thing I always think about before I begin a new diet is whether or not I should track calories to make sure I am eating a certain limit. But by the 2nd or third day, I become so annoyed and can't stand to do it anymore.

Would anyone else agree with me that tracking calories can be a diet killer by frustrating you?
    I never complained about counting calories in the first place, I simply said that it makes me frustrated and I personally know people who have given up because of it.

Yer kinda wishy-washy...ya know that?
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, I disagree totally.
    I enjoy tracking calories, and it's habit now. I know the general calorie count and macro breakdown of most foods just by looking at it. If this is not your thing, there are alternative methods, but at day's end it all comes down to a simple math equation.
    Calories In vs Calories Burned
    That's it.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    I gained my weight (almost all of it) from alcohol...not coors light or bud light, but full on calorie alcohol...and when you party 2-3 times a week and consume 4-6 200 calorie drinks on top of your normal food for a year, it starts to add up.

It had nothing to do with counting calories, what happened is I ate (or in this case) drank food items that didn't make me feel full or satisfied. If I would have eaten 4000 calories worth of extra chicken it wouldn't have came back.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Where on there does it say "if you count calories you are a complete idiot"? Nowhere, I stated MY opinion and ASKED for others. But telling me that I am stupid for coming onto a website where a lot of people count calories and asking if some people get frustrated by that is pretty rude.
  • sarinaturner
    sarinaturner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find counting calories keeps me focused and accountable for what I put in my mouth. When I didn't count calories I was kidding myself as far as the amount I was eating. I now measure and chart EVERYTHING eat.

This =)

EDIT: Also, I have to say I like tracking on this website because I am happy to see that 'pretty green number' at the end of the day.... and I know if I go and eat something else it will turn into an 'ugly red number w/ a minus sign in front of it'... I don't wanna see that... lol
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    How is this concept so difficult to understand? Go eat 10 cans of greenbeans (a total of 700 calories) I promise you wont eat again today, and look! You only had 700 calories and you were full!

Clear, now?
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Disagree. For me, tracking calories has been an eye opener. I've completely changed the way I eat. I wouldn't have done that without seeing what each bit I take is worth. I also wouldn't be exercising as much.
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To the original poster....I have to respectfully disagree on several points.
    Point 1.....I don't feel calorie counting is a 'diet' killer....first of all most of us are on here not because we need to diet, but because we need to change our lifestyles...that happens to include eating, how we eat, why we eat, what we eat, etc. It also includes regular exercise, drinking plenty of water, maintaining a healthy attitude, for some of us accountability, support, well-thought out suggestions.
    For me, not just calorie counting, but keeping up with carbs, proteins, fats, sugars, ..... helps me to realize what I am putting into body each day. This helps me regulate not only my weight, but diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, and the list could go on.
    Point 2....Nutrition matters....not just whether we are putting a certain amount of calories in our mouths, but are they beneficial? Everyone 'needs' good fats daily. Avocados are a way to get good fats. I think boning up on nutrition would be very advantageous for you, as it is for all of us.
    Point 3....That's fantastic that you have lost some 75 pounds over the years....BUT you are here because you have regained some or all of it. Hence, nothing was learned or heeded.
    I am here because I need it, my health demands a change and I am ready and willing to do it and learn. I know there will be stumbling blocks along the way....but also that each of them are a CHOICE.
    It's a change in lifestyle.....not a diet....and until a person is ready to accept that....no fad, website or top-selling book means a thing.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    And what exactly do I have to learn from this statement?

High calorie foods cause you to gain weight period. They could be strawberries or they could be KFC.

The point Ive been trying to make is about VOLUME your stomach can hold.

high calorie foods eaten in excess of whatever the energy your body burns, makes you gain weight - so does low calorie foods....:huh:

Volume??? Where on earth did you get that? Your body does not care about volume, it cares about nutrition and energy.....:laugh:
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Just like I told someone else...go eat 10 cans of greenbeans, you will feel FULL and you won't eat again today (ONLY 700 CALORIES, woo hoo!), I promise..because you know your stomach is a certain size...and physically your food is a certain size.

Did you even go to a high school?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you stopped drinking?:laugh:
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

High calorie foods cause you to gain weight period. They could be strawberries or they could be KFC.

For example:

Someone who is overweight wouldn't run to the store and buy a bunch of avocados...they may be healthy but they will set you back for the time being. The whole point of a good diet is to get vitamins and nutrients but at the same time, EAT FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL SATISFIED.

Yes, you can drink chocolate milk, yes you can eat avocados, yes you can have macaroni and cheese but will the portion size of those things fill you up like a side of green beans or carrots? NO!

The point is people often struggle dealing with hunger (myself) and telling them to eat less of a good tasting (or good for you item that can be substituted like avocados) in my honest opinion is terrible advice! You want them to eat foods that have less calories but help them feel full...which I dont see avocados doing for the calories it possesses.

You do seem to have a fair bit to learn about nutrition. Saturated fat is really the main thing to avoid. And strawberries are not a high calorie food at all. If you're in college you might think about throwing a nutrition class in there. And just as an fyi, some people have put on weight because they under-ate for years without realizing it, and slowed their metabolism as a result.

Also, quoting posts is good when you're replying to a specific comment.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are avocados "bad"? If you are losing weight, absolutely. That would be counterproductive. But if you are a weightlifter and you can support/need more calories than someone who doesn't do weightlifting, no. right now, I wouldn't touch any avocados.

You have got to be kidding on this one!! Avocados are extremely good for you. You need to budget your calories to make room for the important nutrients you need - and many of those are found in avocados!
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do. I really think that is why I down loaded the MFP app to my phone .. when I can't sit and log log log.. I scan scan scan.. Being a mother of 4 kids and running all day I can't really sit up and pick over what I eat. Trust me it will pay off but yes some days I feel like THIS SUCKS!! You are worth it ! keep up the good work!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The process of tracking the calories (and the other aspects of the food you eat, i.e.: sodium, fat, etc.) is that it teaches you about the food you eat.
    This.

I tracked for about 3 months. The tracking taught me a lot about portion sizes and which foods were dense with calories. I stopped tracking and continued the weight loss for another 6 months. I recently started tracking again because I'm close to my year long goal and want to make sure I hit the mark.

Treadmill, elliptical trainer, bike, HRM, food scale, etc.; these are all tools that can be beneficial for weight loss and fitness. Tracking is just another tool.

I don't have any plans on tracking forever. I use tracking as a tool. Once I hit my target weight I'll probably stop tracking. If I gain weight I'll starting tracking again to get back on course. Once I get to a phase of adding muscle, I'll track again to make sure I'm getting enough protein.
  • Seahawks909
    Options

For example:

Someone who is overweight wouldn't run to the store and buy a bunch of avocados...they may be healthy but they will set you back for the time being. The whole point of a good diet is to get vitamins and nutrients but at the same time, EAT FOODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL SATISFIED.

Yes, you can drink chocolate milk, yes you can eat avocados, yes you can have macaroni and cheese but will the portion size of those things fill you up like a side of green beans or carrots? NO!

The point is people often struggle dealing with hunger (myself) and telling them to eat less of a good tasting (or good for you item that can be substituted like avocados) in my honest opinion is terrible advice! You want them to eat foods that have less calories but help them feel full...which I dont see avocados doing for the calories it possesses.

You do seem to have a fair bit to learn about nutrition. Saturated fat is really the main thing to avoid. And strawberries are not a high calorie food at all. If you're in college you might think about throwing a nutrition class in there. And just as an fyi, some people have put on weight because they under-ate for years without realizing it, and slowed their metabolism as a result.

Also, quoting posts is good when you're replying to a specific comment.

Thanks for the tip. I threw strawberries in the mix, because they are bit higher than a lot of vegetables.

I am not telling anyone to under eat, all I am saying is If you choose to eat a calorie dense food like mashed potatoes and either have a smaller portion or a smaller portion of another meal later, it is going to be harder on you to feel satisfied, because those potatoes aren't going to leave a physical impact on your stomach. I think this makes dieting harder.

That is all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your relation to food and your eating habits before.

i'm one of those people who got fat by eating a lot of food on a consistent basis. i can't trust my body to tell me when it's full because i can very well end up eating 2000 calories before i get that feeling.

my eyeballs are also greedy, so i cant eyeball measurements.

i'm tracking for now and i will probably continue o do so for the rest of my life.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    One thing I always think about before I begin a new diet is whether or not I should track calories to make sure I am eating a certain limit. But by the 2nd or third day, I become so annoyed and can't stand to do it anymore.

Would anyone else agree with me that tracking calories can be a diet killer by frustrating you? Most people have enough to worry about already. The way I go about it is I just know what a decent portion is and I know what is much less than what I use to eat, so I eat that amount. I think calorie counting is a way that people psych themselves out of staying on a diet because its one more hassle weighing and measuring food makes it even worse.

Anyone agree or disagree?

I don't agree at all that tracking calories is a diet killer. In fact, it helps me stick to my diet by realizing what I'm eating and it makes me stay within my calorie zone. Without counting my calories, I would never stay on my diet. It's a huge motivator to see what I've eaten for the day, what I did good and what I could change. If your not counting calories, and can realize how much you need to eat and what, and are still losing weight, then that's great. Do what works best for YOU. But I do believe that if you kept track, it would give you a better idea of what you need to fix. This isn't JUST about weight loss, it's about being healthy.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You will do it when you are 100% in the game...when you are motivated to lose the weight with no complaints. No one said the process is easy...stop taking the easy way out and just DO IT.
This discussion has been closed.