Tracking Calories...a diet killer

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if somebody is overweight (barring medical issues) -- not paying close attention to portion sizes, nutrition info and activity level is PROBABLY how they got there.

I've counted calories consistently for 8 years. It's a lifestyle -- not a diet.

For me, it wasn't portion sizes per se...It was just a lot of alcohol. I have been physically fit the past 3 years but turning 21 has been a nightmare for me (+college)

I lost an inital 25lbs and kept it off for 3 years because I changed what I liked to eat. I eventally (honestly) was disgusted by McDonalds, Taco Bell, ice cream. I was an obsessive exerciser until I tore both the tendons in my arm, I didn't do this form work out I did it from playing basketball incorrectly (bad shooting form after working out = bad idea) but not my body/mind has gone back to the cravings of McD's and what not. Personally, I know once I can get this off and cut out the booze that I probably won't need to worry about the total calories as much as knowing what I should stay away from.

If you wouldn't be overweight if you didn't drink, your issue isn't with food -- is it? Honestly, if you were consuming so much alcohol that it prevents you from losing weight or cause you to be overweight, maybe your weight was just a symptom of alcoholism. I'm not saying that to be rude, but most people who aren't struggling with their weight because of a specific medical issue are usually over/underweight because of a unhealthy relationship with food itself and that is why they NEED to track to have success.

It's great that you made certain changes and weight just fell off of you. As you age, that will likely slow. As somebody who has maintained weight loss for closer to a decade, it forces me to be be aware -- without necessarily being restrictive -- which isn't something I can live with long term.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem was portion distortion. Even for healthy foods. My idea of what a serving of olive oil or milk was WAY off of what it really was. I assumed I was eating healthy, and for the most part was, just too much.
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    Honestly, if somebody is overweight (barring medical issues) -- not paying close attention to portion sizes, nutrition info and activity level is PROBABLY how they got there.

For me, it wasn't portion sizes per se...It was just a lot of alcohol. I have been physically fit the past 3 years but turning 21 has been a nightmare for me (+college)

I lost an inital 25lbs and kept it off for 3 years because I changed what I liked to eat. I eventally (honestly) was disgusted by McDonalds, Taco Bell, ice cream. I was an obsessive exerciser until I tore both the tendons in my arm, I didn't do this form work out I did it from playing basketball incorrectly (bad shooting form after working out = bad idea) but not my body/mind has gone back to the cravings of McD's and what not. Personally, I know once I can get this off and cut out the booze that I probably won't need to worry about the total calories as much as knowing what I should stay away from.

If you wouldn't be overweight if you didn't drink, your issue isn't with food -- is it? Honestly, if you were consuming so much alcohol that it prevents you from losing weight or cause you to be overweight, maybe your weight was just a symptom of alcoholism. I'm not saying that to be rude, but most people who aren't struggling with their weight because of a specific medical issue are usually over/underweight because of a unhealthy relationship with food itself and that is why they NEED to track to have success.

It's great that you made certain changes and weight just fell off of you. As you age, that will likely slow. As somebody who has maintained weight loss for closer to a decade, it forces me to be be aware -- without necessarily being restrictive -- which isn't something I can live with long term.

Well the issue with alcohol is...it impaired my judgement..

So what happens (being a light weight or use to) I would drink and make the decision for another, then another, etc.

Afterwards (and around 1000 calories or so later) people would be like "lets order a pizza or have some drive us to taco bell" then you can add another 1000 calories on there + 2000 I ate already for my real meals...so that was the issue and once this started effecting my normal non-drunk mind is when things became bad.

But alcohol abuse was the main factor for me this time.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

So what happens (being a light weight or use to) I would drink and make the decision for another, then another, etc.

Afterwards (and around 1000 calories or so later) people would be like "lets order a pizza or have some drive us to taco bell" then you can add another 1000 calories on there + 2000 I ate already for my real meals...so that was the issue and once this started effecting my normal non-drunk mind is when things became bad.

Yeah, what I am saying to you is, tracking food calories isn't really a treatment for alcoholism -- it's a tool for people who have unhealthy issues with FOOD. Maybe if you had to stop and take time to write down what you are drinking, you'd drink less and consequently make better food choices. That's kind of how it works for people having success losing and maintaining weight by keeping a food journal.
  • Seahawks909
    Options

Yeah, what I am saying to you is, tracking food calories isn't really a treatment for alcoholism -- it's a tool for people who have unhealthy issues with FOOD. Maybe if you had to stop and take time to write down what you are drinking, you'd drink less and consequently make better food choices. That's kind of how it works for people having success losing and maintaining weight by keeping a food journal.

What you are saying is true, but I have had issues with food in the past and it now a part of my alcohol issue. I don't need to keep track of alcohol as it will impair my ability to work out the way I need/want to so its just going to be cut out completely and I think that will help me eliminate much of my weight off the bat over time. But make no mistake, I have food addictions to terrible food at this point in time.
  • bahsukh
    bahsukh Posts: 19
    Options
    Talking about portions. I am terrible. I love steamed vegetables. I get carried away and can have 3 cups of vegetables ( cauliflower,broccoli,carrots,mushrooms and a tomato). Along with it a decent size of baked chicken (3.5oz). Am I eating too many vegetables?
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I empty a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables into my steamer a couple times a week or more and that is five cups per bag. I feel great.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to do what's right for them. I tried counting calories and logging my food many, many times and got frustrated with it. But this time I downloaded the app on my phone and that seemed to be the thing that worked for me. Now I can't imagine not counting calories and logging my food.

It works for me. It doesn't for you and that's fine.

Whatever gets the weight off.
  • Elysian13
    Elysian13 Posts: 79
    Options
    I eat what I eat and eye ball it. If I go over oh well. It isn't like I am going over by eating 5 candy bars and pizza. I go over usually eating healthy stuff. Like a lot of people said it is a lifestyle change. Obsessing or worrying about calories is actually not healthy. :/ But I don't think you are doing that, as you said it is more frustrating. I eat right and exercise and call it good. :D
  • Seahawks909
    Options
    I eat what I eat and eye ball it. If I go over oh well. It isn't like I am going over by eating 5 candy bars and pizza. I go over usually eating healthy stuff. Like a lot of people said it is a lifestyle change. Obsessing or worrying about calories is actually not healthy. :/ But I don't think you are doing that, as you said it is more frustrating. I eat right and exercise and call it good. :D

Great post! I agree.
  • makaleha
    makaleha Posts: 1
    Options
    It works for me at least at the start for about a month so I have an idea of how much to eat in a day. Then yes it gets a bit much to enter info every time I have a meal especially since i have 6 or more meals. But I do check back every once in a while when I add new foods to my di....I mean my new eating style.
  • xKazaf
    xKazaf Posts: 7
    Options
    Tracking calories wasn't the problem. Actually I use to not count calories and just cut off all things I like and replace it with 'good' food which killed me.

However tracking calories, only avoiding a few things is much easier and I can actually stick to eating better rather than think and feel like I'm on a 'diet'.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    One thing I always think about before I begin a new diet is whether or not I should track calories to make sure I am eating a certain limit. But by the 2nd or third day, I become so annoyed and can't stand to do it anymore.

Would anyone else agree with me that tracking calories can be a diet killer by frustrating you? Most people have enough to worry about already. The way I go about it is I just know what a decent portion is and I know what is much less than what I use to eat, so I eat that amount. I think calorie counting is a way that people psych themselves out of staying on a diet because its one more hassle weighing and measuring food makes it even worse.

Anyone agree or disagree?

For me disagree. Counting calories is not a big deal for me, and frankly is the thing that has worked for me. I fully realize this is not the case for other people who find it nothing but a pain. If it does not work for you, don't do it.
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    I don't totally look at my calories..I mostly keep check on my carbs. When I started losing weight I was just watching carbs and not calories. Now that I am trying to do both my weigh loss has slowed down, so I decided to just keep track of my carbs and keep doing
    my walking regimen and hope that the weight starts falling quickly like it was before.
  • martinld
    martinld Posts: 1
    Options
    you said it best!
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't count calories I way underestimate how much I eat and I don't lose anyway.

Luckily MFP makes it really easy to keep track of calories.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it is a lifestyle change, are you really going to count calories your entire life?

Yes. I would be more than happy to do this for the rest of my life (or until it became completely unnecessary)
    It takes a few minutes of my day (max) to track what goes in my mouth - I'd far rather do that than be fat forever.
    I guess it depends how much you want it. I want it A LOT.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is the only way I've had any success in years. It helped me to see HOW MANY calories I was eating and to be aware of what I am eating now.

I don't want to have to do it for the rest of my life. I think that I will eventually be able to identify what a good portion is and to keep up with a good meal in mind and not have to do this forever.

But, everyone has to do what works for them. If counting calories does not work for someone, then they should try something else. Everyone is different.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree. After years of being restricted by diets I find calorie counting really liberating as I can actually eat whatever I like as long as it is counted. This also means that I don't then feel guilty for eating a 'non-diet/healthy' food which could lead to a depressive 'I've blown it so I may as well carry on eating crap' attitude. A win-win situation!
This discussion has been closed.