WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For exercise today I deep cleaned the house for a couple hours :frown: and did another 65 minutes of Zumba 2 on the Wii.:bigsmile: No energy left to walk with my husband and dog tonight. Not hungry enough to eat all my calories today.
    Have a great night everyone! Here in WA it wasn't unbearable hot today, unlike other parts of the country. How is everyone dealing with the weather these days?
  • 7djt
    7djt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello Group! I would like to join you. After a few false starts I believe i can make a commitment.

July Goals:

+ Exercise at least 4 days a week
    + Take steps to get organized. Start by cleaning my desk, then my office....
    + Pray everyday.
    + Find an exercise I can do for my inner thighs and do at least 10 everyday.

Thank you for this group!
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Too sexy - mmh nice thought! Hello Tibbstjt I'm sure this group could help you achieve your goals. Reading the posts the commitment to getting fit and healthy is awesome and very encouraging. Totally with you on the exercise Seventeendays it can be quite exhausting! Interested to know how the 30 day shred goes yoyonomore I am considering doing it but a bit concerned that the jumping, quick movements might not help my joints! Keep heading towards your targets:-)
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Michele, I love it. I am (must be!) WAY too sexy. Hee hee.

A couple of years ago I bought an old truck from my nephew. It used to belong to his grandma, who was 70 something when she was driving it. It's patchwork blue (definitely in need of a paint job). When I have it painted, I will make SURE the shop saves the sticker on the back that says SEXY GRANDMA. I just love that sticker.

I am STRUGGLING. Urgh. I don't know what else to say. Tomorrow, I'll log before I eat and work on staying on track. I get so frustrated with myself. (Chiclet, Hugs to you. I know what you're going through.) I know this is an inside job. There is not one thing outside myself that can make one iota of difference to me. I KNOW that. Sheesh.

I have the tools I need. I think it's a matter of "catching" myself sooner. I feel good about myself when I do that. I don't expect to be perfect but the imperfect times need to be fewer and shorter.

Barbie, you have been successful over a good long time now. I'm going to incorporate more of your strategies in what I'm doing. (I don't expect I'll ever spend most of the day exercising though!)

Here's a question for you. I'm serious here! You know I've had a hard time giving up the idea that I can take a "break" from time to time then get right back on track. I plain old don't do it. What is your strategy for going out to lunch or dinner and staying on track?

I am loathe to give up the idea of ever going out again but I admit doing it has been overwhelmingly challenging. I need either a NEW way to deal, or it's gotta be NO way. I really, really know how fortunate I am to be able to choose to go out from time to time. Not everyone has that choice. And I really, really don't want to give it up. But I will. If I have to...

I know I'm the only one, really, who can answer this question. But I would appreciate your thoughts.

xx
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I've been reading backwards through the posts to catch up. (I didn't start out to do that, but once I got started I kept clicking, one page at a time. It's odd to read the response to a question or comment before you've read the original question or comment!)

Anyways...a couple of people asked for my limeade recipe. I had to laugh. I don't know that this is really a recipe, but this is what I do: Squeeze the juice of 1/2 or 1 whole lime into a tall glass. Add 6 to 8 drops liquid Stevia. Fill the glass half way with crushed ice. Top it off with cold water. Stir and drink! i could drink it all day.

Warning: In re-reading this post before clicking, "Post Reply" I realized I'd better let you know that you might want to skip over the rest of my post. This is a lot of musing about what to do, what to do. Thinking out loud, in other words. Not very entertaining or edifying, but useful to me. Thanks for putting up with me!

Barbie, I noticed your comment, "Since I started on MFP, I do less reading except in bed or the bathroom and do crafts rarely.....when losing weight and being healthy became a top priority, other things had to go down farther on the list."

One of the things I did differently when I was losing weight consistently was to make eating right my absolute top priority. That meant giving up many of the habits developed over a lifetime.

I gave up almost all reading...a HUGE change. I spent less time at the computer. Another huge change.

Over the last few months, I slipped back into reading more (2-3 books a week) but have pretty much stopped that. (Not reading is a very strange thing for me to think of as "good"!) I'm not much of a TV watcher so that's not a problem. But, I am a computer junkie. It helped having my computer out of commission. But now that it's back....

I'm also starting up my writing business again. Even doing it part-time means time sitting, writing. (I worked at a computer, writing for businesses, for many years (many, many) before retiring a couple of years ago. I'm sure all that sitting was part of the reason I gained so much weight - I weighed 324 at one point, well over 100 pounds more than I weigh now.)

I could really use a little more money though. (Dontcha hate when reality rears its ugly head?!) If I could, I'd do something more active. But I can't think of anything anyone would actually pay me to do other than writing.

I'm the original fumble-fingers and a "slow-twitch", which makes working in a store (perish the thought anyway) not a very good idea. Once, when I was in my 20's, I worked as a waitress. Despite my best efforts, they fired me after 2 weeks....probably because I was too slow...or maybe it was that tray of "ketchups" that I dropped!

Anyhoo, all this to say that I'll probably be spending more time, rather than less, at the computer. Gaining weight is not acceptable though. So, in addition to my question about how to deal with special-occasion eating, I am working on figuring out how to deal with sitting more.

I'll be spending about 4 hours a day on the computer. I can break that up into two 2-hour segments. That should work.

Hmm. I have some glimmers of ideas to think about. I still covet your insights and wisdom though.

p.s. my question about strategies for special-occasion eating was meant for all of you, not just Barbie. (Although I do value her advice!)
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    GOod Morning, ALL!

The sun is shining, it is already 82 here, so another very warm day ahead!

Welcome! Welcome! All our new members...I wish you much success on your journey!

Mary: (Mimi/SVQ) How wonderful that you have a writing talent. I am so envious of that. I too love to read, although, I am reading less now than in the past. I admire someone who can communicate so well with words and I am sure you are already on to how to work at the computer and also move around enough to prevent gaining weight.

Eating out: I think it is a challenge for all of us, but the best stategy for me is going somewhere whose menu I already know and deciding ahead of time what I will have. If I want wine with dinner, then I pass on the bread and butter. I also try not to go when I am too hungry, so eating some VEGGIES ahead of time, keeps me from grabbing the bread that is put on the table! I love fish but don't love to prepare it at home, so I usually try to order fish with vegetables. NOW, having said ALL of this, I don't always follow through, but I have found over time that by having this stategy and being successful doing it, I then expect to be successful and it becomes the new normal. Does that make ANY sense? As far as desserts, my DH NEVER orders it, so unless we are with others I don't have a problem. With others, often someone will order one to share, and I will have a spoonful. Not too bad, huh? Good luck and I KNOW you can do it. I have tried to narrow my focus lately and deal only with "today". I think this is probably the best way to deal with everything!

Michelle: You ate 2 cupcakes? Can't believe it! But I will bet you have exercised them off already!!!

Chicklet: I am so sorry for all that you have going on. Barbie's advice, as usual, is spot on. Start each day with a graditude list AND try to get outside as much as you can. At least, for me, I need fresh air, sunshine and being in nature to feel at peace and to put other things in perspective. And talk to your doctor if you are still feeling so "down". Take care:flowerforyou:

yoyonomore: I started 30 day shred DVD a couple of times a week about 2 years ago, and I couldn't do all of the workout at first. What I found was that I could do a little more each time and now I can do them fairly easily. I will say, that some of the jump type movements were tiring for sure, but they have also given me way more stamina than I thought I could have at this stage in life. So my advice is, keep it up...just don't be discouraged if you can't do all of them every time. (I also found that not using weights the first few times helped until I got the movements done properly...then I added light weights and worked up) In fact, if I am in a slump, the first thing I do is add back more times with this DVD. It works! Good luck!:flowerforyou:

I meant to respond to so many more of you, but didn't take notes and now can't remember! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your weekend and for those of you in the extreme heat, take it easy!:drinker:

:heart: Kackie
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi Mimi

If I understand correctly you mean, once you have went off your plan for a meal out or whatever you don't get right back on to it? If I have that right then my thoughts would be "life is for living" there is nothing wrong with going out and enjoying the myriad of food choices and tastes. Perhaps you feel guilty for not having the healthiest option. As long as you are not eating out a lot I really can't see any harm in having a bit of what you fancy. In fact it helps me to stay on plan knowing that I can have what I want for lunch, or a cake when out for coffee occasionally. We don't do holidays but I imagine it would be more difficult then. If I picked you up wrong them my apologies for rambling. Be kind to yourself you are just as worthy of having nice things as anyone.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the temperature has dropped! The expected high is now forecast to be normal. The 80s sounds much better than 100+. It's a bit overcast today but apparently there's not much chance of rain here. I'm just happy it's cooler. Yesterday I was driving home in my very hot car (which had been sitting in the sun for a few hours) and I my back was positively stuck to the seat when I got home.

Wishing everyone well and success in reaching your goals.

Even though it's cooler, :drinker:

Lin
  • joyis1nchrist
    Options
    wow so many women all in one place! HI gang, glad to meet you. I am 56 and have been dieting since I was 10 (that is dieting in my own way as opposed to having imposed restrictions by mother prior to that age) and I swore that when I had weight loss surgery I would never diet again. But here I am today trying to follow the Atkins diet so I can lose enough weight fast to participate in a clinica trail of a drug combo to treat obesity!!! LOL

Goals for July? I do not usually set goals. For one I seldom achieve them, or I forget all about making them. So my goal for July will be to not be bound by goal setting; to allow myself to soar as high as I can in this moment only and then look back w satisfaction at a moment/day/month well-lived. I will continue to be rigorously honest and pursue a relationship w God and my fellows. And of course I will lose some more weight, ODATSJ.

Thanks, Joy
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Dear Barbie,

OOPS,
    I looked at the birthday list wrong. Today is not our leader Barbie's bday but BarbieCat1 who hasn't posted for awhile.
    Nonetheless...

0_birthday_pink_poodle.gif
    Many many happy returns of your day!
    Barbara
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one dayanimal-emoticon-0064.gif
    July: EVERY DAY: 3 fruits + 5 veggies, at least SOME mat work, average 10K steps, let it be. Really. and no hooch til the weekend!
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!

July: EVERY DAY: 3 fruits + 5 veggies, at least SOME mat work, average 10K steps, let it be. Really. and no hooch til the weekend!
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Okay, I made it through yesterday. Today may be a long day. One of my 3 teens -middle one -got in trouble-grounded etc. Instead of an apology, I am dealing with her anger. go figure.

All 5 of us went out for a birthday dinner and I knew it would get to me (i'm too sensitive). I took my walk before hand to stay strong! I didn't order bad things from the menu out of stress. (I did, however, order drinks and we walked to a bakery and I got a gelato... : (

Anyway, today may be a long day--one mad teen, the other two mad because that one is mad and ME? Just too darn sensitive to all of this. My husband is wonderful, but he can't fix it...

I will NOT have this effect my eating today! I will have a birthday cupcake, so I will plan accordingly. I will try to take a walk to de-stress and have a nice day. And I will smile for the 4 of us and ache for the 5th....
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Did 45 min at the grocery store this am and my knee is throbbing!:frown: After I get off here going to ice it and hopefully it'll settle down so I can do my water class tomorrow. Frustration level is way up!

On an up note going to have a date with hubby today and go to the movies (which we rarely do) and dinner, Taking a page from Michele's book and going to smuggle in water and pretzels to keep from eating crap and saving money. If I remember right, she was the one that was going to bring her own food to the game. Then dinner out but planning ahead and doing Applebees under 550 Roasted Garlic Sirloin! For me to plan food ahead this much is a big step! Even trying new recipes from Taste of Home Diet Cookbook. Took forever to find sun dried tomatoes even after asking the clerk! Never used them so we'll see.:wink:

Conniehv40 -I remember those days! Hopefully the anger will blow over soon. Sounds like you're handling it well!

Hope everyone has a beautiful stress free day! Stop and smell the roses!:smile: Hope that didn't sound too corny!
  • britborn52
    britborn52 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi - I would like to join this group and looking for friends to give and receive support.

Goals for July:
    Log everything I eat -
    Go to the YMCA at least 4 times a week
    Eat Healthy
    Find new friends on here for support

Have a great Sunday!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Great forum! My main goal for July is to walk 50 miles this month. I've been tracking my walks on Endomondo and gradually working up from 35 miles in May. I hit 35 miles without a goal, so thought, why not actually set some goals! I'd also like to lose 5 pounds in July. I've been rather lax in the eating realm, so that needs to stop.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Okay, I made it through yesterday. Today may be a long day. One of my 3 teens -middle one -got in trouble-grounded etc. Instead of an apology, I am dealing with her anger. go figure.

All 5 of us went out for a birthday dinner and I knew it would get to me (i'm too sensitive). I took my walk before hand to stay strong! I didn't order bad things from the menu out of stress. (I did, however, order drinks and we walked to a bakery and I got a gelato... : (

Anyway, today may be a long day--one mad teen, the other two mad because that one is mad and ME? Just too darn sensitive to all of this. My husband is wonderful, but he can't fix it...

I will NOT have this effect my eating today! I will have a birthday cupcake, so I will plan accordingly. I will try to take a walk to de-stress and have a nice day. And I will smile for the 4 of us and ache for the 5th....

I can remember and I feel your pain :sad: Although mine are now 21 and 19 and out of the house at college, I think the teen years are the hardest! And especially the hardest on Mom, Dads are tougher and let things roll of their backs, Moms tend to get emotional, I know I did. Hang in there! This too shall pass :bigsmile:
    Love Kat :glasses:
  • Brownbriar
    Options
    I have rejoined MyFitness because I need more than basic motivation to lose 65 pouns. I am 57, diabetic, and have both a broken back and bad knees, with recent knee surgery. Exercise is not something to factor in on a regular basis when trying to lose weight. Any words of wisdom?
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Hello Lovies!!!
    Im back from vacation and although we never made it to Washington (too long of a story so I won't "go there") we had a really fun time with my nephew and his wife in Sonoma! :bigsmile:
    :blushing:

:glasses: SO heres my embarrassing story for the month! So before we left for Sonoma/Santa Rosa we had a BBQ with some friends over (Dar on this list was there!!!) and we had some beers and I was just a bit tipsy and one of the friends from across the street is a Doctor and is very quiet and unassuming, so he tells me he is going to give me a sobriety test (as a joke) and his wife says "don't do it!", well I ignore her and walk over to him and what does he do?????????....he pushes me in the @#$%^& POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad: :sad:
    So he is all dressed in his Doctor Clothes because he came over from work so I march over drenched and dripping and I sit on his lap and get him soaked, well when I did this I turned and twisted in a way that I must of pulled a muscle in my rib cage because I am in soooooo much pain and have been for a week :grumble: :grumble: ...PLUS I woke up the next day with bruises all over my arms from struggling when he pushed me in the pool....my conclusion???? IM TOO OLD TO BE THROWN IN A POOL :blushing: :blushing: Yes we have a lot of fun here in La Quinta in 109 degrees :glasses: :glasses:

Anyway the trip to Santa Rosa was a lot of fun but trying to eat right was a struggle, we went wine tasting and we went out to dinner every night except the 4th which we BBQ'ed and had Tri Tip AND ribs! But I made it back and it looks like I only gained 1 pound which is not bad really :blushing:

But whew there were a lot of posts to read through!!!!!

A BIG HUGE WELCOME to all the NEWBEES!!!!! This is an awesome group of wonderful supportive women so jump right in and say whats on your mind, we are all here to listen, we may not respond to everyone right away but we are here listening :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: And Barbie is our fearless leader with the best advise and life lessons ALWAYS!!!!! (we love you Barbie :heart: )

Well Im off to clean my house and get to the market...I have more family coming to town next week, my house is always the summer vacation spot :bigsmile:

Remember to Move, Drink and Eat your calories!!!!!
    Love
    Kat :heart: :heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    I have rejoined MyFitness because I need more than basic motivation to lose 65 pouns. I am 57, diabetic, and have both a broken back and bad knees, with recent knee surgery. Exercise is not something to factor in on a regular basis when trying to lose weight. Any words of wisdom?

Welcome! I don't have any words of wisdom but I will say that Im a firm believer that exercise is NOT the key to losing weight, what you put in your mouth is. Count your calories, track them here EVERYDAY, drink your water and read the posts here. Stick to it and you will lose the weight. It takes time, its not something that happens overnight. Hang in there!!! and Welcome :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love
    Kat:heart:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Overcast Sunday here in Denver,

Just popping in to say HI as this is my last day of my 4 day weekend. I have my egg souffle's in the oven (my breakfasts for the work week ahead), hubby is mowing the back lawn before the afternoon thundershowers start again and we will head out on a bike ride in a few minutes.

We have had some great bike rides while I have been off which has helped my eating over this long weekend. I've tried not to do too much sitting and when I find we have been sitting doing nothing for too long I get up and do some puttering around the house. I really did need to get some seriouse house cleaning done but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Had lunch at Son #3 & DIL yesterday and they gave us a bowl and pictures from their missions trip to Africa where they were helping build a house for a woman in a pygmy village. We always enjoy our time with them.

Hubby is planning on us going to see Brave this afternoon after the bike ride and I just finished catching up on everyone's happenings. All of us so busy at our age:wink:

Chiclet, good to see you back, so sorry you are struggling but know we are here to support you.

Mimi, you know you are the Veggie Queen and I'm sure it won't take you long to grab hold of your title again:wink:

Barbiecat had a Birthday? or is it today? Anyway Happy Birthday:flowerforyou:

Amanda, I just read that you have been experiencing very heavy rains...hope you don't float away:laugh:

Welcome to all you newbies:flowerforyou: This is the best place to get the encouragement you need because we are all in the same boat:wink:

To the rest of you today is just one day and you can do whatever you are striving to do...we have age and exerience on our side...so let's keep logging that food and making some good choices, moving our bodies to burn those calories and drinking our water because we know it's good for us:drinker:

The timer just went off and I need to package my souffle's for the week. Everyone have a good day/evening where ever you are.

Laura80111:smile:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks!
    Megblair1….I am so sorry to hear about your experience in that yoga class. Just know there are many different kinds of yoga and yoga teachers. Don’t wait …..look around and find a class that feels right. I have been teaching yoga since I retired from school teaching and I can’t believe what I have heard. There are also gentle videos/DVDS out there that may be helpful to start. Lilias has a gentle one that may be a good start. That was a teacher error….not your fault!
    Sissy….I am so excited about working with the PT and the trainer to do just that! I am working at getting my knees as strong as I can. I don’t want any more surgeries!
    Drkatiebuy…. Good for you with the walking goals. I find I do better when I have a specific goal for a time period than when I leave things open-ended.
    Kackie….I hope the wedding is great fun!! Good that you vented and now be open to the joy!!! I ran into one of my old student’s mom when I was shoe shopping and we had a wonderful visit. He is her youngest and the last child to marry and she is just so excited. We were both in tears in the DSW aisle!! Have a great time!! (stay away from the crazy makers!!)
    Linda…Thanks for the recommendation!
    Chicklet…My first thought is that I just want to send you a hug. Then I’d like to wrap up all the positive energy from the people on this board who have been with us through all the ups and downs and send it to you right away!! Please know that it is great to come here and vent and get the inspiration, motivation or boost to pick yourself up, connect with the strong inner you and move forward….baby steps.
    Michele….I just need to say thank you…whenever I read your posts, I want to go exercise! Loved the Too Sexy quote!!
    Mimi…. I get the struggle part! Don’t you just hate the struggle!! I have described it like a switch…. Makes me wonder about the brain chemistry thing in all of this. I know that I have to come hear and read the words, listen to what’s working and put one foot in front of the other again. Setbacks are tough but I always come out with some new learning or relearning (I don’t like the relearning but I guess I need it!). My schedule varies from day to day. I tutor students for about 8 hours a week (in my house). I teach yoga (so that is moving) 3 hours a week but I don’t count it in my exercise time. I also write curriculum and that varies. I know that when I am spending a lot of time at the computer, I need to schedule in my time at the gym. This got tricky with my knees and neck issues since April. I was trying to ramp up my exercise and I ramped too quickly!! I do think it is all about balance. I am interested in hearing ideas from our group too.
    Kat….I will never take a sobriety test..Thanks for the sound advice! (Great story)

Have a good Sunday!
    Sally