Thoughts on Subway? Other 'healthy' food places?

Options

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love Subway. I worked there a long time ago. I usually get a foot long veggie on wheat. For me, It's about 500 calories (I can't resist the Chipotle sauce) and it keeps me full. They do have some really bad sandwiches, but like any other place, you just have to know what to order.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    On my college campus, Subway was by far the best dining option available. I got the veggie delite, no meat, no cheese, only vinegar added to it. Low cal, low fat, lots of veggies. I loved when they added spinach to their line-up.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    As long as you aren't planning to eat there every day, it's not bad. Depending on my calories for the day, I either get a salad or 6" sweet onion chicken teriyaki with a lot of veggies, and no cheese. For me, it's a last resort when I'm on my way to campus in the evening when the one healthy place there is already closed. I get it maybe once every month or so, maybe every other month.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My personal thoughts are the only thing that is healthy there is the salad with the baked chicken breast. Everything else is way to high in sodium to be deemed healthy for anyone.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Our town has a McDonalds, a Wendys, A&W, KFC, Quiznos and Subway, and I do not eat meat. Not a ton of choices. Subway is my first choice (veggie sub on whole wheat, no cheese or sauce) Wendys is my second. Baked potato and side salad.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a subway...for instance, we found rat poo in the tuna, they followed all procedures to complain about it, except throw it away, yep the poo was picked out and they served it...

That's awesome, because most places charge me extra for a side of rat poo!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    There is no healthy fast food.

Well, this is wrong. But, then, the anti-fast food crowd can't seem to grasp that the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess. Moderation works, folks. Both for weight loss, better physical health and mental satisfaction and well-being.

And for all those that have proclaimed subway the devil because of sodium? Unless you have a medical condition that precludes you from enjoying a bit of salt, it doesn't actually matter. Neither does sugar, for that matter.
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I used to work at a subway...for instance, we found rat poo in the tuna, they followed all procedures to complain about it, except throw it away, yep the poo was picked out and they served it...

That's awesome, because most places charge me extra for a side of rat poo!

BEST THING I'VE EVER READ.

I ASKED IN GENERAL - NOT TO START FIGHTS. It's opinions.. NO ONE is right or wrong.!

But please, the 'dirty' ' gross' 'flies' and such - thats in your subway - I have never been to one that had any of those problems. I have worked at tim hortons, and the amount of flies on products were gross, yet I worked at a second tim hortons, and there were no flies!

Some places are just kept better - remember that
  • ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like subway. I like to order their salads ham or turkey or roastbeef. and fill up on the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, spinach, whatever veggies they have. Stay away from the cheese and heavy cream dressing. That makes a good meal choice.
  • earthtoemilyy
    Options
    better than going to mcdonalds! when i go i get a 6" on whole wheat bread with ham, lettuce, tomato, olives, pickles and a small amount of light mayo (no cheese). not the abosolute healthiest thing but way better than a big mac or something! :)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Subway is always a good option in a pinch! A veggie sub (loaded with all the veggies!) on their wheat roll is so good!
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i love subway but I only get the foot long turkey on wheat w/lettuce/ tomato/onions/ black pepper abt 560 calories...thats it...let it sit for abt 4hrs...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat there about once a week they have 9 grain bread which is the same play on words as multigrain. Its not the same as whole grain that part bothers me since I kind of felt tricked but I still like their food and will continue to eat there.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    lunch meat = high sodium
    honestly better off making your own hoagie with low salt lunch meats
    and any place that has a good salad works for me
    Even the bread is crazy high in sodium. You can go to the nutrition calculator on their website and as you build your sandwich, even the bread is often 400+ mg. Jesus, the 6" roasted garlic bread (I don't know where they carry that but it isn't here) is listed at 1260 alone.
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Subway is not healthy. That's a massive amount of bread you would be consuming.
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat subway once a week , Love it and still losing weight.. As long as its in your calories, i say go for it
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think they're a pretty decent model of what a restaurant should be. They're open about calorie content, and encourage healthy choices. I like that I pretty much know what I'm getting. With its highly processed meat and bread, enormous portions, and high salt content, it's definitely a sometimes food, but I don't think it's as evil as some of you do :). My husband makes fun of what I get though - every veg they have, including the peppers, with tuna, provolone, and mustard. I usually have them hollow out the bread to accommodate all the veggies :P.
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love Subway! It's my go to place when I am not home.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you are sodium sensitive, it might not be the best choice, but that goes for just about any restaurant unless you get a salad.

I like subway and the fact that they post their nutrition info up front. And I love their veggie options, especially since most of them offer spinach now.

It's definitely a go to for me when I'm out and don't have time to make a lunch.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Subway is to fast food what the one eyed man is to the kingdom of the blind.