Any Cyclists out there?????

Options

Replies

• Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP's!!! I am sooooo Excited! I just got a road bike! Wow it was like buying a car...took some time, but I finally said "I'll take it and they got it all set up for me.

I am signed up for a 36 mile ride on the 15th. And I am pushing my husband to take me out on the bike trails. I am a new biker..so far so good with clipping in and out. I still need practice with shifting and overall confidence on the bike. I'm excited to push myself to new limits and so far it's fun to really get somewhere fast vs walking or running.

I have another 15 pounds to lose...and love my exercise. I am a regular at the gym and hike, walk run, and now bike. Any tips are welcome and or success stories of weight loss from cycling. I can't wait to hit the bike trails after work today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my Trek mountain bike. I take her out 4x a week. She and I are one on the road. Corny, I know. I just love biking outside A LOT. :smile:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to find a group ride to participate in. You can typically go to your local bike shop and find out where one meets. There will be many experienced riders in there that can lend a helping hand. Over time it is very important to get your position correct on the bike to optimize speed and comfort. Just start putting miles on and you will get stronger and stronger. I bike and run, but cycling is much easier on your joints.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

now I'm a fat bloke that rides bikes a bit, but I'm working on getting back to being a cyclist again...

What's the difference? Serious question. I don't know the difference between biking and cycling and at what point somebody becomes a cyclist rather than (in my case) a fat woman who occasionally does a few miles on a bike. I don't know if I'd ever be a cyclist regardless of weight and ability because I'm a wuss about cycling on actual roads (rather than cycle tracks), but I just wondered.

What's the difference -

Fat bloke who rides a bike a bit... 25miles - 1h51m and 2,500 miles a year
    Cyclist - 25 miles 58m49s and nearer 10,000 miles a year.

I'm trying very, very hard to get back to being a Cyclist, but I reckon it's not likely to happen in this lifetime :brokenheart:

I still ride 5-6 times a week - at least 30 miles a day, whatever the weather throws at me, and I'm getting faster and stronger, but I'm a long way from it yet!

I see. What you are doing now sounds VERY impressive to me indeed! But I know how it feels to be struggling to do things you used to do very well :(. Good luck with it. Maybe you're doing as well as you did previously if you take into account age, weight, fitness level, etc.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a new cyclist too! I just got a mountain bike/road bike last month and I'm loving it! Some of the rail trails around here are amazing and they're good cause I can get used to riding again without the huge hills around my neighborhood. I went off roading for the first time last night with my new bike and she handled perfectly! Good luck with your ride, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my new bike too. Rode 30 yesterday and 14 Thursday in the high 90 degree heat. You are going to love it.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my bicycle- bummed cause it's been TOO HOT to ride. you're new & going on a 36 mile ride? I used to be able to do that, then got away from riding & got out of shape- now working back up to it but 15 miles is about my limit so far

have fun! keep pedaling!
  • JamesThiel
    JamesThiel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    22 miles a day ..... would not miss it.....it's my time
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love love love cycling! It's my favorite part of the triathlons that I do. I would always rather be on the bike than the swim or run! Clipping in and out takes practice for sure, as I am sure you can tell by what some of the others have said. And, yes, even with experience some of us (me) still fall over while clipped in. I've even fallen over at a dead stop. Happens. Not fun, sort of embarrassing. But it's part of cycling. :-)

It sounds like your hooked and good for you because cycling is one of the best forms of exercise there is. Ride safe and enjoy it!!!! Yay cycling!!!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I recently rediscovered my love for riding. It is great to get out there and ride. I ENDOMONDO to track my rides it's a great free tool:

Here is my bike!
    6970935_6064.jpg

Always looking for fellow riders to share some motivation!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am! My husband & I bought bikes together. We got mountain bikes, but our next major purchase will be road bikes! I agree, it was like buying a car for us too! :laugh:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Used to be a cyclist...

now I'm a fat bloke that rides bikes a bit, but I'm working on getting back to being a cyclist again...

THIS
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a mountain biker and starting to do some cross racing. The best thing about riding to me is that it I don't do it for the exercise - I do it because it is fun. The awesome added bonus is that it can torch some calories too. As my 14 yr. old would say NIIIIICCCEEEE.

I mountain bike on a single speed and cross race geared, but am thinking of just going single speed there too. It's a blast!
  • runner1609
    runner1609 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a mountain biker and LOVE it! I try to hit the trails at least 4 times a week. It's a great cardio work-out and great strength building for the legs. According to MFP I burn around 500+ calories per hour. Not bad for having a blast!
    Pedal on!
  • kbuehner
    kbuehner Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am new to cycling as well. I have my husband's hand-me-down Trek. I plan on getting a new bike once I get more experienced and into it. Cycling is the only thing that does not hurt my knees so that is what I need to do!

If only I can get my butt not to hurt from my seat!
  • maden2629
    maden2629 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it too. quick question what is the difference between road bike and a mountain bike.
  • amyram
    amyram Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also 51 and haven't ridden since I was about 12. I just bought a Cannondale cyclocross bike and other than a really sore backside, I'm enjoying this new form of exercise. :smile:
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just brought my bike home from my BF house....he gave his to a neighborhood kid!!,! I want to cycle to work. Its only about 9 miles ...
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Hi I consider myself as a weekend warrior. I mountain bike once a week and I'll ride along the bike path every other weekend with either my fixie or cruiser. Add me. I would love to have other cyclist friends.
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    my wife asnd i have road bikes and have ridden 3 or 4 times.....ive fallen twice ...OUCH!!!..my longest ride has been 27 miles....the literal pain in the butt is something that i'll have to get used to, even with padded shorts!!!! good luck to ya!!
  • janeseal
    janeseal Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi, I'm a cyclist. Did a 15 mile ride on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. I love getting out on my bike.