How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Check my diary out, I eat 1200 a day. Every once in a while I will go over by one or two calories, and if I do, I exercise to gain that back. I don't eat my exercise calories back that often.

It's easy once you get in the swing of it, you just have to change what and how you eat. I eat a lot healthier than I used to, drink a lot more water than I used to, work out and exercise more than I used to and I feel better than I've ever felt in my life.

You need to look up low calorie recipes, and healthy snacks and replace the high calorie foods with those :smile: Feel free to add me if you'd like, I'm starting up a blog soon with low calorie yet filling recipes, that are easy to make!
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/491231-a-1200-calorie-diet-for-a-woman/

You choose foods with high nutrition value but lower calories.

"Staples for a 1,200-calorie plan might include skinless chicken breast, shrimp, egg whites, canned beans, dark leafy greens, cut-up raw vegetables, melon, berries, apples, brown rice, oatmeal and whole-grain bread."

OP, I suppose you will be doctor supervised if on 1200?

This. I eat a lot of food and am never hungry.
  • gabmoody
    gabmoody Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have porridge with low fat milk, fruit, slivered almonds and a teaspoon of brown sugar for breakfast. Soup and bread for lunch. Homemade usually veggie and lentil. A snack of yoghurt and more fruit about 4 pm. Then just whatever I am cooking for the family for dinner. I rarely eat take away, and never eat pre packaged super market meals. This way I know what I am eating and I am not having the hidden fats and sugars. I live Australia and we do not have the pre packaged mentality that seems to be in US supermarkets, although we are catching up fast! I do not find that I am hungry, especially after my hearty breakfast. Just try and cook from scratch, then you are eating real food. Your body with thank you. Good luck!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I have no idea. They have me set at 1700 a day because of my active job and I find this really easy to stick to. I'm usually under it by a bit but that's okay. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I drink water, I eat lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, lots fruit, spinach, lean chicken breast......but somewhere, oh somewhere I throw in a potato or some ranch or something that adds up..... :( I also tend to get up at night and snack because I can't sleep...THAT is what usually throws me wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over..... :(

Thank you all for responding....I just feel whiney today and am not seeing any progress and it gets frustrating....

Thank you though for your thoughts....I will take them to heart and keep them in mind and get to moving more.

Maybe you need to sort out this sleep issue as like you said the snacking at night is probably the reason why not losing. Perhaps a doctor can prescribe something or some natural products may help to get a good night's sleep.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called Volumetrics. It focuses on eating large amounts of lower calorie foods until you are full (salad, soup, etc...) It is a great concept: choose low calorie foods, and eat essentially as much of them as you want! There are some great recipes in it to get started, too! I highly recommend checking it out, it has been quite helpful for me!

Don't worry too much about the 1200 mark either. Everybody is different...different bodies need different calories! You can always start slowly too...start at 1800, once that is comfortable, try 1500, and work your way down. Keep up the good work!!!

Edit: Ooops, looks like I posted this a bit late! Encouragement!! Support!! You're definitely not alone.!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called Volumetrics. It focuses on eating large amounts of lower calorie foods until you are full (salad, soup, etc...) It is a great concept: choose low calorie foods, and eat essentially as much of them as you want! There are some great recipes in it to get started, too! I highly recommend checking it out, it has been quite helpful for me!

Don't worry too much about the 1200 mark either. Everybody is different...different bodies need different calories! You can always start slowly too...start at 1800, once that is comfortable, try 1500, and work your way down. Keep up the good work!!!

Edit: Ooops, looks like I posted this a bit late! Encouragement!! Support!! You're definitely not alone.!

Looks good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmYoY5rQ89U&feature=share
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just do it, I don't know.. I never thought much about it. I don't get hungry either because I eat 4-5 times a day just small portions. Some days I go a little over but not much....
  • lala40217
    lala40217 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    o lawd. girl, please check out my post. i asked the same question and i got 7 pages of commentary, advice and really good help. i'm just 3 weeks into this but these people are hardcore awesome and know what they're talking about!
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    You don't have to, you know! If you're walking around hungry all the time, it'll never work. It doesn't matter how much you push it around; 1200 calories is 1200 calories.

I think I made it about 2 days on 1200 calories. I was cranky, mean, aggravated and miserable. I upped my calories back to 1800, and I'm back to my mild mannered self.

I was able to eat a low calorie diet when I was young. Now, at 35, my body needs more because my life demands more. I have two kids, a job, a husband, a house to maintain, a social life and I exercise HARD for an hour a day. Even without the exercise, I still would need more. I think your calorie intake should match your lifestyle.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions.

Why are you eating only 1200 calories?
    Did you enter your age, height and weight into the program?
    Because it will tell you how many calories you should be eating.

I notice you wrote that you are eating RANCH dressing. For the love of God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out the calories on there. And REALLY measure the amount you are using. You are probably using a ton more than you think.

A word of advice: Enter your age, weight, and height into the system and let the suystem determine how much you should be eating.
    WEIGH and MEASURE everything you eat. Make better choices than RANCH dressing.
    Look at my profile. I eat around 1500-1600 a day. And I eat PLENTY of snacks. And I have been decently successful.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't lose heart :flowerforyou: . You aren't the only one! I have a huge appetite and I cannot stay under 1200 either. I get headaches and acidity if I eat under 1200. Its wayyyyy too low for me. Since I need to eat more, I work out so I can have more food and still net under 1200 cals. Up your calories to 1400 or 1500 and begin working out slowly, little by little every day. Soon you'll be able to work out more and keep your net calorie intake near 1200.

this !!!!

I could not stay @ 1200 calories a day no matter how hard I tried when my calorie level was set that low. I also found myself at a stand still in my weight loss. I upped my calories by lowering my weight loss goal and started to work out longer so I got more calories to eat back and yeah!!!! I started to lose weight again but more important I get to eat more too. Win Win. !!!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was like you ....how do people say they can't eat 1200 a day. Then I had a friend who is a personal trainer look at what I was eating. She said I wasn't eating enough protein. When I started eating between 59-70 grams of protein (which is my daily recommended amount) filling up on veggis and drinking all of my water I now sometimes have a hard time eating 1200 calories a day.

Also, if you have never read it pick up the book by Dr. Oz called YOU ON A DIET. It's a very easy read and helps you to understand what can help you stay full and how to eat. It really has helped me eat better. I follow that book to the T.
  • xxshannonxgerardxx
    Options
    whenever i get hungry, i exercise until i'm not.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The idea of only eating 1200 calories makes me want to jump off a bridge. I have mine set to lose 1/2 a pound per week so that gives me a base of 1390 and then I eat back all my exercise calories (usually between 500-600 calories)
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    stay away from ALCOHOL!!!!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly 1750 calories /day. Mainly Protein then fat then carbs.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Reduce your carbs and eat more lean protein. Drink lots of water/green tea. Welcome to look at my diet plan. I stay within the range and never get hungry. I could probably take the 2 meals i eat and break them down into 4. Sometimes I exceed my 1200, but not much.

I burn 900 calories every single day during my workout. And I workout 7 days per week, so I get good amount of calorie deficit.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    stay away from ALCOHOL!!!!

Why? What's wrong with alcohol?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!