How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a long time and I can not stay under calories, no matter how hard I try. How do you people do it??? I looked at some of your diaries and that ones I looked at.....one ate one meal a day and some vitamins, one ate protein shakes twice a day and a salad for the other, the others complain about not being able to get to 1200 a day, one eats pizza and goes over and still says he/she loses two lbs a week.

Don't you people get hungry??? How do you do it?????? I know, yes, my exercise is not where it should be and I"m working on it (majorly obese here so I'm working at it) but the diaries I was referring to didn't have any exercise calories listed in at the bottom....

Don't you get hungry?????? I'm beginning to think all these numbers maybe too complicated for this brain to figure out, too (like another post said).

:(

You say that you are MAJORLY OBESE. Why in the world would you only be eating 1200 calories a day? Did you set up the GUIDELINES correctly?
    Did you even bother to set up the guidelines?
    We know the answer tot that. I can't speak for others, but one reason I was "MAJORLY OBESE" was that I knew everything.
    When a person knows everything, why bother changing?
    I had to get stupid to unlearn a few things, then saw results eating more and enjoying life.
    The starvation, crash diet route is a fast lane to nowhere.
    Instead of people trying to help the thread starter how to stay UNDER 1200 calories, maybe Someone should explain how to use the site and eating right.

Why is "your way" right? Some of us are on doctor recommended diets at 1200. That isn't right? I'm sorry, I didn't see the MD after your name.
  • Jffok
    Jffok Posts: 15
    Options
    I stay close to the 1200 cal a day limit. But I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. It was hard to get to only eating this amount of food. What I eat is healthy nutrious food . When I get to exercise I usually add a little food back for that but never the entire amount of calories I burned. It took me about two weeks to get use to trying to stay at 1200 but now it is much easier to do.
    There is lots of good information on this site and lots of people willing to answer questions and give supprot.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a long time and I can not stay under calories, no matter how hard I try. How do you people do it??? I looked at some of your diaries and that ones I looked at.....one ate one meal a day and some vitamins, one ate protein shakes twice a day and a salad for the other, the others complain about not being able to get to 1200 a day, one eats pizza and goes over and still says he/she loses two lbs a week.

Don't you people get hungry??? How do you do it?????? I know, yes, my exercise is not where it should be and I"m working on it (majorly obese here so I'm working at it) but the diaries I was referring to didn't have any exercise calories listed in at the bottom....

Don't you get hungry?????? I'm beginning to think all these numbers maybe too complicated for this brain to figure out, too (like another post said).

:(

You say that you are MAJORLY OBESE. Why in the world would you only be eating 1200 calories a day? Did you set up the GUIDELINES correctly?
    Did you even bother to set up the guidelines?
    We know the answer tot that. I can't speak for others, but one reason I was "MAJORLY OBESE" was that I knew everything.
    When a person knows everything, why bother changing?
    I had to get stupid to unlearn a few things, then saw results eating more and enjoying life.
    The starvation, crash diet route is a fast lane to nowhere.
    Instead of people trying to help the thread starter how to stay UNDER 1200 calories, maybe Someone should explain how to use the site and eating right.

Why is "your way" right? Some of us are on doctor recommended diets at 1200. That isn't right? I'm sorry, I didn't see the MD after your name.

Not once did I say I was right. Nor did I ever say I was a doctor. The thread starter is saying she is MAJORLY OBESE. I am merely suggesting that she is quite possibly doing something wrong.
    I know I am a male and she a female, but when I was 80 pounds over weight(majorly obese), The guidlines allowed me 2100 calories per day, without any exercise. And that was for a 2 pound weight loss per week.
    Now, I do not know her age, height or weight, but I can bet with certainty that SOMEONE, not a doctor, told her that she should be eating ONLY 1200 calories a day. Which is probably hurting her.
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Be patient and start moving. All I do is walk my dogs and it is working for me:smile:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    and if you're still having trouble try out some negative calorie foods. For example, apples, bananas, cantaloupe, and many other fruits take more calories to digest than they actually contain. Good luck! :)

This may be the most absurd thing I have ever read on this website.
  • im_2gd2btru
    Options
    I eat more now then I did before the only difference is now I am eating foods that satisfy me, you have to find what works for you. I have read some diaries as well and I think "how the hell are they not starving" its all based on the person though. I eat usually 6 times a day and I don't eat because i'm hungry I eat because its time to eat lol which sounds weird but in 2 weeks of eating that way I have had no cravings what so ever, and i'm losing. I haven't updated on here yet but I lost 10 lbs in those 2 weeks by eating more and working out, its all in what you eat! Best of luck to you!
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I might be able to provide more advice if your diary was open, but if i needed to presume, i'd say that you're probably eating a lot of empty calories. I tend to eat a lot of filling foods that don't even contain many calories.

Example: I could eat 15 strawberries for lunch and that wouldn't even be 50 calories. Tons of veggies & fruits tend to also provide the same result. Or maybe you could try to eat more organic versions of the stuff you eat. Or whole wheat. Trader Joe's is a great organic store that provides pretty much the same exact meals with the same (or better) taste and with fewer calories and more health benefit!
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    and if you're still having trouble try out some negative calorie foods. For example, apples, bananas, cantaloupe, and many other fruits take more calories to digest than they actually contain. Good luck! :)

This may be the most absurd thing I have ever read on this website.

She isn't completely wrong. The phrasing is a bit off, but that IS a good mindset. Apples, Bananas, and Cantaloupe's don't actually offer what she's suggesting, but celery, for example, does. It isn't so much for the calories you're losing while ingesting them, but for the calories you aren't taking in. You could eat as much as you want, enough for a snack that'll keep you satisfied for at least three hours, and not have to worry about calories!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You have made 22 pounds of progress and that's great! The exercise is what has made such a difference in how I feel. I have so much more energy and my mood is so much better! You can start slow. Just walk as far as you can and you will see that distance and pace improve. Work on a video and even if you can only do a few minutes, that is a start. get a one pound dumb bell and lift up your arms 10 times....Pretty soon you will be able to do 3 sets of 10 and maybe get a heavier weight....actually you can use a soup can.....

When you get hungry try to nibble on some protein and drink water with it....that will fill you up. Also, the more busy I am, the less I think of food:-) You can do this!!!
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's really easy for me. I've been doing it for almost a year. I pretty much just eat relatively small breakfasts and lunches (somewhere between 200-300 calories), have a snack, and then eat the rest of my calories during dinner.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this works for everybody, but here's what works for me. I'm also morbidly obese, and on a strict, medically supervised eating plan, so maybe we'll find some similarities here. I don't eat back my exercise calories, and I typically take in (NOT net) around 1300 calories a day, sometimes more if I'm particularly hungry that day, but very rarely over 1600.

I eat protein first, or at least mixed in with my veggies, in the case of salad. I'm a vegetarian, too, so it's a little harder for me to get low-carb proteins, but I can do it if I set my mind to it. Some great sources I've found are hard boiled eggs, tofu, some cheeses (but be very careful here or you could wind up consuming a lot more fat than you meant to take in!), nonfat cottage cheese, and greek yogurt.

Pay attention to serving sizes. I can't stress this enough. Invest in good measuring cups and spoons, and even a food scale, if you are seriously committed. Buy smaller plates and cups...I borrowed some from my 6-month old granddaughter, and eventually bought a set of my own. My friends and family look at me a little funny, but it works for me anyway!

Try to cut down on the potatoes and ranch dressing. You don't have to eliminate them completely, but only have it once or twice a week, at most. Eventually, you'll find you've been so busy eating other good things that you haven't thought about eating those for weeks on end! Or try substituting mashed cauliflower for potatoes and make your own "ranch dressing" with a little greek yogurt and some ranch seasoning.

Most importantly, don't think you have to go all out to the 1200 calorie point right out of the gate. You may actually find that 1400, 1800, or even 2000 calories works better for you. If a certain level doesn't work, drop 100-200 calories a day once a week. I started out closer to 1800, but now I can easily stay in that 1300-1600 range without feeling deprived. This isn't about getting there fast...it's about making what you're doing stick. Feel free to friend me and/or look at my diary...I'm happy to share any tips I might have! :flowerforyou:
  • linnealavell
    Options
    A lot of it depends on the types of food you eat. I have been trying to eat high fiber foods, lots of fruits vegetables, beans and nuts that keep you full and drinking plenty of water. Feel free to add me as a friend and you can see my food diary.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    So many people have reached out to me privately, as well as the posts here, and I want to thank you all. I just feel tears in my eyes thinking about how many of you read this and are willing to help.

I will take the things you said to heart. I will keep trying. I will look at your diaries and the sites you referred me to for help. Thank you all.

I have had a TON of friend requests and I'm not sure what to do with them at this moment. I'm not a great encourager when it comes to being friends here and I'm not sure if I can keep up with a hundred friends. :( So, if I don't accept your friend request it is not a rejection...it may just be because I don't know what to do with the outpouring of response that I received from this post.

I will keep trying. Thank you all again......I'm still reading the things you have posted here and in private.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    The easiest way to do this is simply to eat every other day. either that or starve everyday.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    edit
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't.

1200 isn't som magic number that makes weight loss easy. Some people need to eat more, and some are fine with less. I tend to average between 1300-1700 net. Keep in mind I sometimes go on 8 mile runs, so some days I eat well over 2000.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i tend to be around 1200 to 1300 a day. and i usually have a sandwich, a salad, a frozen meal, some fruit, and some sugary snack. i often eat lasagna, pizza, tacos, and cookies. the secret is replacing ingredients with healthier choices. my mom makes a sandwich that's 500 calories. mine are 150. if she makes tacos you're looking at 400 cals each. mine are 200 each.

just make healthier choices that are lower calorie and you'll get there. c:
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to stick at 1200 - it would be too few calories for me and I know I would give up. So I exercise and eat back my exercise cals, which typically will give me at least an extra 400-500 cals a day. Also, as you famliarise yourself with cals, you do make better choices. One person likened it to money - what foods will you choose to 'spend' your cals on, a tiny piece of chocolate which will make you hungry again in ten minutes, or an omelette or some soup whch will keep you full for a couple of hours? I know there are loads of arguments surrounding this topic but that's what I do :) And I'm not a gym bunny - my main exercise is walking my dogs. But I walk a lot :smile:

Many people who know more than me say that the MFP starting point of 1200 is too low anyway - there are other threads which explain how to find your goal intake using your BMR. Make sure your activity level is set correctly on here, and get a heart rate monitor to gauge your 'cals used' more accurately. Measure/ weigh your food as well and you may find you can have more - people often find they have been having 70g of something and list it as 100g as they guessed the amount/ weight.

THIS!
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I started, I couldn't just eat 1200 cals, so I bumped it up to 1400 and then after I got used to that, went down to 1200 and it wasn't as hard. After I plateaued, I went back up to 1400 and eat back most exercise cals, and broke my plateau. Yay!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't trust my eyes or stomach. I weigh or measure or count out everything.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!