Jerk at the Gym

Options
13»

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I will ask people in the area if they are using a weight, a stool, a machine if they are in the vicinity of it. If no one says they are using it, it's fair game. I have actually taken equipment when there was a water bottle lying around, cause honestly I have left water bottles cause I just forgot. If someone has a problem with it tough, they shouldn't have left the equipment. If they wanna use it in the area I am using it I will let them work in otherwise tough cookies. On rare occassions, I have had someone come up and watch me using it, I simply say it's all yours when I am done if you don't want to work in. If they get all huffy and puffy, oh well, I pay my monthly fees to use it too. It does get annoying though fighting over equipment, which is why I am in the process of putting together home a couple different home workouts.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't work out at the gym. Too many testosterone-fueled bullies. I had a similar thing happen. I had been waiting to do some bench presses. It's an exercise for big, strong men not small, weak women. But f* that--I was going to do 'em. Apparently this big, sweaty, greasy, bald, nasty-*kitten* mf had been using them. It takes a few minutes to unload someone else's weights and load your own on the bench press so he'd been gone long enough for me to think he was done. He came over and started barking at me. I just said, I didn't know you weren't done. Then I finished my set with him glaring at me over the bar. I should have just reported him as others have suggested--do that. He's a big, mean bully.
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    complete jerk... sorry to hear that. that's why i wear a hat and my ipod and blast the music.. just in case someone talks to me or about me i cant hear. he could have waited 10 more seconds. he was just being a jacka@@. you stated correct.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I had that happen once.. I had the only set of 15 pound dumbbells in the gym. This guy wants them and comes up to ask me how much longer, so I tell him.. and he goes ok, and then takes a lap around the gym, comes back, I tell him I'm still not done and he proceeds to stand in the doorway of the studio and stare at me until I finished.. I was like seriously..I will give you the dumbbells.. I promise!

Tell that jerk to F-off and go along your merry way... people have no tact sometimes.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Everyone, thank you for all your comments. It truly made me feel better to get other opinions. I knew I wasn't wrong but I was so F'ing PISSED! Y'all are great!!
  • ShawnaP22
    ShawnaP22 Posts: 31
    Options
    What an *kitten*!!! I hate people like that. Unfortunately, there will always be a few of those people around. Sounds like you handled yourself nicely & acted nothing remotely like a *****. Good job!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If there are several stools scattered throughout the gym then he could have just as easily gone and tried to intimidate someone else out of their stool according to him they weren't using. If no one is using it and no one is around to ask it is fair game. If you are there every day and you have never seen him before, next time you do see him report a previous encounter and don't acknowledge him. If anything you have more right to use it than he does.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hate people like that. If you walk away from a piece of equipment for more than 3 minutes you're clearly not "using" it. If you really want to save it, put a towel on it or something to let people know you aren't finished with it.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    A. he obviously didn't learn to share in the sandbox

B. you pay the same membership, you are entitled to the stool just as much as anyone there

C. stare back. and work out slower. and smile like it doesn't bother you!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people act that way. Maybe his mother held him too much as an infant. With some folks, you just don't know. :)
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    :explode: Oh yes ... all the clubs have a resident idiot who thinks they are entitled to the equipment, whether they were using it or not.

I would politely have said "I'm sorry, I didn't see your cloak of invisibility shielding this stool" or "I'm sorry, I didn't see all those invisible reps you WEREN'T doing" and then I would have ninja'd away with the stool under my arm.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hm. He sounds like an *kitten*. Any guy that calls a female a ***** is a boy, not a man.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    "gym protocol" sez leave a personal item on a bench/stool that you're using so others know it's in use~
    Unless that 'personal item' is a limb or *kitten* cheek, I usually just move it. I'm not sure people's towel or water bottles really need to be using gym equipment.
    Hahaaa. Good way to put it.
  • rockermom5
    rockermom5 Posts: 58
    Options
    I think most gyms have this type of person. At ours, it seems that if you are female, you will be stared at when using the equipment in the free weight area. I rarely go over there if I go at night, since that seems to be when all the jerks come out. Good for you for holding your ground. Our jerks are equal opportunity jerks...they tend to start with anyone.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ms. GI, I don't blame you for stomping on that jerk...