How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• treblemaker90
    treblemaker90 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that's run by my city's parks&rec. The prices are really good but you pay for the whole year at once. For my age group it was $65 (18-25) and for the next age bracket (basically 25 to senior citizen) its $120.
  • beeka2ked
    beeka2ked Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Family (my husband and I) $70. If we took our son it would be about $20 more per month. We are limited to gyms here in MS.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    ymca - assited memeberships you can get for much cheaper depending on financial needs
    i pay about 27$ a month
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    135 every three months.

So about 35 dollars monthly.

I joined under my corrpations name so got a discount. I would be paying 145 every three months.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Wow! The variety of numbers is amazing! Month to month $19 for the family or $149 a year, 2 free trainer sessions when you sign up, $12.50 for sessions thereafter. I am trying it month by month to see if it bumps me off the plateau, plus I need to do weights!!
  • kwbernardo
    kwbernardo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We pay around $60 for a membership at Snap Fitness for our family. Check to see if your health insurance will cover some of the fees. Our insurance plan has an agreement with Snap that covered the enrollment fee and gives us a slight monthly discount. (Now if I could only get my husband to go to the gym...)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No contract, $20 a month, only 10 to join that was to pay for my card.
  • jruhlen1980
    jruhlen1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been a member of several gyms and always seemed to pay $30-50 per month for a single membership. I prefer locally owned gyms to the trendy chains because they don't try to lock you into an exorbitant contract for multiple years. Also, the members seem like they actually want to work out instead of prance around and show off for each other.

That being said, I finally spent $400 on a decent weight rack/bench setup I found on craigslist. A year's worth of gym fees would more than pay for that. The only reason I didn't buy one sooner was because I was moving a lot and I didn't want to have to move a bunch of weights. It's been great - I don't have to spend 30 minutes getting dressed, driving to the gym, showering up at the gym, etc. Also, I don't have to wait for a bench to become free, and I don't have to wait on that one jerk who decides he needs to tie up four weight stations with his own personal circuit workout.

Also, I will never pass up an opportunity to bash Anytime Fitness. When I was a member it was fine, but then I moved to a town that didn't have one, and by the terms of their contract they're supposed to let you out of the contract if that happens. Instead they tried to hassle me for months, tried to say I provided insufficient documentation, tried to hit me up with some extra termination fees, blah blah blah. I knew they didn't have any justifiable legal grounds so I held my own and eventually they went away, but seriously -- screw Anytime Fitness. Also, a quick google search will show all kinds of dirty tactics that this outfit tries to use to squeeze money out of people. I think there was a location in Utah that burned down and they tried to keep charging their members.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    About $35/month.. which includes use of the gym, Bootcamp, Zumba, TRX and Piloxing classes (as much as you can take!)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    $50 a month. I was at Anytime and that was about the same but at least was 24x7. My new gym has limited hours but unfortunately I am locked in a contract with them.

I would definitely recommend if you join a gym to find one with a contract or get free passes until you are sure you want to commit. Otherwise you get stuck and have to suffer.

I like my gym, it is nice and clean and friendly. Just don't like the limited hours so I feel like it is not worth what I pay for it.
  • tsimone
    tsimone Posts: 4
    Options
    $29.00 the best gym in the area....try the YMCA they can run about $60 but then they are prorated according to income. They also have lots of discounts and freebies for children's activities if you are a member.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My local world gym is 24.99 a month with a 2 year contract. free child care. classes included, and its 24 hours a day 5 days a week.
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    I go to Lifetime Fitness and got the Bronze membership for now (which means I can only go to other "bronze" level Lifetimes)

It is $50 per month plus $6 a month per child (for me an additional $12 since I have 2 kids) so $62 per month

I go 6 sometimes 7 days a week and have unlimited use of the facilities 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. Classes are all included and range from all sorts of things (but there are some specialty pilates and yoga classes that are extra I just have stuck with the regular ones)

I signed on in May and they waived set up sees and gave me $100 "lifetime bucks" which equated to 2 "free" personal training sessions (or items at the cafe or haircut at the spa or something...which I used right away on the training

Now they are offering no set up fees and $500 lifetime bucks or 30 days of group training which is even better deal---
  • jillystjohn
    Options
    It's expensive but worth every penny to get my *kitten* kicked and keep me honest so I pay $150 for CrossFit and $42 for my local globo gym only because it has a pool and I need to swim indoors off season for triathlon training.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    $395.00 a year total for me, my husband and son at our local rec center.
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    with money...LOL I go to a very basic one $10 a mos. Its not fancy just the machines and thats it. I plan to cancel though cause its hard to get there with my kids and been working out to videos at home.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    WOAH!!! US is so cheap. I'm in Aus, I pay $35 a fortnight and that was a special deal, my previous gym was $90 a month.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I pay $38 a fortnight and that was the cheapest I could find at the time... It sucks my work gym closed down for so long. it's now open, but I have to get a medical certificate to get access back... Gonna do that next time I go back, but still locked in to my gym for 12 months... sigh...
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I belong to the Y. I pay $80 a month for a family membership... It is way expensive but they have child watch so I have no excuse not to get to the gym. They also have the best staff and personal trainers who care about peoples fitness goals and help implement them. Well worth that kind of money just for the TLC alone :-)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I seriously will go off if I get into this because it's a sore subject. It will suffice to say my husband's fancy Crossfit gym membership is $75 a month for an individual membership and no childcare whatsoever. I run to work for free (to save gas money) and I lift weights at work.
  • cruisinskier
    cruisinskier Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We are also members of the local YMCA. We pay approx $100 per month for a "plus" family membership including towel service, coffee, etc. We have been members since 1986 so we are on a first name basis with numerous staff and members and are treated very well.....worth every penny considering we go 4-5 times a week.