Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• nuclearbanana
    Options
    Hey, guys, instead of speculation and biased interpretation of surroundings, are there any scientific journals or studies you could link to that would support or refute either idea? :x
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The book Lore of Ruuning by Dr. Timothy Noakes is full of physiological descriptions and thoroughly linked to cited studies.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What do you all think of interval running? Those of you who think running is problematic and even harmful (especially for women), do you think it's the same with interval training? Just curious, as that's all I do on the treadmill.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    What do you all think of interval running? Those of you who think running is problematic and even harmful (especially for women), do you think it's the same with interval training? Just curious, as that's all I do on the treadmill.

Why would it be harmful to women?
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

That's what the article that scottb81 linked to is claiming. This thread is a continuation of that discussion.
  • victoria4321
    Options

That's what the article that scottb81 linked to is claiming. This thread is a continuation of that discussion.
    tl;dr. I skipped over that post. Nevermind
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Intervals are great, for lots of reasons. Walk/jog intervals can help you build endurance. Speed intervals help you build speed (and endurance). HIIT gets anaerobic and can mimic some of the effects of weight lifting. HIIT though, if done properly, requires the same type of rest time as lifting and can't be done too often, so if you intend to progress at running as a sport, HIIT can't be the basis for your training.
    My opinion is everyone should be doing intervals- new runners should walk/jog to develop endurance, and there comes a distance in marathon training when walk/jog intervals are really useful to avoid "hitting the wall". Intermediate runners should use intervals to work on speed and stamina. Advanced runners know what they need to do. :wink:
    Anyone can incorporate HIIT but 1 or 2 times a week max, with a base mileage running program.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    20+ pages...

SMH...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Intervals are great, for lots of reasons. Walk/jog intervals can help you build endurance. Speed intervals help you build speed (and endurance). HIIT gets anaerobic and can mimic some of the effects of weight lifting. HIIT though, if done properly, requires the same type of rest time as lifting and can't be done too often, so if you intend to progress at running as a sport, HIIT can't be the basis for your training.
    My opinion is everyone should be doing intervals- new runners should walk/jog to develop endurance, and there comes a distance in marathon training when walk/jog intervals are really useful to avoid "hitting the wall". Intermediate runners should use intervals to work on speed and stamina. Advanced runners know what they need to do. :wink:
    Anyone can incorporate HIIT but 1 or 2 times a week max, with a base mileage running program.

Excellent info from MoreBean!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    And I'm still waiting for how to gain height. I may have been too specific asking for a fitness program. I'm open to supplements to get tall too.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    And I'm still waiting for how to gain height. I may have been too specific asking for a fitness program. I'm open to supplements to get tall too.
    Got it!

leg-lengthening-operations.jpg

http://www.plasmetic.com/news/weird/restrictions-on-leglengthening-operations-in-china.html
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Got it!

leg-lengthening-operations.jpg

http://www.plasmetic.com/news/weird/restrictions-on-leglengthening-operations-in-china.html

Does beachbody sell that? Can I get a beachbody coach please?
  • victoria4321
    Options

The recovery drink shortens the healing time too

p90x_rrf_cont_tonytub_new.png
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

This is great to hear! Thank you :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    20+ pages...

SMH...

I'm feeling that! (assuming you haven't blocked me)

I think Scott said it all when he said the article should have been titled something more like:
    "Overtraining and poor nutrition can lead to metabolic problems."
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I have an important question- what fitness routine can I use to get taller?

Yoga. :)
  • MoreBean13
    Options

The recovery drink shortens the healing time too

p90x_rrf_cont_tonytub_new.png

Now we're talking. I hope it has some gooseberry ketones. I'm using them to work on changing my eye color.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    20+ pages...

SMH...

I'm feeling that! (assuming you haven't blocked me)

I think Scott said it all when he said the article should have been titled something more like:
    "Overtraining and poor nutrition can lead to metabolic problems."

I didn't block you lol! I don't block anyone, but I certainly wouldn't block someone just for disagreeing with me. Many times I LEARN from people disagreeing with me. Others point of view...contrary to what some people in this thread believe...is incredibly appreciated when presented in an intelligent, mature manner (and sometimes even when presented with snarkiness...its outright rudeness and condescending behavior I won't abide).

Believe me...you're more than fine :).
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I don't get why you're getting so upset over me stating the obvious. I still stand by what I say. I would prefer to take advice from someone with actual experience or who is already at the goal I'd like to attain. Certain things it doesn't matter, but with health/lifestyle advice I wouldn't take that kind of advice from someone who can't follow it or hasn't lived it long enough.

Its pretty well known that the large majority of people who lose weight gain it back. Even people counting calories and on healthy diets. If I wanted to take diet advice from someone it would be someone who either got to a healthy, lean, and fit weight and maintained it for years or someone who has always been healthy their whole life.

She is following it though and has done for a long time on here now and lost a bundle of weight. Personally, I have only been on here since January (this time. I am back because I got to my goal once before and then went back to eating rubbish), I was fortunate in that I only had 30lbs to lose this time round as opposed to 41lbs last time. My own weightloss was 1200 calories per day, running for exercise - it took six and a half months to get to my goal.

It worked for me, but may not work for some other people but that's okay I fully understand that.

Victoria you are correct when you say stick with people whose goals match your own and who are practising the same weight-loss/exercise methods as you are though, it is a lot easier to bounce ideas of each other then.