Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat marathon runner? (Man or woman that has been doing this for years) I call BS.

Exactly my thought!

::head desk:::
    repeat.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat marathon runner? (Man or woman that has been doing this for years) I call BS.

Exactly my thought!

repeat.

My desk has a dent in it. It will need a new repair soon.

I was breaking keyboards for awhile...but it got expensive...so I learned to move it first.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Exactly my thought!

repeat.

My desk has a dent in it. It will need a new repair soon.

I was breaking keyboards for awhile...but it got expensive...so I learned to move it first.

Well, now that the conversation has gotten too long for people to read the discussion before they jump in to the conversation, that's my cue to leave. Peace out!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I also call BS. MAYBE this is true for some people, but for most running like any cardio burns the extra calories we eat on a daily basis. Once upon a time I was well over 200 pounds. Thanks to running and spinning, I dropped fat and inches. I have gained weight back since I went back to school and stopped running. In 20 days when the Bar is finally over, I am sure a good running program will help me quickly drop the inches all those late night pizza binges with my study group packed on to my hips!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Does she have an opinion on "starvation mode"?

--P
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Well sweetykins, when you next watch the London marathon, have a look and see how many of them look like the female world record holder... erm... not that many???

ooh why is that you say? maybe because they're not 5 minute miling?

Paula trains 110 miles a week... well she used to in her peak.

So what's your point???????
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    cris the man said (if you actually read his post) that he does a 20 minute jog, interspersed with other activity. this, combined with the risible comments about stride length does, i'm afraid, amount to 'no, i'm not actually a runner'. i don't see how his paragraph about all the lifting he does, or his acknowledgement of an occasional '20 minute jog' allows an alternate interpretation.

further, could you point to a single post that suggests anyone who doesn't run is stupid? no, i didn't think so.

as to the rest of your post.... well clearly riding that scooter in your profile pic has addled your brains if you imagine i give a continental for what some post-pubescent boy on the interweb does or doesn't find amusing about what i write. what kind of gargantuan ego must lurk behind that kind of comment....? what on earth makes you imagine you have anything at all that qualifies you to pass judgement or to censure other posters for their style? having read a fair few of your posts previously, i can assure you there's nothing in your own writing that makes me imagine anyone turning to your literary tips. but thank you anyway. i'll be sure to give your stylistic advice all the attention it deserves the next time i give a publication seminar .
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    cris the man said (if you actually read his post) that he does a 20 minute jog, interspersed with other activity. this, combined with the risible comments about stride length does, i'm afraid, amount to 'no, i'm not actually a runner'. i don't see how his paragraph about all the lifting he does, or his acknowledgement of an occasional '20 minute jog' allows an alternate interpretation.

And I know a lot of runners who will say pretty much the majority of people on here who claim to be runners aren't runners either. If you're not going at a fast enough pace then you're really not a runner, you're just a jogger.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

And I know a lot of runners who will say pretty much the majority of people on here who claim to be runners aren't runners either. If you're not going at a fast enough pace then you're really not a runner, you're just a jogger.

ROFL.
  • victoria4321
    Options

ROFL.

You can disagree all you want but the majority of the C25K "runners" will never be competitive and can only ever do it for weight loss, not sport.

Which is what the problem is. Competitive running isn't the same as cardio jogging.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sooooo... what this article is saying is the more you run the fatter you will get??? Yeah I see fat marathon runners EVERYWHERE!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Cardio does NOT cause anything but good when we eat the proper amount to re-feed our bodies.
    Do as much as you enjoy, but eat back those calories.
    And as always, there are some cabbage-brained dolts who over-do cardio to the point of being obsessives.
    Not talking about them in their tin foil hats....:laugh:
    I do a 3 hour workout per day - 1.5 hours cardio - 30 minutes intense resistance.
    And eat?
    Just check out my diary :drinker:

NO ISSUES!
  • jonnyedu
    jonnyedu Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello

I read through quickly and may have missed something but I believe the only logical answer is that the woman running is not eating properly. I have worked as a personal trainer and am a HE/ PE Teacher. I use to do the caliper tests on all my clients and get a log of their eating habitsfor a week prior to training. EVERYTHING goes i the log. For an accurate response on this blog we would need her weight, height , body fat, age, resting HR, and exercise HR. The lack of these variables will cause random statements about your friend and inacurate quesses about why she is not toning up.

Jonathan
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Hello

I read through quickly and may have missed something but I believe the only logical answer is that the woman running is not eating properly. I have worked as a personal trainer and am a HE/ PE Teacher. I use to do the caliper tests on all my clients and get a log of their eating habitsfor a week prior to training. EVERYTHING goes i the log. For an accurate response on this blog we would need her weight, height , body fat, age, resting HR, and exercise HR. The lack of these variables will cause random statements about your friend and inacurate quesses about why she is not toning up.

Jonathan

I don't think we need all that when you can go to the gym and visually see the results. I can only go by what happens at my gym and others that I've been to. It looks like 85% of the people glued to cardio machines are all overweight or flabby. If all the running and elliptical-ing was working so well, they should look just as fit as anyone else who's getting a real work out in.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I run and do cardio - BUT I also do a lot of strength training. Balance is key. People that run all the time (and don't do strength) often look sickly/sallow to me - but I think that's because runnin causes your muscles to be more efficient and leaned out. Just my opinion.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Spend one week doing survival in the woods, and you will start to understand your body. And you will be amazed at the capabilities left over from when you were a cave person. What is inconvenient to us now and makes us feel fat or yucky, saved our lives in the past. Just saying. Anyhow, cardio doesn't burn fat once your fit. I do HIIT, with the aim of keeping my heart rate HIGH! for short periods (25minutes). Seem so work in my case. I hate running. Always have, always will.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Certainly an interesting topic. (I may already have posted that. :o) )

One issue with the clueless in the gym: they do 30 minutes on a treadmill then think "Well done, me! I'll reward myself with two doughnuts and a large cappuccino!" Plus continue to eat over their daily calorie requirements.

The other thing I've noticed is that at the other end of the scale, constant state exercises like running or cycling doesn't seem to be enough to get from trim to lean. HIIT seems to make the difference, though.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Great post!

In my opinion, cardio has its place however the problem with many especially us women is that we overdo it & not to mention our hormonal make-up which makes us prone to store fat. Even fitness professionals will tell you that cardio is as important as weight training however overdoing it will bear negative result.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump for later