How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment building and in the basement there is a Olympic sized indoor pool, sauna and the best part - a gym!
    I paid a one time fee of 25 dollars to be able to use it.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    WOAH!!! US is so cheap. I'm in Aus, I pay $35 a fortnight and that was a special deal, my previous gym was $90 a month.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I pay $38 a fortnight and that was the cheapest I could find at the time... It sucks my work gym closed down for so long. it's now open, but I have to get a medical certificate to get access back... Gonna do that next time I go back, but still locked in to my gym for 12 months... sigh...
    Same here! I go to Les Mills and it's $45 a fortnight! I love my gym though <3 so it's worth every cent!
  • Sissy1074
    Sissy1074 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am lucky and do not have to pay for the fitness center or pool at work. I work for a college and use of the equipment and pool is free. If I want to get personal training or do classes I would have to pay though...I do weights and strength training there and come home and either Dance (50 min between the Wii and X-box) or use my elliptical for Cardio!

Years ago I was a member at LA Fitness and loved it! $35 a month but I paid another $55 a month for a trainer twice a week! I have since moved and there isn't much around me. Glad I work where I do!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Our local Y's family membership is $59/month - I can't believe it's nearly twice that in other areas. It's brand new and gorgeous, too. I was mostly going for the classes, though, and it's no longer compatible with my schedule, so I quit and joined the local Planet Fitness. $20 for the Black Card membership with all the trimmings and my 15yo son gets in for free. I'm considering joining a yoga studio for an additional $40/month, too.
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My gym is connected with a local hospital and feels a bit like a country club... indoor tennis courts, basketball, warm pool and lap pool, cardio, weights, classes, pilates reformer, etc. Kids actually have their own fitness classes for 6-12 year olds... 2 kids, 1 teen, 2 adults, 1 neighbor kid, total of 155.00 per month. : ) But it is awesome! Towel service, deodorant, shampoo, hair dryers, etc. Great place!
  • kcrhodes85
    kcrhodes85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness
    $40/month
    Not worth it. At all

not worth it at all. i pay 34 a month for mine but i have to cause its the best gym in the area
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    tuition at Baylor. so a lot! lol
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I go to our city's rec center in Hillsboro Or. A 3 Month Pass Individual $82.00. *Family $137.00 Youth/Senior $50.00. I just got my 6 month pass for $126.00. This place is wonderful 3 pools, classes and gym and great hours 7 days a week. I would suggest you call or do a search for Parks and Recreation in your town or city. You might get lucky and find something affordable and really great.
    :drinker: ~~Gina
  • MrsPodaski
    MrsPodaski Posts: 34
    Options
    I pay $65./mo but it's in a marina on the water. I have lots of free classes to choose from including Aquarobics, Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, spin, plus indoor and heated outdoor pools, sauna, hot tub, and steam room. That includes a 10% discount on all services in the spa and on meals/drinks at the club. It's a luxury I can't live without and worth every cent and then some ;-) It also has a great gym and personal trainer sessions monthly and a nutritionist who will meet with me one on one periodically.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Inshape Gym: Cost me $30 but prices range if you have children, which I don't. It's worth it because I can go to all locations in town and most are 24 hours during the week. Also all classes are free and majority have pools for the summer time. Not going to get a personal trainer tthough...the prices for that are INSANE!!
  • RitaMarieCB
    Options
    NOTHING...ONE of the advantages of being a senior citizen with medicare..."Silver Sneakers" costs nothing and I can use most of the things like exercise equipment, weight machines, swimming and many of the classes.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I go to the gyms at my college - free! Technically it's included in my tuition but since I have a full ride I guess that still makes it free haha. For a non-student it's $36 a month. Totally worth it in my opinion though, we have some pretty awesome facilities.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I go to Steve Nash Fitness World in Vancouver, Canada. I pay 18 dollars per month. I have been a member for over 15 years. I am a satisfied client. Includes a lot of classes (not all, such as zumba and cycling, which is why I haven't done them). Good cardio equipment and weights. Parking is an issue. I also like it's a chain and I can use most locations in my area (except for the fancy schmancy gyms, which would involve a far higher membership fee). Sometimes, when I'm in Downtown and I really need to go to the washroom, I just go to one of the gym locations.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I can't believe everyone pays so little!

In the big city, I pay $100/mo for myself and two kids. I thought that was a steal. There is LA fitness, which is cheaper, but I didn't want any part of a long term contract and start up costs
  • kellyrose401
    kellyrose401 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I pay about 45.00 a month at the Y. This includes me my husband and my son. I do get a discount though. Its regularly about 80 for a family membership. It is so worth it if you have children. There are so many things for my 7 year son to do. He loves going and all the staff knows him by name and makes him feel special. They have affordable sports for children like karate. They also do things like parents night out once a month from 6-10:30 free for members. So my husband and i catch a movie and dinner. Its more than just a gym, they really help promote a healthy lifestyle.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I pay $63 a month for the YMCA. I signed up when there was free enrollment. I can go to any Y in the Twin Cities area. I like the Y because of the classes they offer (Body Pump, Body Flow, Group Cycle/Spin, and Pilates are the ones I usually go to).
  • Wintertexan97
    Wintertexan97 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My gym is Xperience Fitness...they took over a lot of the Gold's Gyms. I pay $10 a month....it would be $20 if you want all of the classes....very nice place with good equipment.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness. I have the Black Membership which is $20/mo, but I can bring a guest any time. So I bring my wife a lot. But my work pays $20/month if I go (8X a month). So it's usually FREE!!

Planet Fitness has a special rate for black people? And is it more or less than the normal membership?

Seriously, $30-50 is the normal (U.S.) rate for standard gyms. The high end clubs will triple or quadruple that. I had to talk my workout partner out of joining the Equinox they opened up down the street this spring. $150 a month, and they don't have a pool or basketball court. To go the the big Equinox in West LA is $225 per month because of the pool and BBall court. That's crazytime.

I've been a Bally's member for over 15 years now. It'll probably change now they they sold to LA Fitness, but for the past few years I've been paying $100 per year. I've joined other gyms but still kept that membership up just out of principle.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    We use Platinum Fitness (formally Golds Gym) here in Tucson Az. Fees range from $10-$50 per month. (We have a $20 membership). Child care is $11? or 12 for unlimited use all month.

Love my gym!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to the middle-high cost gym in our area, $139 (which includes taxes and such) a month for a family membership. 2 hours of free childcare (1 hr of paid if you choose), 4 pools (one with a waterslide), separate locker areas for families and adults, and state of the art equipment. We sacrifice other luxuries but it is totally worth it.

Edit: After reading some of the responses to this thread... it is more like a country club. Towel service, junior fitness classes, all the Les Mills classes as well as non-, Spa/Massage, hair salon... the list goes on.

There is only one other gym in my area that is pricier (that I know of) but it is $200+ a month from what I hear and out of my price range. But I love my current gym so even if I could afford it I probably wouldn't go.