Do you tip a pizza delivery man when..

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. o_O More if it's rainy outside.
  • dawson855
    dawson855 Posts: 3
    Options
    no cozz they always take forever lol
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    1. I do tip the delivery men/women of the world. Typically, if I am not being charged a stupid delivery fee, I tip more (delivery fees piss me off). Is it at the fault of the driver? No, but that is also why I typically don't order from places with a delivery charge anymore.

Addition: This one guy used to make a killing off me because he was the only one my dog (180 Pound Mastiff) didn't try to break the hinges off the door to get to. I'm not a big person, so when the dog like the delivery guy enough to stay relaxed, I am a MUCH happier dog owner. (Disclaimer - My dogs bark is loud and he is just big. He does not jump and is actually very well trained, just old and LOVES pizza more than life.)

2. Tip your to-go people (at restaurants, pizza places dont have to do anything special besides hand you a box, typically). That position is typically a server hourly wage, as most restaurants assume people will tip since the person is performing a service of making sure the order is right, all the condiments are in the right place and making sure the order has been prepared in a timely fashion....Much like a server.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    umm, how is it a minimum wage if there is an option not to pay it? surely it should be legally enforced?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.

Every restaurant does that (in the US)....It's the law...keep in mind this is over the course of the pay period......so if they make more than minimum one night and less another the average has to be minimum wage. Most servers will never see this because in general we tip high enough in the US to keep them above that line.....
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I delivered pizzas years ago on a military base and believe me it was a hard job. I would always tip all food service workers at least 20%. If you can't afford to tip, then you should really eat from places where tipping is not expected.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    i say yes. delivery drivers risk getting robbed, and a driver was recently killed on a delivery recently in my city. also, the driver is often responsible for using his or her own car to drive, and the delivery fee goes to the company.

thank you.
    my brother almost died this way.
    Delivered to a shady neighborhood and they slammed a huge rock into the side of his head and robbed him. He had to fall across the seat and press the gas pedal with his hand to get them off him. Was deaf in that ear for a while and in the hospital for a week.

It's not a "very easy simple job" as one poster put it....depending on where you live of course. That's why I moved from the ghetto in Massachusetts to the woods in Maine....

And to answer the original question, yes, I always tip everyone that is in any job that generally accepts tips.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    MV5BMTA1NzEwMjYxMDVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDA5MTQ4MDM@._V1_SX320.jpg

i tip everybody -Vinnie
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Every restaurant does that (in the US)....It's the law...keep in mind this is over the course of the pay period......so if they make more than minimum one night and less another the average has to be minimum wage. Most servers will never see this because in general we tip high enough in the US to keep them above that line.....

I've worked in a lot of American restaurants and I have never had an employer make up the difference.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i say yes. delivery drivers risk getting robbed, and a driver was recently killed on a delivery recently in my city. also, the driver is often responsible for using his or her own car to drive, and the delivery fee goes to the company.

thank you.
    my brother almost died this way.
    Delivered to a shady neighborhood and they slammed a huge rock into the side of his head and robbed him. He had to fall across the seat and press the gas pedal with his hand to get them off him. Was deaf in that ear for a while and in the hospital for a week.

It's not a "very easy simple job" as one poster put it....depending on where you live of course. That's why I moved from the ghetto in Massachusetts to the woods in Maine....

And to answer the original question, yes, I always tip everyone that is in any job that generally accepts tips.

There are sociopaths in ritzy-titzy neighborhoods, too. Being a delivery driver anywhere is dangerous.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    no cozz they always take forever lol

I wonder why it takes forever.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Just some FYI -

If a server DOES claim properly, and is below the minimum wage lines, they get screamed at and typically fired for some unknown or made-up reason, as companies do not like paying the minimum wage thing to servers. In addition, companies get serious audits if they have to pay out a certain amount too frequently.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    umm, how is it a minimum wage if there is an option not to pay it? surely it should be legally enforced?

here, federal minimum wage applies to all jobs except waitressing and such, where tips are supposed to make up the difference. Federal Waitress Wage is one-half the standard minimum wage. Tips are supposed to be tallied and reported so taxes can be taken out. If the tips do not bring the worker up to at least federal minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.

Of course, just because these are the LAWS, does not meant most places follow them. 9 out of ten times the employer won't tally the tips for taxes or make up the difference if it were to fall short. That being said, my friend makes over $20 an hour waitressing, so...whatever!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Mr. Pink:

No, they don't do it. Trust me, they don't.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    having worked in service industry - beyond a shadow of a doubt, but if I specify debit/ credit and they fail to bring the machine then they will get a much smaller tip.

Machine? What machine? Every place I've ever ordered from processes them electronically. You referring to one of those card imprint thingies I havent' seen used since the '90s?

Also, yes. I do tip delivery drivers because the delivery fee does not go to them. It is not a replacement for the tip.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I think it would make to do so.

I rarely get pizza delivered. In fact, I can't remember a time when I had a pizza delivered. I do carryout more often so as to not pay delivery charges or tips. From my point of view, I'm already paying enough for the pizza.

I once went to an out of town conference and didn't rent a car as my hotel was within walking distance of the convention center where I would spend most of my time. I ordered Chinese food to my hotel room during the stay and I tipped the delivery person. The restaurant did not charge me for delivery.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Restaurants do make up for a server if they don't make min. wage WEEKLY! It's not a daily thing. Over the course of a pay period, a server SHOULD average out to min. wage. They don't look at your daily tips. I use to sit with managers while they did their end of day procedures and deposits and that's how it was explained to me. If I made $25 all week and then made a killing on the weekends, they take your average weekly tips and spread them out over the course of a pay period to show that yes, you were making min. wage for the pay period. Now if you only claim $10 in tips per day in your pay period then yes, by the laws of the Dept. of Labor, they have to pay you the difference but they usually catch if you are under reporting all the time. Some places won't let you clock out properly if you don't at least claim 10% of your sales. (I worked for 2 Darden companies Red Lobster and Olive Garden and at the time you couldn't clock out if you weren't claiming at least 10% of your sales) So they have procedures in place to prevent this but if it does happen they do pay you out the difference. Again, it has to be over the course of a pay period and not daily.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

I guess you havnt done delivery. I have and it can be hard and scary and dangerous.

I delivered for a national chain for a while a few years ago at less than minimum wage and provided my own car, gas, and insurance. We had a $1 delivery charge - I got half of it and the store kept half. I guess the less-than-minimum wage plus the 50 cents per delivery *may* have covered my overhead - I know I did that job for the tips, not for the hourly wage. My personal evaluation of tippers was that $2 on a normal size order (1 - 3 items) within a reasonable driving distance of the store was acceptable. Our area was fairly suburban, so "reasonable driving distance" for me was within 3-4 miles. Any further than that or a large order should get a larger tip. I sure remember the guy who gave me a $14 tip on a $26 order who was less than a mile from the store. He got the BEST service. The guy who repeatedley tipped the change up to the next dollar (e.g. 10 cents on a $15.90 charge) was a jerk and got adequate service from me and worse from others.

Although the job was "simple" that does not mean it was easy. Spend some time driving through unfamiliar streets after dark in a thunder storm in a hurry when your delivery destination doesn't have house numbers and hasn't bothered to turn the porch lights on. Fold hundreds of pizza boxes between orders - cardboard cuts are nearly as bad as paper cuts. Prep, cut, and box orders so you can get them out the door more quickly. Unload stacks of boxed ingredients from the semi that delivers in the middle of dinner rush. Take orders over the phone. Get blamed when the person who actually took the order screwed it up. Be spoken to like you are a complete and utter idiot simply because you choose to deliver pizza for a second job. Get robbed. Get propositioned (not as fun as you think). Use your personal phone to call the person who doesn't answer the door despite your having rung the doorbell and knocked repeatedly. Get knocked down or bitten by their "friendly" dog. Fall on your @ss on the icy sidewalk or steps. Get paid in quarters by the 12 year old who doesn't tip you. Get stiffed by teenagers whose parents left them enough money for the order before they left for their evening out. See people answer the door in very little clothing - also not as fun as you think in most cases...

I was grateful for the job and it was fun at times - many people were very friendly, gracious, and generous. Ironically, it seemed that people in blue collar neighborhoods tipped better than the folks in $400,000 houses.

I tip waitstaff and delivery drivers well - and very well for good service. I do not begrudge waitstaff their tips and think they work their tails off, so don't take this as a criticism of them... People that would never tip less than $10 on a $50 restaurant check think nothing of giving the driver $1.50 on an equivalent delivery order. I certainly would not have expected $10 on that order, but ~10% always seemed reasonable to me on a larger than normal order, with a $2 minimum, even on a small order.

Check out http://tipthepizzaguy.com/ for some great information.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Restaurants do make up for a server if they don't make min. wage WEEKLY! It's not a daily thing. Over the course of a pay period, a server SHOULD average out to min. wage.

There is a difference between what they are supposed to do and what they do. They DO NOT make up for it in most cases.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I figure they work hard and hustle to get orders to me on time so they deserve it.