Do you tip a pizza delivery man when..

Options

Replies

• chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yup...

Like people said the delivery fee is to the company... plus they are using their own vehicles... wear and tear and all. Plus we didn't have to leave the house!! LOL
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yes, in cash, so that person can, hopefully, get the full amount of the tip.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Just like many others have pointed out, the delivery fee is NOT tip. It goes to the company. It's your responsibility to tip the driver to compensate for gas and the pain of driving you your pizza. I used to work in a pizza place, and trust me those drivers are not getting rich off of your tips. They actually need them.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Always tip the delivery guy. I used to own a pizzeria and although I'd give some of the delivery charge to the driver, it wasn't enough to make a tip unnecessary.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.
    Technically, thatis what they are supposed to do.

Actually yeah, when I worked in a restaurant they did do that. On the other hand, if I never got any tips my boss probably would have been suspicious and I could've risked losing my job. So I STILL think you should always tip your waitress/delivery driver. It shows that you appreciated their service!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Do you tip a cashier when they check you out at the grocery store?

No but you should tip the bag boy

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • angryguy77
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.
    Technically, thatis what they are supposed to do.

That's dbaggery at its finest. What kind of scrooge are you? Is an extra 3-5 bucks going to break you? Guess what, if nobody tipped, restaurants would have to pay more in salary and prices would go up.
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    Always
  • clucas13
    clucas13 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

A really simple job??? When you have to fight through traffic to get the pizza to the customer in the required minimum time frame... When you have to walk from the car to the customer's door in the pouring rain or freezing temperatures.....When you have to worry about wether or not a careless customer will have thier Pit Bull or other vicious animal on a leash.....When you have to walk up three flights of stairs with six pizzas and two 2-liter colas..... Delivery drivers do more than deliver your hot dinner to your door so you don't have to get up from your couch to feed your family......they deliver a SERVICE! They put wear and tear on their vehicle and risk accidents every time they go on a delivery. People who do not tip delivery drivers should be ashamed of themselves!

Can you tell I deliver pizzas????
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.
    Pizza delivery drivers get paid about $4 an hour plus tips. Hardly minimum wage. It's also hardly a "simple job."
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Yeah. The drivers get screwed, definitely tip them.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Pizza delivery drivers get paid about $4 an hour plus tips. Hardly minimum wage. It's also hardly a "simple job."

I spent several months doing this about 20 years ago (eeks, 25 years ago? ... anywho...), and something you need to consider is that this job absolutely WRECKS your car. This is about the hardest driving you can do, outside an Rally race. All stopping and starting the car, engine turning on and engine turning off about 20 times an hour. And most of these guys don't have awesome cars to start with. They need every dime.
  • angryguy77
    Options

A really simple job??? When you have to fight through traffic to get the pizza to the customer in the required minimum time frame... When you have to walk from the car to the customer's door in the pouring rain or freezing temperatures.....When you have to worry about wether or not a careless customer will have thier Pit Bull or other vicious animal on a leash.....When you have to walk up three flights of stairs with six pizzas and two 2-liter colas..... Delivery drivers do more than deliver your hot dinner to your door so you don't have to get up from your couch to feed your family......they deliver a SERVICE! They put wear and tear on their vehicle and risk accidents every time they go on a delivery. People who do not tip delivery drivers should be ashamed of themselves!

Can you tell I deliver pizzas????

Exactly right.
    I sense a bit if elitism in some here that don't tip. it's a menial job and the people working it are not worth the extra few bucks for a tip obviously.

2 years ago before I landed the job I have now, I had to deliver pizza to make ends meet . I had a family to support. To those that don't tip because they are cheap skates, remember some drivers/waitresses are trying to make enough to pay bills and put food on the table the next time you decide if you're going to stiff them or not.
  • angryguy77
    Options
    double post
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    having worked in service industry - beyond a shadow of a doubt, but if I specify debit/ credit and they fail to bring the machine then they will get a much smaller tip.
    They actually get a larger tip from me if I pay with a card, as the service fee that the company is charged for that transaction comes out of their tips! I'm a good tipper, though - I've never given less than $7 to a pizza guy.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Of course I do. Delivery charge or not.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Yes, always. I can't imagine not tipping the delivery person.
    Cut back somewhere else.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yup! My husband did it on and off both part time and full time (and thank you JESUS that season has ended!) and more often than not, these guys would get "stiffed" They get a part of the delivery charge, but it doesn't amount to much when they use their personal car and they pay for the maintenance and gas on the car.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you can't tip a guy/girl like 5 bucks, you probably shouldn't be ordering a pizza. Make it at home or something. And I'm sorry but if it cost 20$ for a pizza I wouldn't buy it because I would still feel obligated to tip thus costing me 25 or more, so raising the price wouldn't be cool. Most of them are teenagers, and they need money to gas their cars and fix it, that's wear and tare on their car to deliver your pizza, be respectful as if you were in a restaurant.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Always. Minimum wage doesn't go far especially when your job requires you to use your own car, your own phone and your own gas.