exercise calories explained

Options

Replies

• MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do what I'm told, so I never really challenged the eating back the calories. Hey, if I get to eat more, that normally shouldn't be a problem lol. But thank you so much for breaking it down in such an easy to read way!
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump
  • vgailj
    vgailj Posts: 4
    Options
    Okay, another question. I skimmed the other posts and didn't see this one, sorry if I missed it. My treadmill says my calories burned was 128, but it does not take my weight or anything else into consideration. When I posted my exercise it said my calories burned was 232 but that I should go with what my machine said. Does the site factor in my lifestyle and weight? If so, I should use the site's calculations for calories, yes?
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Great post.
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This was so helpful! I just went to change mine,i had my activity based on my workouts...but i just changed it to my normal daily activity,i was doing it wrong,it still says 1,200 calories,but i feel better knowing i can now log my workouts and everything will be correct..thank you for sharing this :D
  • mommaPeach72
    Options
    This has helped me so much!! Thank you OP :happy:
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I couldn't agree more with that last line.
  • ekburnet
    ekburnet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!!! I had many questions/comcerns answered. :smile:
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. Thank you for clearing this up!
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Thank you sooo much. I finally think I understand (to make me understand that is quite an accomplishment!) :smile:
  • ash012
    ash012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jitsurnr
    jitsurnr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation! I had put myself as very active, then was entering workouts, thus adding calories to eat! No wonder my weight loss has been so agonizingly slow! Better late than never I guess!
  • mkgrayson
    mkgrayson Posts: 17
    Options
    bump

Thank you
  • changinmylifeforever
    changinmylifeforever Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to really explain this. I am new to MFP, this is the kind of info I need to get to my goals.

ps to all I am looking for positve support on my journey please friend me if this is you!
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    so if I am set at "lightly active" should I count my exercise calories? I am on my feet all day but then do my workouts at the gym on top of that....
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Awesome post - thanks!
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So I shouldn't worry about my BMR or TDEE just go with MFP recommended calories?

My BMR is 1480
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I am being dumb here but I still have a question about exercise and its results on calories.

I start with 1320 calories allowance.

Two possibilities:

1. I eat 1320 calories, but I exercise and save 320 calories - a net value of 1000.

2. I sit still all day and do no exercise. As a result I get by with 1000 calories.

In both cases, I save 320 calories. Surely the exercise option is better for me?

If I am expected to just eat more to make up any calories I save by exercising, what is the point of the exercise?

You seem to be saying I have to use up ALL of the allotted calories, including any I save from exercise.

It seems odd to be suggesting I can lose weight by eating more.