Eat more to weigh less....

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
So recently I joined the eat more to weigh less group and was curious about trying a metabolism reset.

Based on my current activity level I should be eating about 2,200 maintenance calories.

I'm 5'5, 161 lb, 27

I'm find it really hard to maintain my 40/40/20 macros and eat such a large amount of calories in a healthy way. I tried this yesterday and ended up eating chicken wings to fill up the calorie gap :( This morning again I got a fatty breakfast. HELP :(

Can you guys suggest meals to hit 2,200 cal/day?

Replies

• onikonor
    Options
    Anyone?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie and macro goals for the day, it's healthy.

What's wrong with chicken wings, or a fatty breakfast? Low calorie =/= healthy, low fat =/= healthy.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My macros are at 40/40/20, but I'm aiming for 1750 minimum cals per day. Feel free to look at my diary for what my daily meal plan looks like. It feels like a ton of food to me!
  • onikonor
    Options
    My macros are at 40/40/20, but I'm aiming for 1750 minimum cals per day. Feel free to look at my diary for what my daily meal plan looks like. It feels like a ton of food to me!

I have the same macros and 2,200 does seem like a tonne of food. I tried eating at 1,800 and it felt like a good amount but apparently it was still a cut of about 400 cal/day.

Lauren, how tall are you?
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I have the same macros and 2,200 does seem like a tonne of food. I tried eating at 1,800 and it felt like a good amount but apparently it was still a cut of about 400 cal/day.

I'm 5'6"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If you were full on 1800 and you were losing, why do you feel compelled to eat more? Those online BMR and TDEE calculators just give general estimates. Our bodies are pretty good at telling us when they need more food.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If you were full on 1800 and you were losing, why do you feel compelled to eat more? Those online BMR and TDEE calculators just give general estimates. Our bodies are pretty good at telling us when they need more food.
    [/quote]

this^^

once you reach goal weight gradually increase calories till you find your maintainance level. as above poster said, these calculators are all estimates, everyone's different.

(i find 40/30/30 easier)
  • onikonor
    Options

I am not losing that's the problem. I was netting about 1200 by eating 1600 and not losing for a month now.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I am not losing that's the problem. I was netting about 1200 by eating 1600 and not losing for a month now.

600 more calories seems like a lot to add to try and lose, especially if you are full on 1800. Did you try 1800 or 1900 for a few weeks first?
  • onikonor
    Options

600 more calories seems like a lot to add to try and lose, especially if you are full on 1800. Did you try 1800 or 1900 for a few weeks first?

I've only upped it to about 1800 last few days, so no.
    The problem is I don't trust my body to tell me how much I should eat since I ended up gaining all this weight in the first place.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try an apple or celery with peanut butter for a snack. Greek yogurt with almonds. Avocados are great for salads as well as almonds and chicken. Protein powder with fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, etc.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Have you been here since May and lost 19 lbs? I would just keep doing what you were doing and not mess with those stupid 'metabolism reset' ideas. Our bodies aren't alarm clocks. 1600 calories a day isn't starvation level. Your metabolism is fine.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I've only upped it to about 1800 last few days, so no.
    The problem is I don't trust my body to tell me how much I should eat since I ended up gaining all this weight in the first place.

Understandle. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to stick to 1800 for a few weeks. If that's still not working up it another 100-200. But you need to give your body several weeks to adjust to each change. Don't expect results overnight.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Have you been here since May and lost 19 lbs? I would just keep doing what you were doing and not mess with those stupid 'metabolism reset' ideas. Our bodies aren't alarm clocks. 1600 calories a day isn't starvation level. Your metabolism is fine.

Maybe you are right but I have been on a special program for about a month and a half where I was eating between 800-1000 calories daily and lost all of the 19 lb this way. I don't think I would have messed up my metabolism in a month.

I decided to opt for more exercise instead and have upped my calories to 1300-1600 and started exercising and did not see my weight shift at all (for a month). In the last couple of days I upped my calories again to 1600-1800 or so because I was getting more hungry from all the exercise.

Maybe I will just stick to 1800 as someone suggested for 3 weeks and see how that shakes out.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm also a member of EM2WL — give it some time and stick with it. It might take you a little bit to get used to eating more, but your body will adjust to it and start losing again, as long as you give it enough time to right itself. I would suggest putting this thread in the actual group's message board instead of just this general one, there are people on there that will be more likely to see it and have specific help for your goals.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I'm also a member of EM2WL — give it some time and stick with it. It might take you a little bit to get used to eating more, but your body will adjust to it and start losing again, as long as you give it enough time to right itself. I would suggest putting this thread in the actual group's message board instead of just this general one, there are people on there that will be more likely to see it and have specific help for your goals.

I completely agree with above...You will probably get more help if you put this in the group threads b/c there are so many of us going through some of the same issues and people who have been with it and gotten through it...Like I always tell everyone in the group - Consistency and Patience are the keys to get through this process...It has worked for many many people and it can work for you as well..

Some links to great threads and to the main group page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Also, if you have only been eating low calorie for a month then you really don't need to eat at TDEE, you can start at a cut of 15% and stick with that for at least 4-6wks....A reset is always a good start but not necessary if you really haven't been doing the VLCD.

15% cut of 2200 would be right at 1870 cals/day...And you do not have to eat back exercise calories...

ETA: One thing I used to help get my calories in and make my macros is to eat nuts b/c they are dense in calories and full of good fats...Also, I drink chocolate protein shakes and add extras in it like peanut butter, some people put bananas, berries, spinach, etc...The shakes for me help a whole lot with my protein numbers and the chocolate helps me to not crave chocolate like I used to b/c I get my chocolate fix...Best of luck to you!! :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Can you guys suggest meals to hit 2,200 cal/day?

Check out my diary. Might be boring and repetitive but I enjoy it and it could give you a couple ideas on something to do at least one day of the week.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

May I ask what are Marcos? 40/40/20?
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options

May I ask what are Marcos? 40/40/20?

carbs, protein, and fat percentages.