Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    There are 2 places on my body that actually tan...my neck line & my left arm...other than that, I border on vampire-white; I fry, turning lobster red, peel & then revert back to my vampiric state.

I'm ok with this...I don't want skin the same color & texture as a leather bus seat...
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, but my hair is more blonde with a little red tint. My sister though looks Native American, and my little brother goes outside and has a great tan in 15 minutes. I just laugh and say I got all my family's recessive genes. I would look ridiculous if I was as dark as my sister or brother, but I do plan on going tanning (mainly to help balance out my tan lines on my shoulders). The last year or so I've bought the lightest shade of foundation and had it be too dark at least 2 times, which is really irritating! I don't think there's anything wrong with being pale :smile:
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i'm pale pink, ten minutes in the sun and i'm red. i like being pale, i hope i dont get skin cancer from all the times i got a really bad sun burn. every summer we would go to a lake to go camping. every year i would get a bad sun burn, my nose has been blistered at least 10 times. that was all when i was 12 and under.

since i was in my teens i do not leave the house without sun screen on my face and all exposed body parts. couldnt care less about what other people think of my skin.
  • angiejo666
    angiejo666 Posts: 11
    Options
    Growing up a redhead in Southern CA surrounded by a heaping load of tan blondes made my youth a bit trying, but I have grown to love my red hair and pale skin. Do I glow in the dark? Sometimes...but it makes it that much easier for my hubby to find me. :blushing: Will my skin dry up and age me 20 years? Nope! I am pale and happy!! Be proud!!!!

It amazes me that with all we know about excessive sun exposure...people still go out unprotected and fry themselves all in the name of "beauty." It also amazes me that adults in the workplace will raz me about my skin tone...kids on a playground I get...adults at work...really???
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm not pale, but can't see why anyone should find issue with it. We come in all sorts of colors and should love the color we were born with!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I tan REALLY easily, even though I always wear sunscreen and am really cautious and protective of my skin. People usually think I'm Hispanic because I'm so dark (I am white, yes, I promise, English, French, and German), and I'm actually envious of my much fairer skinned mother. For a really dumb reason too lol...I LOVE playing with hair colors, but when you're really tan, you're kind of limited in that department. I've always wanted to try blonde hair or going ginger, but I would look SO dumb!

So embrace your creamy, fair skin, especially you redheads who I'm so jealous of!
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    we gingers do NOT look good with a tan. sun can kill us if we use it long enough to "tan" - and by that i mean our freckles merge. and fake-and-bake looks TERRIBLE with our hair/eyes. we gingers are meant to be a pale ppl.

Word. Ginger and proud!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think pale is absolutely gorgeous. I've always secretly wished to be red headed, pale skinned and blue eyed. I'm naturally tan soooo.. no hope there.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    pale skin IS SO MUCH BETTER than people who look like they just rolled in doritos.

monitor tans for life.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hate the whole "tan is healthy!" mentality. There is way too much skin cancer in my family for me to think that tan is healthy. I will stay pale, thankyouverymuch. I will douse myself in sunscreen if I'm going out for longer than ten minutes, and I will do the same to my children. I can't force my husband to do the same, as much I would like to, and because he's of Mediterranean descent, he seems to think that he's immune to skin cancer. Frustrating as hell.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm very light blonde, of Norwegian descent, and guess what - very, very light skinned! The only people with lighter skin than I are people who are truly albino.

I've gotten the comments too - that I should get a tan, and I'm always like ya know what? I don't think it looks natural at all to see someone with very light hair have tan skin. I do tan, a little bit, during the summer if I'm out enough, but not much. And that's fine. I've even been asked if I'm anemic because I'm so fair. (No, I'm not anemic, my hgb runs between 13-14!)

I think naturally fair skin is lovely, actually :)
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Pasty face Irish Girl and Proud of it!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm a red head and quite pale! No problems with it :)
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fair skinned red head here, too. Fat just looks better with some color. It is just the truth. That being said, spray it on. I stay OUT of the sun. But I am not opposed to the spray tan. My opinion.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anyway, where do people of MFP fall on the spectrum? Do you think being pale truly is bad, or just different?

I think as you age you will be very, very glad you didn't listen to those telling you to tan. And they will be very jealous of your younger looking skin.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    pale skin looks good on some people....i personally dont like how pale my legs are.. but they dont tan at all
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I personally think its beautiful. Being pale is actually healthy isn't it? I mean, tans look nice, but what are they doing to our bodies!!!! CANCER anyone?

:-)
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i think people dont realize theres a difference between pale and ivory skinned. i'm full blooded mexican but really light because i rarely spend a substancial amount of time outdoors with my legs/body exposed so I AM PALE lol i would look better tanned because of many various reasons. you are just fair skinned naturally so that is what looks best on you. dont let peoples ignorance get to you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    <-- This is me WITH a tan. Or as tan as I get. Also part Scottish. Also love being pale. And really love that I've been carded at 40.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    I will take pale and thin any day over tan and fat!