Annoying statements made about area of residence

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    You're from WHERE? MAINE? Isn't that in CANADA?

seriously? Have you EVER looked at a map in your life?!

my other one I get from Maine is.. "Do you all have electricity up there?".....

seriously.

I'll admit to saying to family on the west coast, "yeah, the winters suck here (RI), but at least it's not Maine." ;)

I hear Maine is just lovely, though, and if it weren't for longer winters than we have here, I'd probably love it, specifically coast-side.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    "You're from Connecticut? You must be rich and snobby."

Uh....no.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    S.F.. do NOT call it "Frisco"
    San Fran? :)

If you must. It's better than calling it Frisco. you can tell when people are tourists or bridge and tunnel. they say either of the aforementioned.
    Just teasing. :)
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Iowa

"Oh, so do you live near a corn field?"

No. I live in Des Moines. I've never been on a damn farm in my life.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Iowa...Oh thats where they grow potatoes. Or Iowa do you eat anything other than corn?

Haha I grew up thereand was going to say the same thing. Or some comment about pigs and cows.

Just came back from two weeks in Iowa City. Enchanting, and really amazing ethnic and vegetarian food. Wonderful place!
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Ahahah! I knew it, that is why I have not visited Australia. Everything will try to kill me!

So here is a silly question about Australia. Have you heard of the movie Wolf Creek that is said to based on a true story? They say you can go for days without meeting anyone... There are psychos everywhere... but wow.

Can't say much as I was born and raised in Florida and now that I have moved away it feels as if all the crazy stories are coming back. Naked man eating faces *shudder*

Well i have lived here for a few decades now and am still alive and have never been bitten, stung, eaten or mauled by anything... I think you'd be safe to come visit :)

Wolf Creek was loosely based on the cases of Ivan Malat, a serial killer who murdered a bunch of people in a state forest, and the abduction and murder of Peter Falconio by Bradley John Murdoch...

And i wouldnt say there are pschos EVERYWHERE... I only know one murderer... I'd hazard a guess that there are far more psychos, serial killers and murderers by population in the U.S...
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm from Philly: so i get the ol' references to throwing Batteries, Booing Santa....just to start.... :wink:
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    This is more of a local one. I live in Greenville, NC and for some stupid reason it's been nicknamed "G-Vegas". There is even an effing magazine called "G-Vegas" now. I just don't understand. D: The nightlife pretty much sucks, and we have only a handful of even halfway decent bars. Yes, our local college (ECU) has a reputation as a party college, but that's not the whole freakin' town!

The ghetto is pretty much taking over our downtown area. :( Pretty soon it won't be any fun to live here at all.

(Oh, and dry heat is totally better than humid heat! The air gets so thick with moisture you can hardly breathe some days. Not to mention it's pretty much pointless to try and do anything with your hair the entire summer.)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have several:

I'm from Washington state-Ohh do you know the President? Umm first of all That is DC not stat and even if I lived in DC, I highly doubt I would be going over for supper to the ol' white house!

Ohh You are from WaRshington...NO NO NO I am from WASHINGTON...Do you see any friggin' "R" in there? Grrr!!!

I am from Vancouver, Wa and I hate when people say The "couve" It's Vancouver not the "Cove!"

Ohh and No we do not have webbed feet cause it rains so much-and no we do not rust instead of Tan!
    I lived there for years, yes it was often called "the couve" lol
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    no i am NOT a masshole! and no i do NOT live in Boston.. (yes folks there is more to mass, than Boston..) i live in the Western side.. where there be dragons.. :)
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not one annoying statement about San Diego. It is just just too damned awesome here.

Of course...best place in the world!!! :) They don't call it "America's Finest City" for nothing!

San Diego, CA

I've come up with one! I usually complain about how freezing I am during our winter. I've had plenty of out of state people tell me I'm crazy, and it's not possible! Ummmm my body is acclimated to the weather here, not in Alaska, New York, or the midwest. So YES I am freezing when it drops below 69 degrees. Sorry! :tongue:
  • Sweet_Tea_Mama
    Options
    LOLOLOL!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

and NO NO NO a million times NO! we are not all like Sarah Palin!

Thank god!!!
  • DisputedEnds
    Options
    "You live in southern California you must be rich"
    "Everyone in cali smokes weed"
    i don't and none of my friends do so i guess and we are not all rich.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Key West
    When talking to someone and then know I am from here and work here we get: So do you live here? No I commute 3+ hours each way to get back to Miami!

Or

I'm having a debate with my wife and we were here a few years ago and I know the sun set over there and not here, so tell my wife she's wrong. Okay ppl whatever floats your boat.

Or

Aren't you worried about hurricanes, you get them a lot. Seriously, the last one we had was in 2005! Stop listening to Jim Cantore, he's a douche bag!
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    Native Floridian (Yes, we do actually exist - not everyone moves here from elsewhere ;-))
    Though, truthfully, I'm not as proud of that as I used to be, unfortunately . . .

~ I have visited New Mexico and Arizona and was INFINITELY more comfortable there than I am in Florida in the summer . . . though to be fair, Central and Southern Florida (Coastal) usually have an ocean breeze to help. I'm in Tallahassee now and there is NO ocean breeze - July, August, early September can be one of Dante's levels . . . by the time it 'cools' off enough to go outside, the mosquitos are out :-( And you usually can't go swimming in the afternoon to cool off, b/c that's when the storms roll in.

Oh, and we just returned from a driving trip to Niagara Falls - everyone, everywhere asked if we were surprised by how hot it was up north . . . we looked at them like they were crazy because it was extremely comfortable (though I do undertsand it CAN be nasty-not in the summer as well - we just happened to miss it).
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You're in Illinois? Aren't there only cornfields there? No, there are green bean fields, cabbage fields, orchards, wheat, peas, grapes, strawberries, soybeans, popcorn, wineries, we are the Imperial valley of the midwest and OMG we do have hills and forests here. We also have an occasional river with bluffs and cliffs and even waterfalls! And no I'm not from Chicawgo and you don't pronounce ILLINOIS like ILLINOISE!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    "Hey.

I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader, and I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dog sled, and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President. I speak English and French, not American, and I pronounce it 'about', not 'a boot'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing; diversity, not assimilation; and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.

A tuque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch, and it is pronounced zed: not zee –zed!!

Canada is the second largest land mass! The first nation of hockey! And the best part of North America!

My name is Joe!! And I am Canadian!

... Thank you."

amen!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started xD

1. 'Yes I'm from the Netherlands. No it's not the capital of Amsterdam -_-'

You have NO idea how many people have asked me if The Netherlands (or Holland) is the capital of Amsterdam.. basic geography people!

2. Apparently The Netherlands only has one city (Amsterdam), and I'm supposed to know everybody who lives there personally (all 790.044 of them) Yes it's a small country but not THAT small xD

3. I do not wear clogs, live in a windmill, smoke weed or grow tulips...

4. Last but not least, I am Dutch. NOT Belgian and DEFINITELY not German!!!! *grrr*
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    "they don't call it hotlanta for nothin'"

First of all, I don't call it "hotlanta" ever
    Second, aww nevermind

JUST StOP sAYING It!
    After getting stuck in Fklanta traffic for over four hours when they reduced 6 (or 8?) lanes of traffic to ONE for construction, I have no desire to go back there. Ever. lol

Me and a group of my friends call Atlanta The Hellmouth (Buffy) for reasons too long to type and too sordid to bring to the public *laff*
    I think the Atlanta airport is The Hellmouth.