Vanity Sizing - Who are the worst offenders?

Options

Replies

• lalaloses
    lalaloses Posts: 22
    Options
    Fashion Bug! I bought a sweater in their was I was like a 3/4 X and it was an L/XL. I couldn't believe that it fit.

The opposite? Hot Topic. Their XL women's shirts are like a small. gah.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and I find that Reitmans is bad. I'm 5'3" and about 140lbs, yet some of their size small shirts hang off me and I take a size 5 in their skirts and pants.

Yup, I was gonna say the same thing. The majority of their shirts are too big for me and I'm pretty top-heavy lol.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think America wins, as in the UK I am a size 10, but in the US I am a 6............
    That's just a different sizing system based on country; a US 6 is a UK 10, a US 12 is a UK 16, a US 0 is a UK 4, etc. That's why we don't have 'size 0' clothes in this country, because that's a 4 to us.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i haven't been there in a long time but lane brynt changed the sizes of the jeans to the 1,2,3 sizing how that worked i dont know i'm to cheap to send my money with them
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I think America wins, as in the UK I am a size 10, but in the US I am a 6............
    That's just a different sizing system based on country; a US 6 is a UK 10, a US 12 is a UK 16, a US 0 is a UK 4, etc. That's why we don't have 'size 0' clothes in this country, because that's a 4 to us.

The size difference between UK and US is only one. So a US 6 is a UK 8, 8 is a 1o, 10 is a 12, etc..
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Which is why I was so depressed shopping when I moved to the UK some years ago. I would only by clothes when I was visiting back home in Canada.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Old navy is TERRIBLE! And why is it that you can grab 3 pairs of the same jean, same cut, same size, same color and they all fit differently? They're SUPER inconsistent with their sizing. I'm not mad though. I go there on my "fat" days and try on clothes I know I have no business wearing. When they fit, I say "Yayyy!" and leave...empty handed. LOL
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    i think american eagle is really bad when i was a size 5/6 i was able to fit into a size 0 there even now when regularly i am a size 10/11 ( i was a size 16, three months ago) i still fit into a 6 or 7 from them
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Aren't Banana Republic, the GAP and Old Navy all owned under the same umbrella? so this would make sense if these three stores are consistently showing up in this thread.....

I love Old Navy - their 6's are too big and I'm like yeahhhhhhhhhh i'll buy that. ;)
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Wow, if I use McCall's I would be a size 14! Crazy. LOL Currently, I am a size 8. Guess I should be happy with vanity sizing ;)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i think american eagle is really bad when i was a size 5/6 i was able to fit into a size 0 there even now when regularly i am a size 10/11 ( i was a size 16, three months ago) i still fit into a 6 or 7 from them

Oh my goodness!

See that is weird - when I try stuff on there, I struggle to fit into my size. I usually have to go up a size.
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As far as Aussie stores, Sportsgirl are bad for it. I love their clothes and I love that I fit in to their XXS/size 6 - in fact even that is too big for me sometimes! But then I couldn't even look at a XXS in many other stores.

It is nice for the ego and I probably do fall into the trap of buying more because my heart rejoices to see a XXS label in my closet!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    NY and Company has me fitting into a size 2 when normally I'm a 6, maybe a 4.

Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic are pretty big offenders in the vanity sizing world, I agree...
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Definitely Old Navy
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I have NO CLUE what my size is anymore!
    I don't know if Old Navy is different in Canada than it is in the US ... I'm in Canada ... I'm usually a large/size 14. At Old Navy, some tops I can fit into a medium. I just got some size 12 shorts, but I *thought* that was because I lost weight. Maybe not after all :(.
    Reitmans too ... I usually fit into mediums there ...
    This is kinda depressing.
    So this might mean my clothes size is much bigger than I thought it was!
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I wonder about Targets clothes, not Jrs but there ladies clothing. Does anyone think they run big or small?

Target's are HORRIBLE! I'm still in the plus sized clothing...yet you don't wear a 14/16 or an 18/20, etc....you're a 1, 2, 3, 4...it's annoying. I know I'm an 18/20, let me buy an 18/20. Saying that I'm a "2" isn't going to make me buy more....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the more you're willing to pay for clothes, the smaller your dress size will be.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    White House|Black Market - I feel slim shopping there... Sometimes fitting a size small even!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    J. Crew is terrible. I ordered a skirt online, size 4, and it literally fell off my hips. Turn out I wear a 0 at J. Crew? Haven't been in a size 0 in any other brand since 7th grade.

White House Black Market is more accurate, but every once in a while some of their pieces are way off.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I am a size zero at Maurice's....LOL