How much do you pay for a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• dArtagnia
    dArtagnia Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    $36 - Its 24hrs and I can go to any location. Both are very important for me.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I pay $39 a month, which includes free (to members) child care. That includes a military discount, which I REALLY appreciate -- but it's pretty reasonable either way because for me, child care is the kicker. I joined because I LOVE going to yoga classes, but none of the yoga studios here have child care (I'm a single parent), and membership + child care = expensive.
    Do you have another option that has free child care? The gyms around here either have child care or don't, but they don't charge extra for it.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my workplace has a Healthy Lifestyles program and part of that commitment on the company's part is to provide a gym and showers. It's not a great gym, but the showers are what I use the most since I bicycle in to work frequently.
    This is WONDERFUL. I love it when I work someplace that has exercise facilities and showers. I wish everyone did this!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    $20.00 a month. Planet Fitness-Black Card
    They do charge you like...I think an extra $40.00 annually for a membership free.

I get:
    Unlimited tanning
    Massage Chairs-we don't have YET but will
    1/2 Price drinks
    Free training-everyone gets
    I can go to other Planet fitness gyms
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    £13 a month. :)
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    its freeeeeee i workout in my house
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    We go to the YMCA and it is $76 a month for our family membership. There was also a one time joiner fee of $100.
  • JoeyliciousB
    JoeyliciousB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Gyms in London are soooo expensive! I paid £75 a month (about $120) and hardly used it!! I cancelled my membership and used the money I saved to buy equipment so I can workout at home. :happy:
  • bwmiller1
    bwmiller1 Posts: 98
    Options
    I bribe with a steeped tea and a smile. long live pir8rav!
  • hopeandlove91
    hopeandlove91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I looked at joining a gym, but when I did the math I found that it would be cheaper for me to buy a treadmill than one year of a gym membership...and that was with an incentive from the insurance company for the gym membership. I also purchased a few workout dvd's that incorporated weights.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    $20 bucks Planet Fitness. I love my gym!! I can work out all over on any machine or use any weights. Also get to tan and Red Light Therapy. My Gatorade and water is half off and I get weekly specials on any products they sell.
  • Dalacombe
    Dalacombe Posts: 30
    Options
    Check out your local YMCA and all they offer :)
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    $10/month at Aspen Fitness which is clean and has the necessities and includes free childcare and tanning, neither of which I use. It doesn't have pools, tracks, saunas or anything fancy that a large gym would have.

As soon as summer ends, I'm switching to the brand new YMCA in town that is $42/mo but my work will pay half.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    $0 running is free. Weights are inexpensive.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    David Lloyd - £75 per month for me, the same for my husband and £27.50 each for the kids - The kids and I love it and use the gym , pools and classes. My husband had a £300 swim last week :(

It really does look a lot cheaper over the pond
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The Rush Fitness, family of 4 = $65 a month
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 a month at my gym! That's for unlimited classes & it cost me nothing to join! I also pay $140 a month for personal training though, which is totally optional but it's helped me LOADS! Only join if you know you'll stay committed! I haven't missed a week since I joined last October :)
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    single parent membership at the local Y, $45.90/month
  • trianaw
    trianaw Posts: 177
    Options
    [/quote]

Planet Fitness has a special rate for black people? And is it more or less than the normal membership?

Seriously, $30-50 is the normal (U.S.) rate for standard gyms. The high end clubs will triple or quadruple that. I had to talk my workout partner out of joining the Equinox they opened up down the street this spring. $150 a month, and they don't have a pool or basketball court. To go the the big Equinox in West LA is $225 per month because of the pool and BBall court. That's crazytime.

I've been a Bally's member for over 15 years now. It'll probably change now they they sold to LA Fitness, but for the past few years I've been paying $100 per year. I've joined other gyms but still kept that membership up just out of principle.
    [/quote]

Planet Fitness black card allows the member to bring a guest.

I had Bally's for many years as well. I do believe when I joined it was Fitness Plus or something & Bally's bought them out. For years I paid less than $100. But was a member of LA Fitness and at least one other gym, as well. I always thought high end gyms were a waste. However if you take specialty classes and pay per class they add up.

But in response to your statement in regards to the "Big Equinox in WLA" - it's not $225 for the pool & the basketball court. It's the old Sports Club/LA. You're paying for the location, the best teachers and all the other amenities. It's expensive any way you look @ it. But it's a greater expense if you don't use it. That goes for anything you pay for. So from $10-300 it will add up if it's not used.

As for home gyms - the average person isn't self motivated and the equipment goes unused.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    $20 a month, and as a bonus, it's payroll deducted. Of course, if I want to do group exercise, its another $20 per semester, but the only class I want to take (Hydro-fit) is not included in that.