Sports fans: Commen Misconceptions about fans of your team?

Options

Replies

• NicoleMarie00
    NicoleMarie00 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan here.
    Most other fans think the majority of our fan base are bandwagon fans since the lockout. Although that may be true for some it certainly isn't for all.
    How can you argue with a girl who's favorite players growing up were Marty Straka, Darius Kasparaitis, Michel Ouellet and the Moose?? haha

LGP
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong Atlanta Braves fan. I'm honestly not sure if there *are* any stereotypes about us! We're good people!

I did have an interesting encounter with some Phillies fans not long ago that makes me want to respond to the Phillies fans above. They came to Turner Field, where the Braves were hosting the Cardinals, decked out in full Phillies regalia. Okay, whatever floats your boat. We get a lot of opposing team fans in Atlanta, and I've never seen Atlanta fans be anything less than gracious to them. But these Phillies fans spent the ENTIRE game yelling "Braves suck!" and "Go Phillies!" (even though the Phillies WERE NOT PLAYING THAT DAY) - and clearly enjoying the glares of everyone around them, especially when they cursed repeatedly despite being within earshot of children (eventually they moved to another section after our usher told them to can it).

I know these people aren't representative of ALL Phillies fans, but they certainly weren't doing y'all any favors!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Lincoln Financial Field holds 68532 people. I assure you that not all of us deserve the reputation that has, once again, been over-exaggerated by the media because of a few *kitten*.

She is right, the media blows it up and makes it much worse than it is. I bet none of you ever heard about the Eagles fan who was beaten down in Washington after a game inside the stadium. I forget if he was put in a comma or killed but no one talks about that. It never made the news. Point being it happens everywhere.

Philly is a lighting rod for these things because it is the EASY story. I see nothing wrong with booing or taunting opposing teams fans. It's all part of the fun and experience. Of course there is a fine line and some of our great fans needs to walk that line more then they do. If you can't take the heat and a couple boo's then get out of the kitchen.

Please provide a reference to the Philly fan beaten in DC?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Huge Pittsburgh Penguins fan here.
    Most other fans think the majority of our fan base are bandwagon fans since the lockout. Although that may be true for some it certainly isn't for all.
    How can you argue with a girl who's favorite players growing up were Marty Straka, Darius Kasparaitis, Michel Ouellet and the Moose?? haha

LGP

There are a lot of bandwagon fans in that franchise though. Same thing for the Buffalo Sabres. When I first moved to that area for college, the team sucked and no one talked about them. The next year they had their best season in ages and my campus was full of jerseys and Sabers tshirts. The same thing happened in Michigan with the Tigers. We've always sucked but now that we're decent everyone's all about the Tigers. I'm even catching the bug a little!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Last time I checked, there wasn't a welcome sign on the entrance to the Linc.

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.

So they deserve the reputation, then?

Well said Doorki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reputations are CREATED by ones actions !!!!!!!! they act like animals then wonder why they are called that ! Please dont give me the whole its a philly thing .. Oh and I will admit I am a huge phillies fan and you can clearly see the difference in a phillies game and an eagles game...the Football fans are the worst I have ever been around. Sorry Philly , just speaking the truth !

Lincoln Financial Field holds 68532 people. I assure you that not all of us deserve the reputation that has, once again, been over-exaggerated by the media because of a few *kitten*.

OK over-exaggerated..... that like saying Michael jackson was over -exaggerated as a man who loved little boys...or like Whitney houston was over-exaggerated as a drug user...listen if people are saying the same thing about people for years upon years..then its usually true, Make no mistake about it Phillies-chic you are all very die-hard fans but all of us are passionate about our favorite teams, we just go about showing it in a different way. I commend you for staying loyal and true to your team however You have to admit that parking lot and stadium on game day is out of control with offensive outburst to any opposing team fan. I am first in line for a good smack talk but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Are YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only do I not have to admit this, I won't. It's simply not how it is for ALL Philadelphia sports fans...stadiums and parking lots included.

"All" = generalizations -- which are never a good idea.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

If you don't like what happens here, your choice is to stay home. Is it what it is.

Well said Doorki !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reputations are CREATED by ones actions !!!!!!!! they act like animals then wonder why they are called that ! Please dont give me the whole its a philly thing .. Oh and I will admit I am a huge phillies fan and you can clearly see the difference in a phillies game and an eagles game...the Football fans are the worst I have ever been around. Sorry Philly , just speaking the truth !

OK over-exaggerated..... that like saying Michael jackson was over -exaggerated as a man who loved little boys...or like Whitney houston was over-exaggerated as a drug user...listen if people are saying the same thing about people for years upon years..then its usually true, Make no mistake about it Phillies-chic you are all very die-hard fans but all of us are passionate about our favorite teams, we just go about showing it in a different way. I commend you for staying loyal and true to your team however You have to admit that parking lot and stadium on game day is out of control with offensive outburst to any opposing team fan. I am first in line for a good smack talk but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Not only do I not have to admit this, I won't. It's simply not how it is for ALL Philadelphia sports fans...stadiums and parking lots included.

somehow I knew this would turn into a pissing match but then again i didnt expect anyless. go figure !
  • phillieschic
    Options

somehow I knew this would turn into a pissing match but then again i didnt expect anyless. go figure !

Funny, neither did. I didn't realize having a differing opinion meant a "pissing match" would ensue. YOU went there, not me. I didn't throw anything at you...I didn't call you a name...I didn't even raise my voice. I simply didn't agree with you. But, wait...I'm a Philadelphia fan so that must mean I can't possibly make a logical point and it has to turn barbaric, right? Whatever. I respect that you have an opinion, I just would appreciate the same in return.

And, yeah, go figure that I wouldn't get that.

Generalizations, like the one you made, are not truly representative of the entire group.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

it's no coincidence in my mind that the eagles deserve their destiny of sucking for all eternity. it's what their fans deserve.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Im a Philly fan....all ppl think about us is we r evil & booed Santa

I think its evil that you support michael vick.

Really? The guy did 2 yrs in jail, lost 100m & will nvr have a good reputation. What do u think would b a legitimate and fair judgmeny?
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I don't think the Buckeye fans are all f-ups. But the players and coaching staff were, and if you deny that than you are as bad as them. Paying players in cash or other rewards is cheating in the NCAA. When a Michigan basketball team got caught doing it, and when USC football got caught doing it, both schools received much harsher punishments than OSU. You should all be thankful for that and to have gotten rid of a classless, cheating coach. The reason I am a fan of college and not pro is that the game is the motivation, not money.

Now, there are fans on both sides that are total asshats. I attended every home game last year, and the OSU fans were by and far the most disgusting in terms of behavior and the way they treated our stadium and tailgating zones. But there were a lot of fans who didn't do anything out of line either.

It's much more involved than this, but OSU did not get caught paying players with cash which is why the punishment was different. The players involved sold trinkets (B1G rings, gold pants) that they had earned to a third party for a minimal amount of cash and discounts on tattoos. Tress found out and didn't say anything. He was absolutely in error and it cost him his job but Jim Tressel is far from classless. As a fan of an opposing school, you may never agree and that's fine. Remember, there are people who still defend Joe Paterno, which is mind-boggling to me.

OSU does have some asshat fans, but so does any other school. IMO, Penn State and Wisconsin tend to be the worst. A few years ago Penn State fans threw urine balloons on OSU's band. The BAND!
  • skinnywithin
    Options

Funny, neither did. I didn't realize having a differing opinion meant a "pissing match" would ensue. YOU went there, not me. I didn't throw anything at you...I didn't call you a name...I didn't even raise my voice. I simply didn't agree with you. But, wait...I'm a Philadelphia fan so that must mean I can't possibly make a logical point and it has to turn barbaric, right? Whatever. I respect that you have an opinion, I just would appreciate the same in return.

And, yeah, go figure that I wouldn't get that.

Generalizations, like the one you made, are not truly representative of the entire group.

I believe this is what started it and its from you: Last time I checked, there wasn't a welcome sign on the entrance to the Linc.

Once again another philly fan who makes smart *kitten* comments then doesnt know why they are treated the way they are...gotta love it ! oh and per your words ...IT IS WHAT IT IS !
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Skinnywithin: id like some examples please
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Can we PLEASE get a LSU fan in here? :P
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

They all jumped off the bandwagon already ;-)
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Scotland Rugby - They wear kilts.

Doesn't really count as a misconception though.. it being true and everything
  • skinnywithin
    Options

Of?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Philly fan...and let me just say that we are NOT the only ones (ice ball concussion incident...WTG NY Giant fans)...
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

I don't think the Buckeye fans are all f-ups. But the players and coaching staff were, and if you deny that than you are as bad as them. Paying players in cash or other rewards is cheating in the NCAA. When a Michigan basketball team got caught doing it, and when USC football got caught doing it, both schools received much harsher punishments than OSU. You should all be thankful for that and to have gotten rid of a classless, cheating coach. The reason I am a fan of college and not pro is that the game is the motivation, not money.

Now, there are fans on both sides that are total asshats. I attended every home game last year, and the OSU fans were by and far the most disgusting in terms of behavior and the way they treated our stadium and tailgating zones. But there were a lot of fans who didn't do anything out of line either.

It's much more involved than this, but OSU did not get caught paying players with cash which is why the punishment was different. The players involved sold trinkets (B1G rings, gold pants) that they had earned to a third party for a minimal amount of cash and discounts on tattoos. Tress found out and didn't say anything. He was absolutely in error and it cost him his job but Jim Tressel is far from classless. As a fan of an opposing school, you may never agree and that's fine. Remember, there are people who still defend Joe Paterno, which is mind-boggling to me.

OSU does have some asshat fans, but so does any other school. IMO, Penn State and Wisconsin tend to be the worst. A few years ago Penn State fans threw urine balloons on OSU's band. The BAND!

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/20/ohio-state-hit-with-one-year-bowl-ban-over-bribery-scandal/
    But after the initial tattoo scandal, Ohio State and the NCAA discovered two additional problems. Three players were suspended just before the start of the season for accepting $200 from booster Bobby DiGeronimo, and midway through the Buckeyes’ 6-6 season it was revealed that several players had been paid too much for too little work on summer jobs — supplied by the same booster.

Not to mention Pryor driving around in expensive cars with no comments on how he can afford.

Edited to add: Seriously? $14,000 is not "minimal" amounts of cash, especially to a college student.
  • phillieschic
    Options

G, give her a minute...she'll have to re-read the whole thread in order to figure out what you're talking about...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

They all jumped off the bandwagon already ;-)

thank goodness!