Tactless Boyfriend!

Options

Replies

• mrsslimkatie
    Options
    Thanks for being so helpful and supportive by the way - some of the comments on here aren't making me feel great.
    [/quote]

One of the toughest lessons anyone will ever learn in life (some people never learn) is to take what is helpful to you and sh!%can the rest! None of it is a direct reflection on who you really are as a person. Your boyfriends negetive comments, all the comments on this thread including my own, even your own eating disorder, none of it has anything to do with who you really are deep down at the core of your being. The whole lot of it is just individual perspective based on the accumulation of individual circumstances. Each and every one of us is a whole, healthy, magnificent creature who's whole life purpose is to reconnect with that wholeness. Everything you are going through is part of your journey in finding it. You have the choice to be impowered by it towards positive forward movement or not. Either way it is ok. In the long run we all get where we are going anyway.
  • dbarrett30
    dbarrett30 Posts: 17
    Options
    PS: , MFP is a good place for support too, but you may benefit from some face-to-face time with a pal who can be there for you as you work through your plan and situation. This situation is worrisome to me.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being so helpful and supportive by the way - some of the comments on here aren't making me feel great.

One of the toughest lessons anyone will ever learn in life (some people never learn) is to take what is helpful to you and sh!%can the rest! None of it is a direct reflection on who you really are as a person. Your boyfriends negetive comments, all the comments on this thread including my own, even your own eating disorder, none of it has anything to do with who you really are deep down at the core of your being. The whole lot of it is just individual perspective based on the accumulation of individual circumstances. Each and every one of us is a whole, healthy, magnificent creature who's whole life purpose is to reconnect with that wholeness. Everything you are going through is part of your journey in finding it. You have the choice to be impowered by it towards positive forward movement or not. Either way it is ok. In the long run we all get where we are going anyway.
    [/quote]

^^very wise :heart:
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options

^^very wise :heart:
    [/quote]

Agreed. Much better than I put it. :)
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    1 WORD!

BYE!!

How insensitive can one person be! especially since you've had an eating disorder and have had struggle with this!
    This is your body and can mean life or death and, from someone who knows to have had one in my life, whenever someone has said anything remotely close to something about my weight/looks I just think about why did I ever stop exercising so much and not eating.

Please do something about this and talk to him! that's the most important thing, we have know idea what you guys have been through and stuff so communication is always the best way to get answers and find out what you need to do.

If you tell him very seriously and sternly that this is a very big issue for you (and most people) and to stop with the little comments. if he keeps doing it, I'd leave. if he works on it and fixes it, stay.

A lot of men are clueless that what they say can really have effects on us since the way they talk to each other is mindless and they don't even give a second thought about it because it doesn't bother them, not like it does women anyway.

hope that helps. I've had problems like this so feel free to add me or message me to talk!
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    To lighten things up I thought Id share this quote I just saw on Facebook!

Dont make excuses for him. You cant put flowers in an *kitten* and call it a vase.

HAHAHA!! I almost spit my water on the screen when I read that!!!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    To lighten things up I thought Id share this quote I just saw on Facebook!

Dont make excuses for him. You cant put flowers in an *kitten* and call it a vase.

HAHAHA!! I almost spit my water on the screen when I read that!!!

aww... i want to post this as my facebook status but people will think i'm talking about my husband. LMAO
  • prism3
    prism3 Posts: 10
    Options
    531361_412012035503568_553223137_n.jpg
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options
    aww... i want to post this as my facebook status but people will think i'm talking about my husband. LMAO
    [/quote]

I know thats why I didnt post it on mine either!!! Cant manbash the good ones!!! And thank the universe there are still a ton of good men out there!
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I could write a 10 page essay on what is wrong with what a man who loves you has said to you, but I will spare everyone the rant, and just say this: You are 18 years old. Maybe this is your first love. This is probably not the man for you, and one day you will find someone wonderful who will learn to love and support you through an eating/exercise/body-image disorder. Your boyfriend is young, and probably didn't mean to hurt or affect you as negatively as he did. Maybe he will change. There is a learning curve in dealing with people who have eating disorders. They are touchy subjects, and my god can it ever be difficult to "say the right thing" all the time when you don't know what might trigger someone. However, your boyfriend is saying things that are damaging and hurtful.

I have had an eating disorder for the past 10 years, and I have grown really damn tired of waiting for some guy to learn to stop saying things like, "Well why didn't you go to the gym today when you said you did?" when I haven't left the house all day, or "Wow you can eat a lot!" in public at a restaurant, or "I thought you said you wanted to lose 10 pounds..." while I'm snacking. On the flipside of that, I have dated guys who have tried to encourage me to eat poorly and gain weight, because they worried I was too thin. There are definitely helpful comments about weight/diet/exercise that can be made, but I would apply this more to women who have asked for helpful, supportive reminders from their partner, not unsolicited negative comments.

If you are going away to university in a month and you just want to have one fun month with this guy and then go off to university, then I say DO IT. Have a blast. Don't let his negativity cloud your progress. Have fun, enjoy the summer, and give yourself a fresh start in the fall. New school, new life, new loves. You're young and beautiful and you can do this.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Youre filtering his silly happy go lucky comments into your negative perception.

you cannot fault him for your skewed vision of whats happening, as you are recovering from an ED and he isnt. He is acting like boys always do.

FYI for the rest of your life - your boyfriend and you are supposed to tease each other. if you cant take it, and you cant give it, and you cant play back and forth over breakfast - youre missing out and should try to breathe and instead of responding with self-deprecating comments about yourself - TEASE HIM BACK.

Oh you just needed every last little bit huh?
    yeah, well, if im not satisfied in bed, i might as well get as much as i can out of breakfast ;)
  • MandyJaneRose
    MandyJaneRose Posts: 29 Member
    Options

^^ And you, m'lady, are awesome.
  • gkflowe
    gkflowe Posts: 2
    Options
    Where ever you are going, contact the local health department, they will have places to help at no cost to low cost. Find an online support group. As a single mom and have dealt with ED, boyfriends who say and do absurd things, you need to surround yourself with those who know what you are going through.

I wish you the best in college, and keep in contact with your MFP friends.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Next time you guys are done having sex say " really thats all today? you used to do so much more"
    That should shut him up
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options

^^ And you, m'lady, are awesome.

Thank you and so are you :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    question though, why is it up to the man to show the woman more respect than she shows herself?

i know the OP is young but more mothers need to teach their daughters that respect isnt something they are automatically OWED by virtue of having lady parts.

why are we now teaching our daughters that it's up to men give them respect yet the girls have no personal accountability for first and foremost respecting herself?
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    I disagree. I don't think he means for it to come out quite like it is. Perhaps he is being a little insensitive since you have had an ED in the past, but that's a guy for you.It's silly to spend to much time picking apart little comments.

Don't fret. Just keep doing what you're doing. You're beautiful. As long as he makes you feel that way, then don't let any doubts creep in and steal that from you.

I agree with this comment. My husband does things like that too, but I don't think he thinks about my past when I "restricted". I've notice that most people with an ed will overanalyze when comments are made like that. I still struggle with this. Guys definitely don't think the same as women. :P
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    question though, why is it up to the man to show the woman more respect than she shows herself?

i know the OP is young but more mothers need to teach their daughters that respect isnt something they are automatically OWED by virtue of having lady parts.

why are we now teaching our daughters that it's up to men give them respect yet the girls have no personal accountability for first and foremost respecting herself?

So, basically, he can say and do anything to her because she has an ED? And she should just put up with it?
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Next time you guys are done having sex say " really thats all today? you used to do so much more"
    That should shut him up

:laugh:
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I accepted :)

Well I hope things work out for the best! Maybe instead of straight up talking about your ed issues you could just explain to him that it's bothering you. Not in a confrontational way, but in a "hey I just want you to know that what you're saying is kind of hurting me" kind of way. Maybe he'll get it then :)