Religon & fitness?

Options
nothing1994
nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
Just getting opinions on this matter...

Do you think its "fair" (or whatever word you want to use) for people to add others based on religion? Seeing as how this is a FITNESS & NUTRITION site, what do you think!

Ok, just so i don't get attacked... I did NOT say i was against it! I was just wondering how others felt about it!

Dear Posters,

Please note that certain topics that were formerly off-limits in the public forums are now permitted to remain on the boards, though we strongly recommend utilizing the new Group feature if you are concerned about unwanted commentary on your topic. The moderators will do our best to enforce civil conversation in this thread, and we expect all participants in this thread to abide by the guidelines which you can review in their entirety here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Posts made to publicize existing Groups are allowed in ALL cases on the Public Forums.

Please DO NOT report a post that is advertising a group, or that is proceeding politely and without incident.

If you start a new topic on the Public Forums, please use the following guideline as a filter:

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

At our discretion, this thread may be locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,
Scott
MyFitnessPal Staff

Replies

• PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    You mean Catholics adding Catholic, Muslims adding Muslim, stuff like that? I dont see a problem lol I mean it gives you more common ground than just exercising...
  • nothing1994
    Options
    You mean Catholics adding Catholic, Muslims adding Muslim, stuff like that? I dont see a problem lol I mean it gives you more common ground than just exercising...

Yes i did.

I did not say i was against it by the way, was just asking for opinions. Just to make that clear lol
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think that if a person adds someone to their FL due to religion then there is nothing wrong with that. People with deep faith roots will support each other just as others with other similarities will do the same. Just sayin
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think people should be able to add whoever they want based on whatever criteria they choose. It is a fitness and nutrition site but the site does not require you to add friends. I see nothing wrong with choosing friends you have something common with, whatever that may be.
    It isn't kindergarten, we don't have to play with everyone else.

For the record, I am not religious so that is not my basis for arguing against it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't see it as a big deal. For many people this is more than just a health tool. It's a social network. I know people that only have friends of the same gender... Some of the same religion... Some from the same region of the world. It's just a common thread that brings people together.

Edited for clarity.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I add people who sound interesting and if I think we have something in common. That might be that we live in the same area, are a similar age, love to run etc.
    I'm not a religious person but if I was, I'm sure I'd be looking out for people who shared my values and beliefs.

People add whoever they want for their own reasons, it doesn't matter what they are.

One of the rules of this site though, is that controversial topics (religion, politics etc) aren't discussed in the main forums. Usually when I see the "looking for "x" friends" I'll see that someone directs that person to the groups section where it is easy to find people with similar interests, and which is a more appropriate place for discussions along specific lines that don't apply to everybody.

Edited to add: I'm curious to know why this bothers you enough to start a thread? You say "i'm just interested" but clearly you have some particular reason for asking.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Life isn't fair and neither is the internet. People can do whatever they want, cause it's their journey/choice/yaddayaddayadda/hookers/cocaine.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    People naturally gravitate towards others with common interests, goals, outlooks, politics, and yes, religion. "Fair" has nothing to do with it.

Adding to that, since this is a fitness and nutrition-based site, some here collect "eye candy" as friends and there's no shortage of people willing to oblige.

I guess I don't understand the point of the question.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is about fair or not fair. I choose people friends on MFP based on what we have in common and how we get along. This is how I choose friends in person. The beauty of this is that you get to choose. I love having other christian friends but I don't choose to decline a friend request just b/c someone is religious.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I usually only add female friends with common goals. Its just what I'm comfortable with. But religion doesn't matter on this site. I can understand though. You don't want to feel awkward saying "I'll pray for you." if that person is not of the same faith or is not of any faith. It can cut down on confusion and being unintentionally offensive.
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal for me, but I was a little thrown when I joined and people seem to use this as a dating site and for rating each other..I ignore a good 95% of posts because I don't want someone telling me how bad I look or how fat I am.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    ibtl.gif
  • nothing1994
    Options
    Once again,

I did NOT say i don't think people should do that

I was just seeing what other people on this website think!

Jeez, im sorry :/
  • morganmay92
    Options
    Eh I don't do that considering I'm atheist.

but hey, if they want to thats all them, I usually add people that seem good motivators.
    it's not about religion...its about getting healthy and staying that way no matter what beliefs any other has, in my opinion.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I think that we naturally gravitate toward people who are similar too us. That's just a fact of life. And as far as religion is concerned, people probably just want to be able to have a decent conversation with their friends and not have to filter through foul or inappropriate comments.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Fair. Especially for sharing food diaries, schedules, etc. Locking can begin....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Once again,

And once again... why does it even matter? I'm curious to know what bothers you so much about it?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Once again,

Nope, you just wanted to stir a little.....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Once again,

I am not bothered whether you think that or not. But, whether you realize it or not, the way you worded the question seems to imply how you feel.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly ok for anyone to add anyone for ANY reason. If you wanted only friends with webbed toes, that's your prerogative.