Religon & fitness?

Options

Replies

• LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it's dumb. We're on here to lose weight, not to talk about the adventures of Jesus and friends.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Good point OP. People who share beliefs adding each other doesn't bother me one way or the other - people will do as they please.

It's when people add me on the basis of fitness and nutrition and then start saying they'll 'pray for me' or that God is with me or some such stuff that I categorically don't believe in that I get irate. Just as much as religious should be respected, so should those who opt out of religion.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a lot of this going on, but I have checked for any groups set up for my faith, and watched for any others who are obviously of my faith. So far I haven't added anyone based on it. But my religion affects:

- some of my dietary choices
    - my chosen lifestyle
    - religious fast days
    - not working out on the Sabbath

And of course certain shared values, challenges in "feast" environments, social issues, etc.

This is the perfect answer.
    Love, an agnostic.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Just getting opinions on this matter...

Do you think its "fair" (or whatever word you want to use) for people to add others based on religion? Seeing as how this is a FITNESS & NUTRITION site, what do you think!

Ok, just so i don't get attacked... I did NOT say i was against it! I was just wondering how others felt about it!

I'm not religious at all but I think its fair. People like to be around others that have common interest since those people are going to be the ones who might understand them better.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lots of my MFP friends are returned Peace Corps Volunteers. It is something we have in common. It is kind of like a religion, it is a shared experience and belief structure.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care what my friends religions are.. if they decide to throw it in my face and I don't like it - I'll delete. Now, if someone wouldn't add me because of a certain religion bias, then they probably weren't worth being my support system anyway. I don't announce my religion on MFP because I personally don't think it matters to my weight loss - but it does to some, and if they need people of their own belief system to support them, more power to them.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Jesus did NOT pick people for friends that were "christians" so I think it is rather silly of people to think that way but some do. I think many so-called christian churches and groups are all screwed up and give Jesus and the bible a bad name. If I am trying to spread the love of Jesus I better act like He did because if a person isn't, they can hardly be called a follower of Christ.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tend to not add people that are overly sensitive and too serious... I cuss like a sailor, I cut up a lot and I speak my mind always. So I have to avoid a lot of people on this site... lot's of crying and whining around here.. I don't click with too many overly religious people. So if you are hooked on the Jesus juice.... good for you. I don't want any....
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    LOL!! Amen!!
    I only add heathens. How else am I going to convert them!?!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    WTF does "fair" mean with regard to people choosing their friends? Why would you want a friend that didn't like you because of your religion or lack thereof?

Why are you so defensive? I didnt know what word to use hence i said "or whatever word"

LOL I'm not defensive- it's just ludicrous to judge anyone's reasons for friending or not friending someone. It's a personal choice! When you are friends with someone, you get a stream of feeds about whatever they choose to post- if you don't want a feed in to someone's life that's your prerogative. I don't understand why people get their panties in a twist over other people's friends on here- there are PLENTY of people on here and everyone can find a group of people to suit their own needs. Say someone friended you out of obligation and then was constantly annoyed by your feed- why would you want that person as a friend? They're not going to be a good friend to you.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    To each his own. Everyone has their own personal preference, and this is no rule saying you have to accept everyone. Some people want only black friends, some only white, some only female, some only male, some only around the same age... you get the jist. It's no different.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly fine to accept friends based on religion. People shouldn't side aside their faith just because they join a fitness site and if they choose to limit their friends for whatever reason that's their perogative.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    its fair. people are free to add others for whatever they please, as well as not yo add for whatever
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You don't get out enough, LOL, when religion, specifically christianity comes up, it attracts people like flies to dung(thats bible talk for crap)whether they are fer it or ag'in it;)
    i am SHOCKED that this made it to three pages already.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am a Christian who has added other Christian friends and other Christians have added me. There is nothing wrong w/ adding people based on interests other than fitness.
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    This sure is a interesting web site. All the different things going on & questions asked. Being used as a dating site? Who would of guess. I am a Christian & I think people should decide for themselves who they want as friends. I know I have 1 friend on this site. A neighbor who was a kid 30 yrs. ago when we met. I have mentored him down thru the years. He has turned into a fine man. I am friendly I just do not have a friends list.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You're right that it is fair or ok with Mfp and me as well. I got off-track or on my soap-box. It's just that many "christians" seem to forget Who it is they are supposed to be following.:drinker: :drinker:
    its fair. people are free to add others for whatever they please, as well as not yo add for whatever
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    Just getting opinions on this matter...

Do you think its "fair" (or whatever word you want to use) for people to add others based on religion? Seeing as how this is a FITNESS & NUTRITION site, what do you think!

Ok, just so i don't get attacked... I did NOT say i was against it! I was just wondering how others felt about it!

Hmmm, why are you curious about this? :) are you religious yourself?
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with making friends based on religion. The only problem is that what the religion makes them believe is not real so they are friends for an imaginary purpose.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    of course its fair...women add women....football fans add football fans.

why do you care?