Religon & fitness?

Options
1235»

Replies

• nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    of course its fair...women add women....football fans add football fans.

why do you care?

I was asking for peoples opinions, just like there are other threads asking people's opinions on different things. no need to be so rude.
  • nothing1994
    Options
    Just getting opinions on this matter...

Do you think its "fair" (or whatever word you want to use) for people to add others based on religion? Seeing as how this is a FITNESS & NUTRITION site, what do you think!

Ok, just so i don't get attacked... I did NOT say i was against it! I was just wondering how others felt about it!

Hmmm, why are you curious about this? :) are you religious yourself?

im curious about lots of things! But as you can see, i cant ever ask because this is the result. Well, i didn't know that before. Now i do.
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it might be easier to add people of the same faith, especially if they have special dietary restrictions. They can help each other with those restrictions and come up with better ways of becoming healthy while maintaining their beliefs.

I think everyone on here has the option of determining who they want their MF pals to be, and if they want to restrict it to specific people with a certain religion, they have that choice. However, I think they're excluding a lot of people that have good advice, ideas, and are just as dedicated to their weight loss as they are.

And as a side note, I'm an agnostic theist, and I do have friends on here that are very obviously Christian. ^^
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How is that different from people adding others who are from their geographic region, or the same sex, or only the opposite sex, or are runners only, or are weight lifters only.. or whatever else they seek here?
  • nothing1994
    Options
    How is that different from people adding others who are from their geographic region, or the same sex, or only the opposite sex, or are runners only, or are weight lifters only.. or whatever else they seek here?

I agree :)
  • nothing1994
    Options
    Sometimes it might be easier to add people of the same faith, especially if they have special dietary restrictions. They can help each other with those restrictions and come up with better ways of becoming healthy while maintaining their beliefs.

I think everyone on here has the option of determining who they want their MF pals to be, and if they want to restrict it to specific people with a certain religion, they have that choice. However, I think they're excluding a lot of people that have good advice, ideas, and are just as dedicated to their weight loss as they are.

And as a side note, I'm an agnostic theist, and I do have friends on here that are very obviously Christian. ^^

Yes , i agree with you :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    OP- I'm writing this without any intentional snark, I think you're being too sensitive. The overwhelming response to your question has been either "Yes its fair because people befriend others of similar interest" or "why do you care its non of your beeswax". If you consider the responses in this thread rude, you may be better suited to finding friends in the groups, which are developed for like minded individuals to find and support one another. I don't think the responses here have been particularly rude, but I also don't care if people that don't like me don't want to be my friend. The forums can be harsh, I guess- but the internet and people in general are harsh.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I will take friends from all over but I make it clear in my profile I am a Christian and I like having other Christians for support.
  • nothing1994
    Options
    OP- I'm writing this without any intentional snark, I think you're being too sensitive. The overwhelming response to your question has been either "Yes its fair because people befriend others of similar interest" or "why do you care its non of your beeswax". If you consider the responses in this thread rude, you may be better suited to finding friends in the groups, which are developed for like minded individuals to find and support one another. I don't think the responses here have been particularly rude, but I also don't care if people that don't like me don't want to be my friend. The forums can be harsh, I guess- but the internet and people in general are harsh.

I dont know, I mean there was comments on how i was trying to start drama... like seriously, lol. Maybe your right though :) Thank you for letting me know, i honestly appreciate it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I dont know, I mean there was comments on how i was trying to start drama... like seriously, lol. Maybe your right though :) Thank you for letting me know, i honestly appreciate it!

There's always a few a-holes that you have to ignore, ALWAYS.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I only add awesome people. Regardless of religion. Although, for some religious people, I may be a bit too much, you have to be able to put up with my wacky antics to make it as my friend. Otherwise, I will probably offend you.
  • MrAllia
    MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We all have the same goal here, and that is to lose weight/get in shape; even though, I can see people posting their religious beliefs while just chit-chatting about their weight struggles and motivation. For example: "Jesus has seen me through another day of not eating a whole bag of chips, yay!" or "Allah has blessed me today, I had time to make it to the gym" sometimes this can cause a little bit of tension. People usually want to avoid that type of tension thus not adding people of other religions. Personally, it wouldn't bother me to see comment such as, "I think I saw Budda while doing my Yoga class today." What does concern me is excessive cursing but that's another tread entirely.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly normal for people to want to associate with people who share their beliefs, but I also think it's important to consider others who may or may not share the same religious beliefs. Some of my best friends here are very different politically and religiously, and it's nice to have a broader perspective on life sometimes.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Fair? Sure it's fair. Why would like-minded people not want to associate themselves? It's only a problem when it becomes divisive... and in an offensive way, with name calling & belittling involved.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    It's fair. There are no rules to friendship in real life - you click with some people more than you do others...but for some people, it may be easier as far as introducing themselves or finding a quick common ground.

I am a Christian, and my faith is important and it is a part of this whole process for me. That being said, I love people of all backgrounds and beliefs and it doesn't matter to me if someone isn't "just like me." I am NOT judgemental and I appreciate support and encouragement from anyone who is willing to give it to me! :smile: On the flip side, though...I would hate it if I had to worry about writing a status update or comment that would make someone uncomfortable or "offend" someone. It is just part of who I am. I don't go over the top ( I will not shove my faith down your throat, but if asked I will gladly talk about it!) but I'm also not going to be someone I'm not. I would rather be upfront about it, so that if someone is not comfortable with me mentioning my faith occasionally, then I'd rather them not be my "friend." I'll accept and respect anyone who wants to friend me, and I expect the same in return.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    i don't think that having an issue here because of religion should be a big deal especially when our main concern is the nutrition and health and fitness which every person should have and entitled with to have http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Provides more support for that person in more ways than just one and they share certain values and therefore don't have to see statuses of certain natures that they would prefer not being in their feed. As long as they aren't being rude about it. If somebody only wants religious friends, then there is nothing wrong with that if it helps them succeed in their fitness and personal goals. :) Thats what this site is about afterall and some people need a different kind of support system.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Fair?

Do you mean acceptable instead of fair?

Sure it's fair. Everyone has an equal opportunity to add/delete whom they choose. If you are a non-Christian, you have the same rights and privileges on MFP as those who are Christian. Therefore, FAIR!

Is it acceptable? To each his/her own. Some people will look down upon it, others won't care and others will jump for joy to find other Christians amongst their midst. Doesn't bother me in the least!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are motivated by religion, and that's ok.

I don't have a religion, and I rarely feel left out. If I am left out of a conversation based on that, I didn't belong there to begin with. I don't mind religious discussions on the internet. As long as I am still allowed to work and vote, I am happy.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    People add friends who are also 'young moms with pregnancy weight" or who have simillar health issues.. or who are allso Runners or Bikers.. so why not add firends on the similarity of religion? Support in Similarity is helpful to many- no matter what the similarity.

If they refuse to add anyone who isn't their religion, that's kinda not good, I guess. But still- who cares what people others decide to add. That's their choice and I don't really care enough to have an opinion.