Eat Prior to Workout? Protein Shakes? Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Shoot for 1g protein per lb of lean body mass; and .35g of fat per lb of body weight. Fill in the rest however you want. Use whatever meal frequency you feel best with. Don't worry about pre-workout or post workout nutrition. That's it.
    This. Meal frequency and nutrient timing is 100% personal preference.

THE LAWS OF NUTRIENT TIMING
    The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    -Alan Aragon

Tiger, I agree with you, but post-workout nutrition is very important. The 1-hour window has been proven to death at this point, and eating with 20 minutes of finishing is even better. Some carbs and some protein; the carbs help the body metabolize the protein.

Obviously, if you're not eating well, or you have a post workout meal and then eat crap the rest of the day, or don't eat at all the rest of the day, you're not helping yourself. But eating right after a hard workout is definitely an important aspect of nutrition.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up at 5:30 to workout and don't normally eat beforehand...but maybe I should. I think I will try a tbsp of peanut butter or something to get me going. Usually afterward I make a home-made shake with Isopure protein powder. It's a little pricey, but has a lot of protein, zero fat and not high on cals. I mix with FF milk, ice, Splenda, a banana and a little peanut butter.

Hi butterfli! Yes, I feel the same way - I feel like I *should* be eating something so it's good to read your comments also.......I'm also doing a post-workout high protein shake which I LOVE! :smile: Thanks for your recipe - sounds YUMMY!!

There was a study that showed that runners who swished a glucose solution around in their mouths and then spit it out were able to run as far/strong/fast/etc. as runners who actually took in carbs prior to the run. Apparently, there's a mechanism that's triggered just by having the carbs in your mouth.

You don't need to eat before you workout, but what the heck, you can if you want.

If you're going to eat before you workout, really, anything other than carbs doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. PB, for example, will just sit in your stomach. What does that do for you? But you can argue that carbs will give you an energy boost.
    Well, for those concerned with nutrient timing (I'm not one of them,) eating a protein before working out means that the protein will be available for use right after the workout, rather than eating it afterward, and then having to wait for your body to process it.

Personally, I hit my numbers for the day with absolutely no regard for when I work out.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I usually wake up at 5:30 to workout and don't normally eat beforehand...but maybe I should. I think I will try a tbsp of peanut butter or something to get me going. Usually afterward I make a home-made shake with Isopure protein powder. It's a little pricey, but has a lot of protein, zero fat and not high on cals. I mix with FF milk, ice, Splenda, a banana and a little peanut butter.

Hi butterfli! Yes, I feel the same way - I feel like I *should* be eating something so it's good to read your comments also.......I'm also doing a post-workout high protein shake which I LOVE! :smile: Thanks for your recipe - sounds YUMMY!!

There was a study that showed that runners who swished a glucose solution around in their mouths and then spit it out were able to run as far/strong/fast/etc. as runners who actually took in carbs prior to the run. Apparently, there's a mechanism that's triggered just by having the carbs in your mouth.

You don't need to eat before you workout, but what the heck, you can if you want.

If you're going to eat before you workout, really, anything other than carbs doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. PB, for example, will just sit in your stomach. What does that do for you? But you can argue that carbs will give you an energy boost.
    Well, for those concerned with nutrient timing (I'm not one of them,) eating a protein before working out means that the protein will be available for use right after the workout, rather than eating it afterward, and then having to wait for your body to process it.

Personally, I hit my numbers for the day with absolutely no regard for when I work out.

Yeah, it would be great if it worked that way, but how many people can drop 40 grams of protein and 80 grams of carbs and then go for a 5 mile run? Or get up at 4:30 so you can eat and then sit around for an hour so you can then start your work out?

I think pre-workout nutrient timing is BS, but post is valid.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Tiger, I agree with you, but post-workout nutrition is very important. The 1-hour window has been proven to death at this point, and eating with 20 minutes of finishing is even better. Some carbs and some protein; the carbs help the body metabolize the protein.

O RLY? I confess that I used to go around believing this and even preaching it. My physique and strength have improved leaps and bounds since those days though. There might be some minuscule advantage to eat right after a work out, but it's so minuscule as to be insignificant - especially to people who are new to all this. The anabolic window is really more like 24 hours, not 1 hour.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is MUCH more than a protein shake...I actually mix 3/4 scoop of egg white protein powder into my Shakeology, which works great with the chocolate egg white protein and Chocolate Vegan shakeology but i'm wondering how strawberry egg white protein would mix with Tropical Strawberry Vegan Shakeology lol. I'm allergic to whey in case you're wondering why I don't use whey. Anyway, Shakeology has some carbs that would give you energy for your workout or to be used as breakfast post workout and a good shot of 15-17g or protein, depending on the flavor. But Shakeology is also a complete day's worth of veggies and contains many superfoods not readily available to us and has also helped me immensely with energy and my immune system (I'm a germ mobile driver, school bus lol) and also with my IBS symptoms so to me it's much more than just a protein powder. It's been my experience with GNC that they like to pump their "health" food full of artificial flavors and crap, although I don't know about the specific stuff you're drinking. Shakeology has nothing artificial whatsoever in it and no refined sugars either. I use Healthy n Fit naturals egg white protein powder, which also is sweetened with Stevia and has no artificial anything in it! Hope that helps!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Shoot for 1g protein per lb of lean body mass; and .35g of fat per lb of body weight. Fill in the rest however you want. Use whatever meal frequency you feel best with. Don't worry about pre-workout or post workout nutrition. That's it.

The first law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The second law of nutrient timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    -Alan Aragon

Obviously, if you're not eating well, or you have a post workout meal and then eat crap the rest of the day, or don't eat at all the rest of the day, you're not helping yourself. But eating right after a hard workout is definitely an important aspect of nutrition.

From Alan Aragon:
    When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or athletic performance, it’s crucial to realize there’s an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy of effects is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Below that — and I mean distantly below that — is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions (i.e., the intermittent fasting crowd), athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day, to the tune of at least four meals. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there’s a constant overlap of meal digestion and nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision. -Alan Aragon, Alan Aragon’s Research Review, January 2008
    The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204
  • bootstrap7
    bootstrap7 Posts: 26
    Options
    If you care about how well you perform in your workout (intensity & endurance), then you should have some protein and some carbs in the morning before working out. I also have a hard time eating in the morning, so I do a smoothie with whey protein, lowfat yogurt, frozen berries, and unsweetened soy milk. That gives me a nice protein/carb combo (packed with nutrients) that feuls my workout. It's easy to down in the mornings since it's not solid food, and I can go straight into a workout afterwords without worrying about digestion. (I often drink it on my way to the gym.)

BTW: My current workouts include heavy weight-lifting and a solid block of cardio (swimming, biking, and/or running).
  • peppapig24_
    Options
    Always eat before a workout! Try 35-50g dried apricots. They are light but provide you with enough energy to get through an intense early morning workout! (I use them!)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

O RLY? I confess that I used to go around believing this and even preaching it. My physique and strength have improved leaps and bounds since those days though. There might be some minuscule advantage to eat right after a work out, but it's so minuscule as to be insignificant - especially to people who are new to all this. The anabolic window is really more like 24 hours, not 1 hour.

Sorry, sounds like you're actually saying that eating within an hour of your workout was actually holding you back? And you suddenly exploded into success when you started waiting 24 hours?
  • tigersword
    Options

Sorry, sounds like you're actually saying that eating within an hour of your workout was actually holding you back? And you suddenly exploded into success when you started waiting 24 hours?
    No, just the fact that the post exercise anabolic window is 24 hours long, not 1 hour long. If you work out right after lunch, but don't eat until dinner, it will not be any different than working out after lunch and eating right after working out, keeping macros and calories constant.
  • taso42
    Options

No, it wasn't holding me back. It was just an unnecessary constraint to worry about. I don't wait 24 hours. I eat all the time. I just make sure that at the end of the day my numbers look good, as many days as possible, and don't spend a single moment worrying about optimum meal timing or anything of the sort.

If one was going to worry about making something optimal, I would apply that energy into making sure training is optimal.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

-Alan Aragon

From Alan Aragon:
    When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or athletic performance, it’s crucial to realize there’s an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy of effects is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Below that — and I mean distantly below that — is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions (i.e., the intermittent fasting crowd), athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day, to the tune of at least four meals. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there’s a constant overlap of meal digestion and nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision. -Alan Aragon, Alan Aragon’s Research Review, January 2008
    The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

I can't figure out how to insert my stuff inside all that already quoted stuff, sorry.

1. Your first Alan Aragon quote seems to focus on pre- and intra-workout nutrition, not post-workout nutrition.
    2. The second quote specifically addresses post workout nutrition in the context of someone who has had pre-workout nutrition.
    3. I have a lot of respect for Alan Aragon (because I'm not an idiot), the big argument seems to be that, well hell, you're going to eventually eat at some point, so what's the big deal. But I can tell you that, when I wake up after not having eaten for about 10 hours, and then I workout like a crazy person, I'm personally pretty hungry. If I don't eat pretty quickly, I start to feel like crap within about half an hour.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

No, it wasn't holding me back. It was just an unnecessary constraint to worry about. I don't wait 24 hours. I eat all the time. I just make sure that at the end of the day my numbers look good, as many days as possible, and don't spend a single moment worrying about optimum meal timing or anything of the sort.

If one was going to worry about making something optimal, I would apply that energy into making sure training is optimal.

How is eating after a workout a constraint?
  • taso42
    Options

Suppose you just finished your last set, and are reaching for the protein shaker when you friends text you and say, "hey, dinner at 8?". But it's only 6 o'clock. Back in the day, I would think, "oh crap, this is totally gonna screw up my meal timing! what should i do? eat now and just drink water later? or wait till dinner, and risk missing my window". This whole little mental struggle, as stupid as it is, can be completely avoided, when one lets go of the stupid 1-hr anabolic window nonsense.
  • peppapig24_
    Options
    You should eat before, eat something as soon as you can after (carbs and protein), and then eat again within 3 hours of that second breakfast - 2 rice cakes and cottage cheese, or piece of fruit / nuts, etc.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I definitely respect Alan Aragon, but I also respect this guy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-growth-and-pos-workout-nutrition.html
    Which leads us towards an ideal of post-workout nutrition. First and foremost I should point out that if you train and don’t eat anything afterwards (and this assumes you haven’t eaten a few hours before), the body will actually remain in a net catabolic state. That is, protein breakdown will be greater than protein synthesis. That’s bad. But only really applies if you’re training first thing in the morning after a fast (how many studies are done) and haven’t eaten anything.

But let’s assume that you eat something following training. Should it be protein, carbs, both, or some other combination? First let’s look at the single feeding studies. That is, let’s say that you could only choose one or the other following training, which should you choose. The answer there is clearly protein alone which will be vastly superior to carbohydrate alone. Because while consuming carbohydrates will decrease protein breakdown, only protein will increase protein synthesis (and provide the building blocks for building new muscle).

And this is also where a rather silly idea has come from in the post-workout recommendations. Folks will often state that “You only need protein post-workout because carbs don’t effect protein synthesis.” This is true but ignores the impact of decreasing protein breakdown on net protein gain.

Certainly increasing protein synthesis appears to be relatively more important than decreasing protein breakdown but the simple fact is that you get the biggest overall effect if you target both at the same time. Which means a combination of protein and carbohydrates.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

Suppose you just finished your last set, and are reaching for the protein shaker when you friends text you and say, "hey, dinner at 8?". But it's only 6 o'clock. Back in the day, I would think, "oh crap, this is totally gonna screw up my meal timing! what should i do? eat now and just drink water later? or wait till dinner, and risk missing my window". This whole little mental struggle, as stupid as it is, can be completely avoided, when one lets go of the stupid 1-hr anabolic window nonsense.

Dude, that is a seriously sill example...
  • taso42
    Options
    You should eat before, eat something as soon as you can after (carbs and protein), and then eat again within 3 hours of that second breakfast - 2 rice cakes and cottage cheese, or piece of fruit / nuts, etc.

see? this poor guy goes through all this trouble to get the timing just right. how is that NOT a constraint?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I definitely respect Alan Aragon, but I also respect this guy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-growth-and-pos-workout-nutrition.html
    Which leads us towards an ideal of post-workout nutrition. First and foremost I should point out that if you train and don’t eat anything afterwards (and this assumes you haven’t eaten a few hours before), the body will actually remain in a net catabolic state. That is, protein breakdown will be greater than protein synthesis. That’s bad. But only really applies if you’re training first thing in the morning after a fast (how many studies are done) and haven’t eaten anything.

But let’s assume that you eat something following training. Should it be protein, carbs, both, or some other combination? First let’s look at the single feeding studies. That is, let’s say that you could only choose one or the other following training, which should you choose. The answer there is clearly protein alone which will be vastly superior to carbohydrate alone. Because while consuming carbohydrates will decrease protein breakdown, only protein will increase protein synthesis (and provide the building blocks for building new muscle).

And this is also where a rather silly idea has come from in the post-workout recommendations. Folks will often state that “You only need protein post-workout because carbs don’t effect protein synthesis.” This is true but ignores the impact of decreasing protein breakdown on net protein gain.

Certainly increasing protein synthesis appears to be relatively more important than decreasing protein breakdown but the simple fact is that you get the biggest overall effect if you target both at the same time. Which means a combination of protein and carbohydrates.

Also not a lightweight:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm
  • taso42
    Options
    Dude, that is a seriously sill example...

You're right. The correct answer would be to disassociate myself from anybody rude enough to invite me out to dinner. If anything gets in the way of post workout feeding, it is wrong and should be completely eliminated. One should structure their lives such that the 1-hr (or better yet 20 minute) anabolic window is never missed, for to miss it is just like wasting the whole workout.