Replies

• ThatsNotMine
    ThatsNotMine Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    oh hell yeah, you guys know...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about a procedure in Korea to reduce the calf muscle so women's legs look thinner. It made me so sad. My daughter (adopted from Korea) is so beautiful and will likely be fairly tiny by American standards, but she's also got a butt and hips (at only 7!) so I expect others in Korea would view her as 'fat'. I do my best to teach my kids that healthy is what we strive for, not skinny, but she has asked me if her belly is fat. *sigh* The good thing is that she is the type of person that just stops eating when she's full. Unlike my oldest son.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You are doing right by her.
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm so happy to find this thread! Solidarity to thick Asians!

I've been overweight pretty much all my life, at least post-puberty. Always the fattest Asian in the group. Honestly, growing up, living amongst certain people, I was never able to have many Asian friends because they disparage my weight.

Now that I'm living in Asia again, people are NOT secretive about what they think about me. Locals think I can't understand them, so they always comment about my weight with a lot of disgust. I know that sometimes people point out fatness in a matter-of-fact way, but this isn't a case of misunderstanding cultural difference. I understand EXACTLY what they're saying, I just pretend not to speak the language.

I've had people actively, physically avoid me as if I'm diseased. It's pretty disheartening. The particular Asian country I'm in views fatness as lacking in self-control, lacking morals, and being indulgent. It's really messed up.

I'm trying hard to be healthy and be okay with myself, though. Truth is, based on my diet and activity level, I'm way healthier than a lot of folks here. I'm just fat.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite thread. So much better than that "No Mayo" thread.

Tomorrow, I leave for my family reunion / cousin's wedding. I was always the big relative during my childhood and adolescence. My older relatives *always* love to tell stories of me never wanting some Asian delicacy because I wanted a Big Mac instead. Oh, my sides are splitting from all the laughter!

Although I started losing a lot of the weight 15 years ago (with some ups and downs along the way), I still think they view me as that fat kid.

Last year, I attended a family reunion and I saw relatives I have not seen before in a long time.

They all now think I am scarily skinny and keep wanting to feed me. On the day of my cousin's wedding, we will be having dim sum in the morning and then the normal 50 million course Chinese reception. I mean, COME ON!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    What is more appalling to me are Asians trying to "lighten" their skin. When I was in the Philippines a couple of years ago and went to the main studio where they record popular shows, I couldn't believe how "white" the Asians on the show were. And it's prevalent in all Asian shows now. They actually ingest pills or use injections or creams to do this.

Ironic really because they are trying to be more "American like", but here in America we're all trying to get tanner.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    LOL so f****ngly TRUE. I know there are exceptions but a lot of Asians paricularly those in the South East area are so obssessed with skin lightening. Being a brown-skinned Mestiza (half-Caucasian), I always get comments from a lot of people especially women that "You have beautiful eyes & nice features but you would be more attractive if you lighten up your skin a bit", OUCH!! I love my tanned skin & proud to be a brown so being called like that is like a slap on my face.

Actually 90% of Filipino actors that you see in Philippine shows are half-Caucasians & those with more native features are mostly casted as maids, laborers or comedians. While some who are full-blooded Filos would do insane things like injecting some gluthatione or apply tons of whitening creams to lighten up their skin. Here the trend is the more Caucasian features you have, the more attractive you become. So sad but that's the reality.

EDIT: By the way this also applies in other Asian countries as well, not just in Philippines so I'm not just picking on Filos. Most Bollywood actors are also the same. Although I know that India is more diverse than any other Asian countries but still those Indian actors are by no means representing the majority of the population.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    What is more appalling to me are Asians trying to "lighten" their skin. When I was in the Philippines a couple of years ago and went to the main studio where they record popular shows, I couldn't believe how "white" the Asians on the show were. And it's prevalent in all Asian shows now. They actually ingest pills or use injections or creams to do this.

Ironic really because they are trying to be more "American like", but here in America we're all trying to get tanner.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    LOL so f****ngly TRUE. I know there are exceptions but a lot of Asians paricularly those in the South East area are so obssessed with skin lightening. Being a brown-skinned Mestiza (half-Caucasian), I always get comments from a lot of people especially women that "You have beautiful eyes & nice features but you would be more attractive if you lighten up your skin a bit", OUCH!! I love my tanned skin & proud to be a brown so being called like that is like a slap on my face.

Actually 90% of Filipino actors that you see in Philippine shows are half-Caucasians & those with more native features are mostly casted as maids, laborers or comedians. While some who are full-blooded Flips would do insane things like injecting some gluthatione or apply tons of whitening creams to lighten up their skin. Here the trend is the more Caucasian features you have, the more attractive you become. So sad but that's the reality.

I'm FIlipino and I know exactly what you're talking about! I think it's actually a cultural thing though. Those who are tan generally were laborers, while those who are pale aren't ever in the sun. From what I remember, those who are pale were considered beautiful and wealthy or something along those lines. Another bizarre thing is the Japanese have creams to make their nipples pink, and go through surgeries to make their eyes wider!
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I think it sucks being an Asian male in America. I've always been smaller than everyone else, including most of the women. So I always felt like everyone thought I was inferior due to my size. In fact, I'm average height for a Filipino...girl. Damn haha. Then there are all those other Asian stereotypes that I don't even need to touch for everyone to know what I'm talking about.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Actually 90% of Filipino actors that you see in Philippine shows are half-Caucasians & those with more native features are mostly casted as maids, laborers or comedians. While some who are full-blooded Flips would do insane things like injecting some gluthatione or apply tons of whitening creams to lighten up their skin. Here the trend is the more Caucasian features you have, the more attractive you become. So sad but that's the reality.

I'm FIlipino and I know exactly what you're talking about! I think it's actually a cultural thing though. Those who are tan generally were laborers, while those who are pale aren't ever in the sun. From what I remember, those who are pale were considered beautiful and wealthy or something along those lines. Another bizarre thing is the Japanese have creams to make their nipples pink, and go through surgeries to make their eyes wider!

HAHAHAHA! So true! If you're a dark-skinned Filipino, people liken you to a day laborer. It's crazy how the females go nuts trying to lighten their skin. I think it's just part of the Spanish colonialism mentality that still runs rampant there.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh - to address the topic :bigsmile: this is so funny.... I am a Filipina - I was born in the Philippines but moved out to the States at a very young age - pretty much grew up here. ALL of my family is super small. All of my relatives back in P.I. are still super small, and always have been. Growing up, I was the chubby girl. I still ate my Filipino comfort food, but was exposed to the junk and fast food of America. Back in the Philippines everyone is used to grazing all day, eating fresh home made food, not convenience food like fast food chains (even though this has changed a bit... a lot of western/American influence).

I was always teased for being chubby. I'm only 4'10" and at my heaviest was about 125-130 lbs (OBESE on my little frame). Filipinos and asians in general have no problem telling you you're overweight... it IS a cultural thing for asians to freely talk about that stuff. Whether you're asian or not, they will tell you you're a heiffer.

Anyhow, I haven't been that weight in forever ... I'm now at a "normal" pinay size of about 103 pounds. ("Normal" and "healthy" per American BMI standards... actually a little heavy for an asian :laugh: )

But I understand what you all mean... it's tough because we typically don't have much to lose but it's the hardest to come off.
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

HAHAHAHA! So true! If you're a dark-skinned Filipino, people liken you to a day laborer. It's crazy how the females go nuts trying to lighten their skin. I think it's just part of the Spanish colonialism mentality that still runs rampant there.

It's all about what the symbol represents.

Tan:
    West side = free from the office (vacay)
    East side = can't get an office job

White skin:
    West side = is this person social? Maybe a vampire, emo, or goth. Oh go out and get some sun!
    East side = Oh! This person might be descended from the Ayala's or colonial backwash with passed down wealth.

It all boils down to what represents privilege. Had the Chinese been greedy and unleashed their invention of gunpowder on the world, I think we'd all be Chinese now. And those guys bounded feet for about um, 1000 years. Pains o' beauty. No matter what there is going to be an ideal that people will want to attain. It's up to the individual to buy into the symbolism. I'd hate to see another vampire self tanner victim.

/soap box
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't think the Conquistadores had to do with that. It also happens in other Asian countries as well. My Dad's is Mexican descent & we know that Mexico was also invaded by Spain. His family are not that obsessed with that although I know that in Mexico, the ones who are rich & powerful are mostly the Whites while the more native looking ones are those who are living in poverty & a lot of them cross the US border illegally to find better opportunities to support their families. However I don't think Mexicans are that obsessed with skin whitening the way South East Asians are.
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Ironically, most Filipinos are dark hahaha. Sometimes people who aren't familiar with how Filipinos look mistaken us for Mexicans and whatnot. I've seen plenty of Mexicans who look like pale Asians ironically. It could be due to the Spanish, I'm not sure. All I know is that my mom hates going out in the sun because she wants to remain fair skinned. :P
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's all about what the symbol represents.

Tan:
    West side = free from the office (vacay)
    East side = can't get an office job

White skin:
    West side = is this person social? Maybe a vampire, emo, or goth. Oh go out and get some sun!
    East side = Oh! This person might be descended from the Ayala's or colonial backwash with passed down wealth.

It all boils down to what represents privilege. Had the Chinese been greedy and unleashed their invention of gunpowder on the world, I think we'd all be Chinese now. And those guys bounded feet for about um, 1000 years. Pains o' beauty. No matter what there is going to be an ideal that people will want to attain. It's up to the individual to buy into the symbolism. I'd hate to see another vampire self tanner victim.

/soap box

Good points good points.
    Options
    Ironically, most Filipinos are dark hahaha. Sometimes people who aren't familiar with how Filipinos look mistaken us for Mexicans and whatnot. I've seen plenty of Mexicans who look like pale Asians ironically. It could be due to the Spanish, I'm not sure. All I know is that my mom hates going out in the sun because she wants to remain fair skinned. :P
    Actually Mexicans are diverse. Mexicans range from Whites, Blacks, Asians, Natives & the Mestizos who make up the majority. My grandma & her siblings are pale White while her son (my Dad) is a dark-skinned Mestizo. However the majority of those who are living in the US are mostly of Native American descent so which is why in the American's eyes, Mexicans = dark skinned which isn't always true. Since Native Americans & Filipinos share common features so its no surprise that someone who isn't familiar with the two nationalities would mistake one for the other.

Ironically my Mom who is a Filipina & her family are all fair skinned but I don't think they got some Spanish in them both in features & their surname which is very much Filipino. Even my Filipino cousins are fairer than me but just like the rest, they're still distinguishable. They all look Chinese or Thai to me. I think I got my brown skin (actually most of my genes) from my Dad's side, weird especially that my Dad is 70% Spanish.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The ideal Asian woman is supposed to . . .

. . . have milky white skin.
    . . . weigh between 90 - 110 lbs, no matter what her height is.
    . . . being too tall is not good.
    . . . being too short isn't good either.
    . . . big eyes with double lids are a must, a tall, but small nose is good too.

Basically, doll-like is what the current ideal is aiming for. *sigh*

Yup . . .

I was always considered one of the skinnier children when I was little, but for an Asian child? I was fat, big-boned, etc. etc .____.;; My legs were always considered "fat," but at the same time, my parents and granny just fed me and fed me, and I grew into having bad habits >>. Freshmen year in college, I ballooned up to 130 lbs and I was living with my brother at the time, my mother actually yelled at him about how he was feeding me to get me so freaking fat ;<.

But at the same time, if I said I was going on a diet, my family would feed me even MORE, even if I was fat, it's a strange, hypocritical mentality. I think their minds are screwed up from the Vietnam War or something. Not to mention they're incredibly ignorant about health and such. At least home cooking tends to be healthy, a lot of sodium though, Viets need their fish sauce~
    Options
    Honestly, I find all asian women to be attractive.
    I'm half-Latina half-Asian, does that count? LOL
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I was always considered one of the skinnier children when I was little, but for an Asian child? I was fat, big-boned, etc. etc .____.;; My legs were always considered "fat," but at the same time, my parents and granny just fed me and fed me, and I grew into having bad habits >>.

Yeah! I remember growing up and going to family parties. "Eat eat eat!" they would say and once you're done they'd all be like, "Why are you so FAAAT?"

Uh, confusing...?

I swear the ideal to be provider (feed feed feed) and the ideal to be a desirable, marketable lady just crash in a sad sad mess. Sad mess. It's true there is a desirable ideal (doll-like, in this case). I'm chubby and I've been chastised for it leaving me confused because the people who were chastising me were the SOURCE OF THE FATNESS. And if you dare even say no to their offerings of food, you'd be a bad kid. It's a lose lose situation unless you contracted tapeworms or something.

Anyway, again, I just think it boils down on letting symbols dictate how you feel about your status. <3 Critical thinking. It took me 20+ years to call their criticisms bull. My worth is not based on my waistline.

But, I do want to get fit. It comes in handy if there's ever a zombie apocolypse LOL
  • vsomsouk
    vsomsouk Posts: 8
    Options
    Yup. I've always been the bigger girl Asian girl throughout my whole life. :(
    Options
    heh, I'm Indian and have faith, nobody there calls you "fat" because they're asking "What the heck happened", they're asking because she think its a bad trait and you're a horrible person for letting yourself go.

The last time I was back home was in 2003, on my mother death. I was there for only a month. I was 200 lbs then (5 feet 9 inches male) and the comments ranged from "looks like you've been eating outside alot and not cooking home at all", "must be all those McDonalds" to asking my brother in front of me "Oh look at this bull blocking my way". The last comment was made while my mothers body was still in my house.

Gotta love us Asians. Who cares if a 19 years old boys mother is dead, lets berate him on how fat he is
    WOW that's so mean of them to actually berate you like that instead of condoling with your loss. I mean come on, I don't think any culture would tolerate such a thing as this. One of my ex-bf is an Indian & I know how valuable family is to you because my ex is also very close to his parents, brothers & sisters.

Anyway I'm so sorry for your loss & more so with that thing happened to you *HUGS*