anyone fasting for the month of ramadaan

Options

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    BTW sorry for the lengthy post :) I'm not against IFing if it works for you. And I recognise that there's a big difference between someone who's doing fat loss during Ramadan scientifically by applying IFing principles, however most Muslims I've come across are not doing this, they are under the delusion that fasting all day will make the fat melt off easily, and see Ramadan as an easy fat loss plan, when it's not they just end up with muscle loss and rebound fat gain. Also I didn't mean to imply no-one could make fat loss work during Ramadan.... if you've got a lot of fat to lose then you have less risk of losing LBM, if you've never had a history of undereating then that would probably help too. And there are other individual differences.............. but just following the fast the usual way is not a guarantee of fat loss, usually it's a guarantee of fat gain.

As for what I'm doing, I know I have a higher risk of LBM loss than other people, due to being already quite lean and also due to a history of undereating and slowing my metabolism which alhamdulillah I've overcome but I'm not risking going back there and I can't afford to lose any more LBM so that's why I'm being so conservative about eating at TDEE not trying to lose any fat.

And sorry if any of my posts come across in any way negative, please read them in a light and fluffy tone of voice, I just want to get the information out there so people are informed about the risks and can make intelligent choices.

And SALAAMS everyone may Allah accept your fasts and increase your emaan, ameen
  • sfb2510
    sfb2510 Posts: 28
    Options
    i'll be fasting too x
  • AleefahW
    AleefahW Posts: 1
    Options
    I am,insha allah.
  • hssheikh
    hssheikh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fasting is by no means related to or about losing weight. It has other benefits and is meant for the purification of soul, patience, your honesty, and your devotion towards Allah by obeying and catering for the obligations of Fasting. it should not be taken as a good way of losing weight. :) just keep your diet healthy, eat clean, and focus your energies and thoughts on something greater than just losing weight! being healthy is obviously important but the month of Ramadan is meant for much much greater things than this! :)
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Blessings everyone,
    I am not fasting but I would definitely like to learn more about this fasting of a different culture...
    Where can I read more information about this?
    :-)
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    Fasting is by no means related to or about losing weight. It has other benefits and is meant for the purification of soul, patience, your honesty, and your devotion towards Allah by obeying and catering for the obligations of Fasting. it should not be taken as a good way of losing weight. :) just keep your diet healthy, eat clean, and focus your energies and thoughts on something greater than just losing weight! being healthy is obviously important but the month of Ramadan is meant for much much greater things than this! :)

100% agree
  • dhakiyya
    Options
    Blessings everyone,
    I am not fasting but I would definitely like to learn more about this fasting of a different culture...

well I can run you through the basics.... a good book about Islam for the basics is "teach yourself Islam" by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood.

During Ramadan, you fast from dawn (i.e. first light) until sunset. While fasting you refrain from eating, drinking and sex. These things are allowed during the night. Usually you have two meals a day, iftaar just after sunset, and suhoor before first light, which means getting up in the night to eat it. Snacking during the night is allowed, and also for health reasons you need to keep drinking water through the night otherwise you won't stay hydrated during the fast.

At sunset it's traditional and recommended (but not compulsory) to break the fast with a glass of water and one or three dates. (it's traditional to eat dates in odd numbers). After breaking the fast, you do the sunset prayer, then have iftaar, preferably with family and friends. This should be a special occasion, but it's also taught that what you eat during the night should be enough to sustain you, and not extravagant. It's strongly advised to give food and/or money to the poor during this time, so what you save on food can be given to people who need it. After iftaar everyone prays the night time prayer, and during Ramadan there are extra prayers after this called Tarawih, where 1/30th of the Qur'an is recited by the imam each night. There are 30 days in Ramadan, and the whole Qur'an is recited, 1/30th each day. Also Ramadan is a time to renew your faith and make a renewed effort not to do any sins they may have fallen into the habit of doing.

Because fasting can be quite strenuous on the body, there are some reasons for people being excused - anyone who is sick is advised not to fast (if it's something mild like a cold you can, but any illness that would be made worse by fasting, you shouldn't fast) also if you become ill while fasting you break the fast and eat something. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers can choose to fast or not fast depending on how they feel, but if they are afraid for their child's safety they mustn't fast. Also travellers are excused from fasting, and women are excused while menstruating. If the reason for not fasting is something temporary, you make up the fasts later on when that reason does not apply. If you're excused from fasting, you don't eat publicly, because you don't want to eat in front of people when they're fasting (plus it can draw attention to you like "hi I'm menstruating" kind of thing!!)

At the end of Ramadan, there is the festival Eid al Fitr, where people meet up with friends and family, go to Eid prayers and generally have a good time. There's lots of food around at Eid, naturally, as it's the first time you're able to eat again during the day. Eid lasts for 3 days. You're not allowed to fast during Eid, so anyone with fasts to make up because they couldn't fast for some of the time in Ramadan has to wait until after Eid before they start fasting again.
  • hssheikh
    hssheikh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanku @DHAKIYA..u gave a very detailed information in a precise manner for people from other cultures to atleast have an overall idea about what fasting in ISlam is all about. :)
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    Hey there :)
    Inshallah, i'm going to be fasting, Feel free to add me
    we can support each other during the holy month :))
    take care!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    thanku @DHAKIYA..u gave a very detailed information in a precise manner for people from other cultures to atleast have an overall idea about what fasting in ISlam is all about. :)

The reality of it is, ritual fasting in most religions is about the purification of the body and soul, to bring focus from the hedonistic enjoyment of such things to the reliance on the higher power to guide us through life.

I'm not Muslim per se but I observe Ramadaan and tend to wear my hamsa during this time, when I feel in need of protection and guidance. My plan this year is to give my body over to true purpose. I was raised Catholic, and used Lent similarly. I adopted Muslim practices while dating my last serious ex.

One thing I don't quite understand is how, if you are seeking purity of the body, why you'd gorge on unhealthy foods anyway! To me, it is an insult to overindulge, even during the holidays. Mind you, I have no issue with enjoying yummy foods but I strive for moderation even when the sun goes down.

I plan to use this year's holy month to instill a sense of order to my currently chaotic health. Insha'Allah, I will end the month feeling healthier and more grounded.

I also want to point out that it is acceptable by teaching that if you have an extenuating circumstance that requires you to eat during the sun hours, during Ramadan, you can, if such eating is moderate and held specific to needs. My ex was diabetic and could not go without eating during the day, so we worked together to have a good plan for our faith building together.
  • kfareed
    kfareed Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you're not the only one, Muslims everywhere Al7amdolellah, we're all fasting in shaa Allah !!
  • kfareed
    Options
    start now by fasting 1/2 day or so and gradually increase the time, First of Ramadan is July 20th I believe, so try to be ready,
    you'll be surprised how easy it is, it's very easy as opposed to not eating on a non-fasting days !!
    for maximum fat burn try light-moderate cardio (walking or cycling) 20-30 minutes before Breakfast time (Magrib) your glycogen stores are depleted so your body taps right into your fat stores for energy, secondly, right as you finish breakfast time will be in so you'll drink and rehydrate !!, if you want resistance training, can do after breakfast
  • kfareed
    Options
    you mean eat your main meal at like 1130 or so? I hope that schedule works for you becuase not sure how healthy is it to eat and go to sleep and get up and eat again:s

All that no carb at night and don't eat before you sleep is bs !! Science recently proved that the only thing that matter is your caloric intake and your macronutrients!! So if you eat at night it's normal !! Go look it up and do the research if you don't believe me :) !! Source:- always read about nutrition because my goal is to be a bodybuilder and lost 50 pounds eating at night almost every day :) !!

I agree 100 % I lost a lot of body fat % eating ONLY at night, I agree with everything this gentleman has posted, accurate information that I have reached myself doing research.. I work out before Magrib, however, you can do whatever suits your schedule/goals and needs. After all, if you don't work out for the whole month, big deal,, no problem whatsoever, focus on the spirituality of the month and enjoy it !!!
  • kfareed
    Options
    Well i guess my food would bother me lol becuase its spicy. I might get heart burn if I don't give enough time to digest:s

Do you think its unhealthy to workout while fasting?
    Honestly I think yes!! Because you will be dehydrated and you won't eat anything which means there will be no fuel so your body will end up burning your muscles for energy instead of fat(which will result in lowering your metbaloslim and a lot of other bad stuff) + how on earth can you survive that thirst after working out in this heat >.<!!! If the problem is spicy food take easy on the spices :) .. I mean it's just a month scarfice a lil to achieve your goal!!

What I've done is work out right before breakfast time you deplete your glycogen stores and as soon as you finish work out, have breakfast with dates/water and protein shake and you're good !
  • kfareed
    Options
    Blessings everyone,

here is a link that maybe helpful to you, please don't hesitate to ask questions !

http://www.muslimconverts.com/ramadan/
  • Cemjames
    Cemjames Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't u think fasting is or Allah not for lose weight?
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    this is so interesting, so I bumping this. I'm not sure what to say but "have a great holiday to all of you' !
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Yes! I do think that the OP is asking because they are seeking help staying true to the fast, as well as to their diet goals. It can be hard to incorporate religious ritual into a healthy plan, especially when said rituals work counter-intuitively to the plan you have been following.

Most people don't intermittent fast so this is a new thing for the holiday... But I also don't think anyone on the thread has been denying the honor of the fast. I think it's more that we are acknowledging and discussing the secondary effects of the fast. Done correctly, it WILL make a person lose weight, and denying that fact could be detrimental to the overall health of a person.

I think that the important thing to remember is that while it is an act of honor, a person should not feel terrible if, because of what they are working on, they have to take in some calories or drink during sun up. I believe that the intentions of the heart are seen by all-knowing eyes, and so even if we stumble, the purity of our faith can be maintained.
  • losewazan
    losewazan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Inshallah i will be fasting too. I'm just gonnae try and make healthier choices rather than actively try and lose weight or work out though.
    dont really want to take away the whole meaning of Ramadhan afterall..
  • dhakiyya
    Options

Yes, I agree 100%

However our bodies are on trust from Allah, which means we have to look after them. That means paying attention to your health, during Ramadan and for the rest of the year too. Most Muslims go through Ramadan with no thought to health, I've lost count of how many iftaar dinners I've been to with the table piled high with deep fried food.

As for fat loss I think it's actually a lot harder, not easier, during Ramadan. Lots of Muslims do think it's an easy way to lose fat but it's not, usually they end up gaining weight due to eating too much at iftaar. i.e. through not paying attention to their health. If someone's trying to lose fat after doing careful research and following principles like intermittent fasting, well I'd see that as their way to maintain their health during Ramadan. And wanting to lose fat is a health goal for most people anyway. As for me, I'm not going to risk the lean body mass losses because I can't afford any and I lose it easily, so my plan (maintenance) is about what's healthy for me. I don't want to end up losing lean body mass and gaining fat during Ramadan... if that happens it means I've neglected my health. But yes you're absolutely right that it's about fasting for Allah... but looking after our bodies is for Allah too.