Who is supported 100% or not at all, I am not :(

Options

Replies

• SeeDRun
    SeeDRun Posts: 12
    Options
    My wife thinks it is silly that I put so much effort into being more fit. She is 5'1 and 111 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her shoes. She isn't negative about my workouts, but treats me with a kind of mild neglect that I have come to recognize as her just not being interested in what I am doing. (She has the same attitude about some of my dorkier pursuits)

I do think that she felt no competition or threat from me near 400 pounds. Don't get me wrong I was a heart breaker hefty and always will be no matter my weight. She seems a lot more uncomfortable as people take notice of me now and compliment me on weight loss or looking good. I do turn heads more these days. I wonder a lot of times if me at my goal weight might make her feel insecure or like it would be more likely another woman would want to take me from her.

Not that any of that is a real issue mind you. I think the sun rises and sets with her. Maybe I over think it and her disinterest is just disinterest. I just know that all my compliments (including the wildly inappropriate observation that my butt is all tight and round now) comes from friends and coworkers.

I try not to, but damn I eat that stuff up.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You've got support here!
  • conner67
    conner67 Posts: 7
    Options
    I believe my family supoorts me 100%. MY husband lets me buy the groceries I need to eat to live a healthy life style.
    I have been commited to this since may last year. I have realized you have to do for yourself first and everything else will follow..
    It is hard to have others try to eat healther as well.:smooched: :smooched:
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You are not alone... I feel you. While my husband doesn't make fat jokes about me, he makes running jokes... I've lost a lot of weight and feel great but when I told him I was training for a half marathon he shook his head and clicked his tongue and told me it was a mistake. Then when I injured my knee he did the "I told you so." It's very frustrating to be trying to hard and only get the occasional nod or a compliment where you instigated it like me saying "I look good." and him saying "yeah."

But I've been at this now since mid-January. I'm totally doing it for me. My family has made fun of me all my life but in the end I want this for me. MFP has helped A LOT. You are not alone, we will support you.

Family members can be the WORST. I have read so many negative things about other peoples significant others, I'm actually glad I'm single while making all these changes and losing weight.

There's a girl I know who works with my friends boyfriend, and she is ridiculously good looking and has a body to die for. She's a fitness trainer and aerobics instructor and one of the nicest girls I've ever met. While talking to her one day, I mentioned I had lost 25 pounds and she was THRILLED for me, and complimented me on my hardwork and incredibly encouraging. I barely know her and yet she gave me more support in one conversation than some of my family members have.

My family was super hard on me growing up it lead to some serious problems and now they have backed off but my father still rips me down a little. They're more concerned than supportive ... It's weird... But really this is your life and your lifestyle change, support or none you're doing it for you. The only person you can rely on is YOU. My husband is great but he's a couch potato and he has gotten better, I basically told him this is important to me and I need your support so now he is a little more involved actually comes to my hula performances and my races, it's nice but guys kind of need to be sat down and told how you're feeling, they're not mind readers, they think they're being funny or helpful.

I think my dad finally realized how much his words hurt me and he has become a lot more supportive instead of critical. I'm glad your husband is being supportive! Guys can be such dolts :)
  • sissypunks
    sissypunks Posts: 92
    Options
    i have the same problem i finally just told him if he don't like it deal with it cause im sick of the way i have been for years and am changing it if he cant live with it he can hit the road !
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My family thinks I'm crazy. I get a lot of my support from my amazing MFPeeps and myself. :)
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    My mom supports me 100% she even buy me healthier ingredients/food/snacks. However...my friends dont care if Im fat and trying to lose wieight.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    my hubby doesn't care either way. He just always says, whatever makes your happy babe... it's kind of frustrating!! I'm hypothyroid and just got on medication and started getting under control, it took me 3 months to lose 3 lbs (and I gained 1 back). Today, I found out I lost 3 in 2 weeks!! I was pumped. So now I'm at a total of -5. So I told him, and I get a nonchalant "that's awesome" and changes the subject. My mom high fived me though, she's really happy for me. It'd be nice to have support of my HUSBAND though. Ughhh
  • jumperchick
    Options
    my boyfriend doesnt want me to lose any weight. hes always trying to get me to eat more even though i dont starve myself or anything
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My dad's idea of giving me support is pinching the fat somewhere on my arms or back and saying, "Wibble wibble wibble!" if he sees me trying to eat something that has more than one calorie. Mom buys me tons of clothes that are many sizes too small as "inspiration clothes!"

...Thanks, Dad. Thanks Mom, that's just what I wanted you to buy me for my birthday--judgement!

It took my little sister giving BOTH my parents a dressing-down after I left in tears one Christmas to get them to back off. Luckily, after years and years of me struggling with the weight (about 20 total, in fact) they've finally just given up even asking about my weight unless I volunteer some information.

They're all effortlessly slim beanpoles. I say effortlessly, but they all work out every day and eat well. They never stress ate, binge ate, or had more than 10 lbs to lose in their entire lives. And when they did, they got the weight off in like three weeks. My mom walks with weights in her hands and gets cut biceps. It's absurd.

Anyhow. At least my fiancee is supportive! He knows how to gently suggest to me that I'm making bad choices, how to kick me out of the house to exercise when I don't wanna, and he knows how to hug me and encourage me when my losses are...well, not happening. (I do the 1 lb a month thing.)
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the ones closest to us are the least able to see. Even though you love him, you can't take what he says to heart. Maybe he doesn't take you seriously. We're here to help!
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think we need a picture of the tight roundy butt in order to make a real observation on this dilemma Lol. :P
    My wife thinks it is silly that I put so much effort into being more fit. She is 5'1 and 111 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her shoes. She isn't negative about my workouts, but treats me with a kind of mild neglect that I have come to recognize as her just not being interested in what I am doing. (She has the same attitude about some of my dorkier pursuits)

I do think that she felt no competition or threat from me near 400 pounds. Don't get me wrong I was a heart breaker hefty and always will be no matter my weight. She seems a lot more uncomfortable as people take notice of me now and compliment me on weight loss or looking good. I do turn heads more these days. I wonder a lot of times if me at my goal weight might make her feel insecure or like it would be more likely another woman would want to take me from her.

Not that any of that is a real issue mind you. I think the sun rises and sets with her. Maybe I over think it and her disinterest is just disinterest. I just know that all my compliments (including the wildly inappropriate observation that my butt is all tight and round now) comes from friends and coworkers.

• findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone EVER take YOUR control away from you.....YOU CAN DO THIS, you only need YOUR SUPPORT....like I tell my kids as school, sometimes, "haters be hatin,' but you don't have to hand your control to them and let them get the best of you! Be true to you!"
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    There are good days and bad days on this end. I have a boyfriend of 7ish years. We have lived together for almost 6 of them or so. Some days he is supportive and thinks of my 'dietary needs' if we go out to dinner or he cooks. THEN some days....my more than demanding fitness schedule is a burden, inconvenient or a hassel.

Since I know this is a life change for me somedays I think about if he will just get used to it or if he will never fully get it.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    You are doing this for yourself, not your spouse or anyone else. Don't let others have control over this. You are in control and you can do this if you really set your mind to it! I will give you 100% support whenever you need it! Good luck, keep moving and don't let anyone bring you down!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You are not alone with this!
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm not supported all the way....My family is toren apart so I'm only close to my mom. My boyfriend wants me to lose weight, but sometimes he can get out of hand with pushing me to do an workout and sometimes he can be a little demanding on wanting to eat out and saying oh its ok you'll just work it off later. He says that he can't help but to love me and wants me to be fed good. I'm doing this for ME and my daughter. I want to be healthy for my daughter and show her a postive way to eat. I want to be happy again. Do this for yourself. Any negative comments thrown at you just push it to the side and prove everyone wrong.
  • JLWesterlund
    JLWesterlund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband is not 100% supportive either, he is by no means mean or intentional hurtful but he doesn't understand the concept of tracking calories. Sometimes I think guys internally over-react when woman are making such a bold statement about improving our appearance. I think they begin to worry that if we are "cleaning house" they may eventually be next. I have been with my man for 16 yrs and see this same pattern time and time again when i make drastic life changes. I don't think it is a reflect on us but on them. Give your hubby some extra TLC and let him know he is still your #1.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Short and sweet, I have been there, But let me tell you something

IT FEELS AMAZING KNOWING THAT I AM DOING THIS ON MY OWN!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

I am 5'1" and am hoping to go back to 111 pounds! But gaining some weight did give me compassion. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!