Do you weigh yourself everyday? Why or why not?

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day.

Why? Because I believe in miracles...hahaha
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do, but shouldn't (according to common advice). Weight fluctuates daily (hourly) based on MANY factors (salt, water, body temp, etc etc).

A true scale is measuring size (neck, waist, hips) and plugging into body fat calculators. That said I still hop on the scale most morning (right our of bed).

But then again, it depends on your goal. If your goal is losing weight, then the scale is the tool. If it's losing size or "rearranging weight" (fat loss & muscle gain) then the tape measure is your friend.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I do only because I'm not a morning person and if I don't make it part of my morning routine, I'll forget and never do it. Plus, I think I secretly like to drive myself nuts. :ohwell:
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least once a day. I only record a loss if it is over a lb. and only after the weight has remained consistently off for several days.

As a matter of interest, there have been some studies done that indicate that people who weigh themselves more frequently tend to lose more weight and also are more likely to keep it off once they maintain.

Here is some information on one of the studies: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20051118/daily-weigh-in-may-help-dieters-lose

Note that the article does caution that daily weighing is not for everybody and it is not advisable for people suffering from eating disorders or clinical depression to weigh that frequently.
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and i'm losing my mind because of it.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days. I like to see if how if actually feel reflects on the scale. Like, if I wake up and feel puffy, does the scale reflect that? Usually it does. It's just an odd thing I do. But, I can go a whole week without it if I"m away from home. It's not an obsession. More like an odd parlor game I play to amuse myself. But I do get kinda ticked when the scale jumps too high!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, because I don't let a daily number on a scale substantially affect my sense of well-being. It's also very educational to learn just how much that number can change in 24 hours regardless of short-term diet or exercise...and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you should be able to look past those numbers to what truly matters in your dietary approach, which is your overall health.

(But the real question is, did you search for this topic first? It has been absolutely done to death...)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I prefer once/week. Monday mornings are my routine.

Although, I can go a month without looking and not slit my wrists or anything...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day before and after I poop. Why? Because science is cool. Also, I am not worried about the weekly fluctuations of the scale, but if I'm not being conscious of the ups and downs I lose sight of my weight-loss goals.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I do actually also agree with the post that talks about how weighing themself every day helps keep them on track. If I waited a whole week and it did happen to be creeping upwards (although I can usually feel it just based on what I have been doing - or not doing - to stick to my plan!), I think it would be even more discouraging whereas if I see it go up in a small increment, it will more likely take it as a little kick in the pants. So, it is just part of my morning routine right before getting in the shower every day.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I only log Friday as my official weight.

I actually like watching what my numbers do from day to day and I don't let the small gains scare me.
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale every morning. It is the best way for me to see how I did the day before. I am not one of those people whose weight fluctuates from day to day, unless my diet is the cause. If I am up, it is usually not a surprise and it becomes a reminder to be conscious of what I am putting in my mouth.
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I don't weigh myself everyday....but it's more like every time I go to the bathroom. I think I would like it better if I could have a close friend that could keep my scale for me and let me come over on Monday morning before breakfast to weigh myself. I think I need a 12 step program to stop stepping on my scale.
  • maryesser
    maryesser Posts: 24
    Options
    I hardly ever weigh myself, because I am strength training and know that the number on the scale will not reflect the changes in my physical shape. I think I have weighed in twice in the last 3 months (I am due, actually). Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds per day, which can be extremely frustrating if you are married to those numbers on the scale. Instead, I look at myself in the mirror, see how my 'thin' clothes are fitting, and - most importantly - I take the time to recognize that I am moving, breathing and generally FEELING better.

If you find that weighing yourself daily is making you depressed or causing you to want to give up, maybe make a commitment NOT to weigh yourself for a few weeks. One benefit is that by waiting longer you are almost guaranteed to see a decrease (provided you have not been cheating TOO much :-)).
  • Roseanna1017
    Roseanna1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every day, I find it very depressing. Especially if I have had a good couple of days, then the scale doesn't move!! That really ticks me off... I think once a week is plenty :)
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am getting some better on it. I only way when I notice my clothes are really baggy or if someone mentions like yesterday I look like I lost even more weight.
  • razorbecky
    razorbecky Posts: 134
    Options
    I weigh myself about 3 times a week, but I use Friday as my main Weigh in
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning and in the evening. I am fascinated by how much my weight can fluctuate from my eating, drinking, exercise and "other" body functions. : )

I dont get upset by the results though. Just stick to the plan.
  • HulaHips83
    HulaHips83 Posts: 129
    Options
    Once a week because it's not uncommon to gain a pound back sometimes or to plateau. And I haven't reached a point where I wouldn't be devastated if I gained a pound back.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I do. It helps me stay motivated and helps me understand the effect that certain foods or situations have on my body. Yesterday, for example I did a ton of yardwork and was fairly sore this morning, and sure enough, that soreness had a couple pounds of swelling water weight to go with it. I find it a great way to receive feedback and adjust my behavior patterns as necessary.

Exactly this. Understanding daily changes makes the most sense. A 'weigh-in day' can give you completely the wrong picture if that happens to be a high day. Plus, a daily routine is easier for me to keep to than a weekly one.