Too shy to run...

Options

Replies

• sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I think it would get easier with time and practice. After a while, you won't think about it and will lose the shyness.

Maybe you could start off walking/jogging early in the morning when not many people are out as other suggested. Walk a little and then jog a little to get used to it and ease into it.

Another idea is to listen to music while you are out so you don't focus on other people so much.

Eventually, you might feel comfortable enough to look at other people and say hello and not worry about what they think.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i think you just gotta have a "i don't care" attitude! i wouldn't run outside but i do at the gym. i ignore everyone around me.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    18429001_1180.jpg

That's what you keep in mind when you start running.

Love the picture! Think I'm going to print this off along with the blog post and the not stopping picture and create a motivational scrap page to turn to if I feel like stopping.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way when I first started running and what made it worse for me was I went to the gym with co-workers that have been running for years and here I was 300 pounds, trying to run beside them at a 5.0 pace and was only lasting maybe 2 minutes if I was lucky. Finally one of my co-workers noticed I had stopped running and asked why, I told her I was embarrased running next to them.
    She told me that, I am doing this for myself no one else and that I shouldn't care what other people thought. She told me about the
    Couch 2 5 K progam and it helped tremendously. Just recently she told me how great I was doing! It feels amazing!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way before I first started running. One day I just decided to do it, music on/world off and just run. You will notice no one is going to pay attention to you really. Go do it! :wink:
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I know how you feel OP!

I think people will be looking at me too :-/ and I dont like it.
  • betsyb27
    betsyb27 Posts: 2
    Options
    Any time Is see ANYONE running I say "go Girl!" or "Go Mr!" Start with interval training....walk 2 minutes, run hard 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes, run hard 1 minute. ALternate until you go for about 20 minutes....and fine tune the pace to what you are able to comfortably do. There is a great APP for the iphone which is free...from couch to 5k. Even if it is not your goal, it's a great guide.
    Good luck!!! JUST DO IT!!! Wear shades and a baseball cap for that incognito feel :D
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm back and wow o.O I didn't expect quit so many responses but thank you.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't run 1000 miles, but I did enough to gain some confidence. I managed 7 minutes then walked for 2, then 5 and walked for 2 then ran for 4 and saw a group of teens and decided to head on back XD But it's not about the distance or time today, it was just proving to myself I could do it and guess what?? I think I CAN! I put my headphones on and listened to some upbeat tunes, every time I got near somebody I just lifted my ipod out and acted like I was changing the song. I just ignored everybody and acted like I was in the zone. It will still take guts again next time, but I need to just keep trying what I am doing till I am confident.

Now I will read all of your many responses and again thank you =)

*edit make that after I've had a shower, even the dogs running away from me right now -_-

GREAT JOB!! :)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hate myself for this tomorrow but I have set my alarm for 6.30am and have placed it right at the top of my wardrobe so I will need a little step to get it which I am putting downstairs and it's set to go off every 5 minutes if I don't get it (I find it really hard to do early mornings) so that should wake me up to get going.
  • Christine_Bean
    Options
    Google running clubs in your area and join one. Runners love to recruit other runners and share tips and knowledge. Many running clubs offer the Couch to 5K program throughout the year so you can meet other new runners and get motivation and training from seasoned runners. Plus then you'll have new friends to run with outside of club activities. Other runners will not judge you. We were all new runners at one point. And if somebody is going to judge you from their car or kitchen window, who cares. At least you have the guts to get out there and run. I saw a quote on Facebook a few weeks back that said "You don't have to be great to start. But you have to start to be great." So lace up your running shoes and head out on the road. Good luck!
  • krisleve
    krisleve Posts: 7
    Options
    i use the outside track at the local high school (it's literally a 4 minute walk from my house). It's free and it's easy to keep track of the miles that i run/walk. If i go early enough in the morning, there is nobody there. I started slow and now i'm up to 3 miles! I never thought i would have said that 3 months ago!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get over it. No body is looking at you and if they are who cares? Start by walking and then add some running. Alternate running with walking.
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I understand, I feel the same. I wear my headphones and the music right up. I run on streets and roads so I have to pass a lot of people, some I can tell are commenting but I can't hear them so I block it out! Could they run 4 miles straight no stopping? Err, no! Today a southern electric van passed me and they stared in a really obvious I-want-to-make-you-uncomfortable kind of way . I'd be lying if I said it didn't affect me, but I really want to do this so I have to ignore it!
    Listen to music, look at the road ahead and ignore everyone. You'll get there.
    Xxx
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Ok, I admit, when people are running on my road, I LOOK. And I look hard....because it should be ME having the guts to get out and run like them, but I don't. I don't have mean thoughts in my head about them....only about me for not doing it!

Don't be afraid, strap on some shoes and go for it!!! :drinker:
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I really want to start running but I think getting over my shyness is going to be difficult. I would rather run outside than at the gym since a) It's free and b) scenery and several other reasons. Yet as I have said I have been putting it off because I am too shy! Running with a friend isn't possible since they don't enjoy it and I don't have a car to drive to the middle of nowhere and do it. I'm paranoid people will look at me. It's been a long time since I ran and I doubt I could do 2 minutes now without needing a break and I'm nervous of being judged as weak and unfit.

I know all runners out there started somewhere, and hoping someone can advise me how they got over being shy and just got up, out and did it. Any advice for just not caring what others think?

You're doing this for you, not them - get your butt out and get some fresh air - you'll love it! And you don't have to start off running, no need to hurt yourself. Start at a pace that's comfortable for you, get your heart rate up then work up to a fast paced walk (power walk) then if and when you're ready, a light jog. Do this several times before running so you build up your endurance :)
  • TOPsRocks
    TOPsRocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am working my way up from walking to sprints intervals with a goal to participate in a 5K walk/ run in Sept. Today I saw people looking at me when I was running. My first thought was they were thinking, "Look @ that fat lady! Sure looks stupid trying to run. Hahaha." I just turned off the negative dialogue running thru my head & replaced it. . .

I am doing this FOR ME. I deserve all the healthy benefits I am getting. I am strong. I run faster & longer every time. I am SO worth this. This is for me . . .

Then I turned my head so I would not see the stupid people looking at me.

Just do it~ No more excuses! :smile: That is what I tell myself.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice (and I'm too ADD to read through all the other replies, so someone might have already said this). Don't let anyone else dictate what you're going to do. Live your life for YOU. Do you want to run? Then run. Are you doing it for someone else? Then forget it. Guaranteed, if other runners do see you, all they're thinking is "Good for her. I wish I was running right now." Don't live your life in fear of what others think - it's too short, and your health is more important!
  • Pentdad
    Pentdad Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey folks fatman here again...

A fatman has less of a problem than a fat lady. That problem is other men.

Men will holla and cackle from their car windows at a chubby girl running along the road.

And if shes fit and lithe they will holla like wild dogs.

I wouldn't jog down busy streets if I was a lady due to these reasons.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    Just do it! I used to feel that way & then decided I really didn't care what anyone thought I was doing it for myself! Now when I see someone who is a little out of shape & out walking or running I think.....good for them and it makes me want to get out and do it! You will feel so much better once you do.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree, just do it! Start in local neighborhoods, work your way up to major streets, or just jump in and run right by the mall! Smile knowing your improving yourself, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! I realized it wasn't a big deal when I saw other runners, overweight etc, and I just thought "good for them!"