I've never been so happy with my ex.

Replies

• stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    I'd give it back. But if you wanna spend it, you could use it to reward yourself after losing a specific amount of weight like say you lose 5 pounds, go on a shopping trip.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    I sent it to him and he mailed it back.
    He says that I'm the devil and that he doesn't want it back. I'm a sunday school teacher and I leave in January to do missionary work, so I never really understood...

He told me to sell it. So I did. :)
    No one should be dumped over text message. Especially by their fiancé.
    I don't feel bad.

Invest it in something you have been wanting, pay bills with it, or go out with friends. If he wants to act childish you deserve the money and do whatever you want with it.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I would use about $100 shopping for fun things for me, $100-$200 for supplies to help the people on my mission trip then put the rest in savings so that one day when I was on my own I would have a little money to work with
  • mleugene
    mleugene Posts: 5
    I'm a little worried that so many people seem to know what your contractual obligations are regarding a verbal statement of marital intent.

Should I ever have cause to give someone else an engagement ring, I'm going to call a lawyer first.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    I'm a little worried that so many people seem to know what your contractual obligations are regarding a verbal statement of marital intent.

Should I ever have cause to give someone else an engagement ring, I'm going to call a lawyer first.

Forget the ring - focus on the prenup. The ring is chump change in comparison to the rest of it . I know :(
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member

I'm not sure where you are, but the state I'm in says anything like that is a gift and the receiver is free to do anything they please with it...keep it, sell it, throw it in the bottom of the ocean...doesn't matter.

Yes, same here... I know because I did not give my engagement ring back. My mother's second marriage ended badly, and he tried to sue her for the engagement ring... The courts said that anything given prior to marriage is a GIFT and is not marriage property, therefore the man has NO claim to the ring after the marriage or in the event of no marriage...

Guess it depends on where you live then, *shrug*
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186

I'm not sure where you are, but the state I'm in says anything like that is a gift and the receiver is free to do anything they please with it...keep it, sell it, throw it in the bottom of the ocean...doesn't matter.

Yes, same here... I know because I did not give my engagement ring back. My mother's second marriage ended badly, and he tried to sue her for the engagement ring... The courts said that anything given prior to marriage is a GIFT and is not marriage property, therefore the man has NO claim to the ring after the marriage or in the event of no marriage...

Guess it depends on where you live then, *shrug*
    Since I'm in Richmond too, I will shrug with you.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Do what's right... as serious as that ring was expected to be..
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Do what's right... as serious as that ring was expected to be..
    Exactly.
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.
    It might depend on which state you live in?
    Or which country, this site has members from all over the world.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Keep it just incase I got sued for it.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.

incorrect. this is not the case in all 50 states and in some circumstances... eff him and his loss. then again, i have no idea what the particulars are in OP's situation - although she never did say whether or not they ever married.

as for the large sum of money? i'd pay off debt and take a small chunk - no more than $2K - and take a private vacation. alone. All the rest would go to savings and/or to eliminate debt. boring, but practical and a much better gift to yourself than compounding any other existing issues.
  • Today, I finally sold my engagement ring he gave me and got a large sum of the money.

What would you do with the money if you were in my shoes? :)

give it back to your ex boyfriend because I presume he paid for it and you didn't get MARRIED!! LOL

that is if you indeed never married :tongue:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    yep give it back,, the problem with todays women is they all think about the money and that it is theirs when actually it is not.. it was a verbal agreement. once that agreement is over the ring goes back to the rightful owner. now if you were married that is one thing.. but not an engament ring.. but of course that will never happen most women take the money spend it on themselves and goon about their day..

What about the problematic men who don't make money?
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I sent it to him and he mailed it back.
    He says that I'm the devil and that he doesn't want it back. I'm a sunday school teacher and I leave in January to do missionary work, so I never really understood...

He told me to sell it. So I did. :)
    No one should be dumped over text message. Especially by their fiancé.
    I don't feel bad.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! Lucky you! Have fun!
  • laxwyo
    laxwyo Posts: 192 Member
    Rings and weddings are dumb. I can't think of a more glutinous thing in our society. When my daughters want to get married, I think I'll just tell them the money I would have spent on the wedding is in a trust. They'll thank me after they are divorced and have a good junk of change later in life. And if you have a big wedding for your second marriage....well you know
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Lax, don't hold back!! Tell us how you REALLY feel!! :)
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Sorry, I'm still trying to get over the engaged at 18 part...

Use it for your mission work. No better way to spend it.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    The last thing you should think about when you run into money is the fastest way to blow it.

Save and make calculated power plays.

"How much money does it take to make some more money?"
  • Catherinekaycorner
    Catherinekaycorner Posts: 23 Member
    Buy some actual shoes some sexy new heels to make yourself feel on top of the world!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    A friend of mine just sold hers last week. She paid bills. Mind you... she was the one who originally bought the ring in the first place. She says now that she should have recognised that as a clue it was a bad idea.