I keep giving up, what can I do?

I just don't know what the answer is...well I do but mentally it seems unattainable to me. I've recently gained 20 lbs that I know I need to lose now before my weight spirals out of control even more. I lost so much weight about over a year ago, I was feeling fantastic and people were always commenting on what a great job I did, how good I looked and how I did it.
It was easy at the time...I cut back my calories and exercised for about an hour everyday so I know HOW to lose it physically but not mentally.

I don't know what is wrong with me, I wake up feeling all motivated that I can lose the weight but then I fall back into my same patterns of over eating and binging.

Where do I go from here, what is going to make me lose the weight again? I feel like it's hopeless.

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Stop giving up.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Maybe you are restricting yourself too much..that can really backfire and cause binging and out of control behavior. I checked out your food diary and i really feel like you arent eating enough to keep you going.:flowerforyou:
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    I don't have anything of value to add to this post, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
  • shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    I have SO been there. Thats how I ended up here. The other poster is right - stop giving up. It sounds like you are where I was, just sick of failing and sick of trying and sick of giving up. My advice is just start. Set your alarm for 7am knowing you will wakeup and do X workout (DVD, running, whatever). Put a post-it on your alarm saying "get up!" so you don't shut it off. The biggest motivation for me was the realization that there are MANY workout DVDs out there that are only 30 minutes long. How convenient: you can do them in your home, and 90% of the time people have 30 minutes a day.

You can do it, good luck. Just start!
  • Stop giving up.

That is the best advice you'll ever get. There is no magic pill for building confidence or quick solution to maintaining your determination. In my opinion, you must take things one day at a time. I went through the exact same situation, myself. It's difficult for me to face people who remember seeing me forty pounds lighter, but I use it as motivation. Or I should say that I CHOOSE to use it as motivation. It is a choice that I consciously make.

Thinking positive is a choice we all have to consciously make at times, and especially at first, but it will make all the difference.

Now I've got a little tough love for you. You've already acknowledged that you need to make a mental change - so, what is stopping you? Like eating healthy, like working out, thinking positively must become a habit. You messed up? Okay. Own your mistake and use it. Why did you overeat, skip the gym, whatever it was that happened? What can you do next time to prevent it? Pat yourself on the back for realizing - hey, I screwed up, and then making the choice to move forward anyway.

Fail, try again, fail, try again - and stop letting yourself turn a temporary lapse in judgment or effort become a long-term excuse to give up. I have to remind myself of this every single day: "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Chin up! You're not alone, and you CAN do this.
  • nikki_mar
    nikki_mar Posts: 32 Member
    Starla, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. Start again today, and if you don't make progress by the end of the day, start again tomorrow and if not that day, start again on Thursday. Forgive me if it seems that I'm hijacking this thread but Spade117, your response shouted to me. 3 simple words but they were powerful to me. STOP GIVING UP!
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    it's because you are not eating enough and your body is hungry! You need to feed your body and not go under 1200cal EVER...
    If you eat enough then you won't feel hungry enough to binge... Trust me, Ive been there. :) e-hugs
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    I just don't know what the answer is...well I do but mentally it seems unattainable to me. I've recently gained 20 lbs that I know I need to lose now before my weight spirals out of control even more. I lost so much weight about over a year ago, I was feeling fantastic and people were always commenting on what a great job I did, how good I looked and how I did it.
    It was easy at the time...I cut back my calories and exercised for about an hour everyday so I know HOW to lose it physically but not mentally.

I don't know what is wrong with me, I wake up feeling all motivated that I can lose the weight but then I fall back into my same patterns of over eating and binging.

Where do I go from here, what is going to make me lose the weight again? I feel like it's hopeless.
    Be careful posting on here. Some people are really harsh!
    Just filter the good from the bad comments ;)
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    pray =)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Holy low calories! That might be part of the problem-why is your limit only 800 calories?! Your body is going to go into starvation mood.

I know what you're feeling but you can do this
  • Just always keep yourself motivated and try not to think of the what if's. I am on the same page as you Good luck and dont give up!
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    I'll be your huckleberry. Add me for support. :)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    I would try to figure out what derails you, a person, situation, food, type of food, feeling, stress. Once you identify that you will be better able to create a plan that works for you.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Maybe you are restricting yourself too much..that can really backfire and cause binging and out of control behavior. I checked out your food diary and i really feel like you arent eating enough to keep you going.:flowerforyou:

This.

My weight loss has been mostly unrestricted. Focused more on protein and protein=feeling full. Feeling starved killed every one of my diets. So I changed my diet into lifestyle and just worry about protein.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Have you tried going for walks or taking exercise classes with friends? When some of my friends and I get together for games, or movies, we will each bring something to snack on and it's surprising how fast the veggies and fruit will go. That way you have a support system and it doesn't feel like your in it all by yourself. :smile:
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Keep starting over every day.
    Make small changes to your eating/fitness habits daily, or weekly, or monthly, or whatever helps it happen seamlessly.
    Allow yourself to eat everything you like...just less of it.
    Allow yourself to NOT clean your plate.
    Walk at least 15 minutes every day.
    Laugh every day.
    Here's something to ponder while you are laughing: If you fall down half a flight of stairs, do you pick yourself up and throw yourself the rest of the way down?

Good luck!
    150930 Posts: 19
    I saw a great poster on Tumblr and it's of a girl running. It says, "If you are tired of starting over, stop giving it." Here is the link -
    http://indulgy.com/post/6RHyqcRe91/if-youre-tired-of-starting-over-stop-giving-up

I keep it as my cellphone wallpaper. Keep. Going.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Well first of all don't look at this as a diet, look at it as a life style of changing your eating habits. Don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods but eat them in moderation.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Stop giving up.

That is the best advice you'll ever get. There is no magic pill for building confidence or quick solution to maintaining your determination. In my opinion, you must take things one day at a time. I went through the exact same situation, myself. It's difficult for me to face people who remember seeing me forty pounds lighter, but I use it as motivation. Or I should say that I CHOOSE to use it as motivation. It is a choice that I consciously make.

Thinking positive is a choice we all have to consciously make at times, and especially at first, but it will make all the difference.

Now I've got a little tough love for you. You've already acknowledged that you need to make a mental change - so, what is stopping you? Like eating healthy, like working out, thinking positively must become a habit. You messed up? Okay. Own your mistake and use it. Why did you overeat, skip the gym, whatever it was that happened? What can you do next time to prevent it? Pat yourself on the back for realizing - hey, I screwed up, and then making the choice to move forward anyway.

Fail, try again, fail, try again - and stop letting yourself turn a temporary lapse in judgment or effort become a long-term excuse to give up. I have to remind myself of this every single day: "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Chin up! You're not alone, and you CAN do this.

Probably one of the best things I've read on here and spot on 100% accurate!
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    1. Don't restrict yourself too much. If you are craving something eat it, but budget your calories and/or get in extra activity to accomodate those cravings. If you deprive yourself you'll often feel guilty and fall off track.

2. Eat fiber rich and protein rich foods (they will help you feel fuller longer)

3. Drink 8 + glasses of water a day (it is recommend that you drink at least one glass of water before you eat to help you eat less and feel fuller)