Former smokers

Options

Replies

• MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin! No crazy side effects like the Chantix. It was also a slower process. I gradually smoked less and less, finally one day I realized I was down to maybe 2 a day and decided to quit.

I'm not going to say I haven't had a cigarette since I quit, but we're all human :smile: I will MAYBE have 1 or 2 when I drink, which is a couple of days a month. This is in comparison to the pack a day habit I kicked!
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey two months ago. Whenever I wanted a smoke, I ran up and down the stairs 10 times. :)
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    Ditto to that!!! I smoked my last one on my 40th birthday, Jan 3, 2012. I want to be able to breath, I want to get healthy, I want to save my money.

The way I figure it, my parents had the first 18yrs of my life.
    The hubby/kids had the second 20 yrs of my life.
    I want the next 20 yrs of my life, and I want to be around for all 20 of it!!!

Good Luck to you, feel free to add me if you want, that way if you get the urge, just leave me a message and I'll get it from my phone if i'm not on!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    For me, I just got sick and tired of smoking...I only enjoyed two of the more than half pack of cigarettes I smoked in a day (after supper and in the car). I used the patch for a couple of days but then didn't need it any longer. What REALLY worked for me was a menthol gizmo that I could "draw" on like a cigarette when the urge to smoke hit me. I used that for a couple of months. I also tried to drink water every time I had a craving (I now drink 3 litres of day because of that) and tried to distract myself with crafts or doing something different. I also told myself that I wasn't quitting forever, I was just quitting for now (that helped a lot too==doing it in small doses in stead of thinking of NEVER having one again. It's now been 13 years, I STILL get the odd craving (so funny) especially when driving on the highway but I've known since a few months after I quit that I'd never smoke again. The smell of it actually makes me feel naseaus now.

I really wish you the best of luck with this, it is so good for you to quit--they say that after a year of not smoking your lungs are just as good (or close to it) as if you never smoked before. I know that I've had my lungs checked and they are considered younger than my actual age!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    There is also a website similar to this one that you can use to quit smoking too. A friend of mine used it and it worked for her. http://www.quitnet.com/qnhomepage.aspx
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, I quit 8 in a half months ago. I quit cold turkey. Because Me and my son both have asthma and my son and my fiancee encouraged me to give it up. My mom is 55 yrs old and has severe empyszema from smoking and my grandma died at 58 to the same thing. That was my motivation!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had tried to quit a few times before the last time finally stuck. Mine was a slow progression. I first cut down on how many a day I had and then quickly went to not buying any packs but would bum off my friends when out. Well a friend came over and I was chain smoking her cigarettes and by the time I went to bed I felt disgusting. My stomach hurt, my lungs hurt and I felt that maybe if I threw up I would feel better (even after brushing my teeth). I just remember thinking "remember this feeling". The next day my nephew was born and I have been smoke free for 5 years (this past July). I admit I say "Smoke free for 5 years" but really it has only been 3 years because for the first two years I would smoke one here or there with old friends while out. Normally no more than 1 every few months. However, 3 years ago when I said "sure I'll have one, why not" I took on puff and almost threw up. My body has completely rejected them all together. I hardly ever have cravings anymore. It is never easy but you can do it.
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    That is awesome, I am trying to get my husband and mother to quit but they say it's very hard. I have tried talking to them and when my husband buys a pack, he tell me to keep them in my purse when we're out so he wont smoke that much, but its a start.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I quit 1 January using a PV. (personal vaporizer, like an e-cig but better!) I tried patches, gum, zyban, cold turkey, hypnosis, etc. Then a shop opened up in our area and the hubs and I went in and saw the new styles of e-cigs that are so much better than the kind you can get in the mall...100's of different flavors and nicotine levels! We started at 18 mg and are now down to 12 mg. The goal is to get it to 0 mg. The smell of cigarettes makes me sick now. This gives me the hand-to-mouth thing and keeps me on nicotine so I don't get evil. It has been a lifesaver for us!
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The first time I quit I used nicorette gum and inhaler, and was chewing that gum and sucking on that little white plastic thing for years. Then I fell off the wagon for a couple of months - after that, cold turkey. I didn't try to ease my cravings, just acknowledged them and toughed it out. It is brutal, but I think that feeling those intense cravings and not doing anything to make them better made me realize how strong the addiction is, and made me vow to never start up again. When I was doing the gum and inhaler I just substituted the addition. Feeling the pain of withdrawal was a good choice for me. I actually do the same thing with food, don't try to deliberately fill up on bulky food just so I don't feel hungry - I know I am getting enough calories, and the "hunger" is not true huger. I just tough it out, and now my hunger signals have really died down.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 3 years. I quit in October 2011. I never felt cravings, so I only smoked 3-4 cigs a day, but it was an awful habit because I loved smoking, just the act of smoking itself. I always looked forward to it. I quit cold turkey because my boyfriend wouldn't stop bothering me about it...he HATES smoking. I ordered an e-cigarette with no nicotine to help me because I always have to have something to do with my hands and something in my mouth, but I used that for awhile and my boyfriend still said it was smoking, so once I lost the charger to it I just stopped smoking that too. I seriously only quit so he would shut up lol, but I was never mad at him for complaining about it because it means he cares about me and wants me to be healthy.
  • gingah73
    gingah73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Cold Turkey and STAY BUSY lol if you start to think about it find something to do!

^^^ that's the ticket! I quit 4/13/12 doing exactly the above, after being an addicted, pack-a-day smoker for more than 20 years. The "something to do" started out for me with cleaning, and then turned to exercising. Feeling how much easier it was to breath as the days went on was a huge motivator to keep going!

The difference for me this time (and this is it!) was to let go of all of the drama attached to it. I told my family and friends that I quit (AFTER I did it, no drama leading up to it, either) but that I didn't want to talk about or be asked about it. I didn't want the constant reminders, especially if I wasn't thinking about it and then have somebody bring it up and I start thinking about it. (and then can't *stop* thinking about it!) That worked wonders for me. I decided that I had given cigarettes more than half of the years I've been alive, they weren't getting another day or any more attention from me.

I still get the occasional craving, but I don't miss it one bit. (and the stuff you can buy when you're not spending $200+/month on cigarettes is aaaaawesome!)

Good luck!!
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    A a respiratory therapist I just wanted to say it is awesome to see so many people who have done it! Great job! I tend to see a lot of the other side, treating people who still smoke and can't breath or are in to diagnose or stage cancer.

Great job everyone!!!!
  • Maria_T007
    Maria_T007 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have been smoke free for 15 months now. I kept telling myself no more.. and I just never picked up another cigarette. Now I feel wonderful and I have no cravings..best of luck!
  • MicaelaFW
    MicaelaFW Posts: 63
    Options
    3 months smoke free :) after 15 years.... I used patches for a month until I felt like I could get through the anxious moments... (my skin was irritated, but was better than smoking) I feel great and my husband, my father, and mother in law are also smoke free now too...

GOOD LUCK
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My one year quit date is coming up, July 29th!! I quit after 11 years by using Chantix for 2 weeks. I eventually got so sick from the pills that I stopped taking them, but the gross side effects from smoking stuck with me. I continued to get sick and grossed out by the smell that I never cheated, EVER! I tried cold turkey and I was never able to do it. Chantix was a wonder drug for me!
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I smoked for 15 years.
    I quit a year and a half ago

I had an e-cigarette.
    So I used that until I found it to be troublesome (refilling, recharging, blah blah, I only used it certain times of the day, never when out, just at home)

I have smoked during the time I quit and I got really sick... so I'm glad I quit.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I started pole dancing for fitness and gradually added in more cardio as I cut back on cigarettes. It is so freeing to be able to BREATHE when you're working out!! It sounds silly, but that's what keeps me going. I also ordered an E-Cigarette from South Beach Smoke (they are cheap from them) and used a nicotine patch with it. Then, after about a month I didn't even want a real cigarette anymore. I tried to smoke one a few months later and thought I was gonna die! It tasted bad, hurt my throat and lungs, and smelled just awful! I haven't had one for 6 months now!! You can do this, just don't give up! It may take you several tries to quit, and that is OK! Best of luck to you! :wink:
  • Fireshadow696
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only way that worked for me. You have to WANT to quit for YOUR own reasons, no matter how petty they seem to other people. It'll be 6 months soon...I still want one sometimes, I suggest something to keep your fingers busy.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back after 20 years puffing away.

Seriously, I owe my freedom from smokes to that man.

Same for me. Allen Carr's book freed me from the bondage of tobacco. Cold turkey is the only one that worked for me.No regrets. One year and five months smoke free, no cravings or desires to ever pickup this dirty habit again. :)