Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people say "if you will" when they are trying to explain something or make a point.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I could care less.

WHY DON'T YOU, THEN
    I hate this too! Shouldn't it be I couldn't care less? Whatever!
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    Anything with "retarded" in it. I find it horribly disrespectful.

^^^This^^^

When did the word retarded become such a household phrase??? I hear adults use it all the time. Didn't anyone ever teach them that it's wrong???

I totally agree. I have a great friend in Texas that has two adorable girls with fragil X syndrome. Thank god they ahve two awesome parents that love them to death and will do anyting for them, and are fighting to find a cure.

I used it in this thread. You got me .
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    One I hear at work all the time from my catty coworkers:
    "I don't mean to be mean, but..."
  • lalaloses
    lalaloses Posts: 22
    Options
    "my bad!" - makes me want to smack something

the phrase "Stinkin' cute" - GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    "No offense, but..."

Invariably followed by something offensive.

It's like saying no offense clears you to verbally abuse somebody to a pulp.

"With all due respect" also forever followed by something extremely disrespectful.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    "I'm just sayin"....it's what people say when they want to keep on talking but can't form an intelligent thought.
    "REALLY!!" .....said in a b*tchy, snarky, Mean Girls-type voice
    YOLO....I KNOW we only live once, and I could DIE happy if I never had to hear that one again!"
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Anything with "retarded" in it. I find it horribly disrespectful.

^^^This^^^

When did the word retarded become such a household phrase??? I hear adults use it all the time. Didn't anyone ever teach them that it's wrong???

I used it in this thread. You got me .

that word was banned in my husbands house growing up. They could say anything they wanted swear wise but not the "R" My brother in law has down syndrome, but he is awesome and so much fun to be around.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    "JUST SAYIN"

I can't stand this either.:explode:
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    "Twelve, one half-dozen or the other" and "pot calling the kettle black" both irritate the snot out of me.

Did you mean "6 of one, half dozen of the other"?
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I hate the expression "butt hurt", for example he is just butt hurt that he didn't get the cake and get to eat it too lol :)
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Ink pen- what other kind or there?
    Pocketbook- it's not a book it's a handbag

don't go fighting me on the ink pen thing lol
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    I have 'a' ways to go. -- ugh it just sounds awkward
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I really don't like when people add "s" to Walmart, Aldi, Price Chopper.

Walmarts. Aldis. Price Choppers. "I am going to Walmarts".

I also dislike when people use the word retarded. "That was so retarded". It is disrespectful.

In the south, they go to THE Walmart, THE Price Chopper, etc.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    oh oh and "axe" as in let me axe you something. If you want to axe me something it better be chicken, beef or pork because that is all that I want axed.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Ink pen- what other kind or there?
    Pocketbook- it's not a book it's a handbag

don't go fighting me on the ink pen thing lol

I heard "ink pen" in GA for the first time. Goes with "sweet" and "unsweet" (iced) tea, I guess. Where I come from they just have "tea". It means it's hot and plain. If you want to sweeten it, do it yourself. Iced tea is "Iced tea". Again, if you want to sweeten it, do it yourself. Also, I noticed that everyone has IN-surance for their cars. You need that if you're fixin' to go to THE Walmart.

Also heard in (rural) GA: How to offer someone a ride home: "May I carry you home"? hmmmmm. I'm kinda heavy. You can try.
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "God doesn't give you anymore than you can handle" I have a severely handicapped daughter and yes there are days when it is definitely more than I can handle! I hate this saying...

My mom says this all the time and I'm like, "Uh, yes, sometimes He does."
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    I borrowed her some money.

No you didn't you loaned her the money.
  • realia
    realia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I hate the tupical funeral sayings. "They're in a better place" "everything happens for a reason." "At least they won't suffer anymore."
    "I'm sorry for your loss." "My condolences"

The next time I lose a loved one I want someone to say the real stuff to me. "Well that sucks, you're life is going to be hell for a while and if you're lucky, you won't be in the ground soon yourself. But stop whining"
    This so much! I just wanted to shut everybody the hell up. Oh, and "Keep Strong".
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I borrowed her some money.

No you didn't you loan her the money.

Sorry to correct, but it's LEND (verb) money. You give them a loan (noun, the actual money). You LEND them money. They borrow money from you.