Expressions you hate..

Options

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    "Irregardless" totally drives me insane.

This one also bugs me. My husband told me that he saw it in print!
  • xPaprika
    xPaprika Posts: 22
    Options
    I find the phrase "it's not even funny" to be both completely overused and almost never applicable in the situations that it's said in.

For example: "God, I feel so sick right now, it's not even funny!"

I mean, really? If you were just a little bit sick ,would be both be giggling right now?

'__'
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    "Everything happens for a reason." I feel like it's just a way to help someone deal with a situation and for some reason drives me bananas.

Hahaha....my husband posted this on facebook today "Everything happens for a reason, but sometimes that reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions"
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes whenever I hear someone say "mute point."

ETA: before someone accuses me of ignorance, yes, I do know it's "moot"...

Well, Joey on "Friends" thinks its a "moo point". ;-)
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Preggo....short for pregnant. It seems so trashy and backwards.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    yolo and swag if the persona saying is NOT being ironic.

I recently found out that YOLO wasn't a person's name, as I'd previously thought. I thought they'd just done something that a person on Jersey Shore (or whatever TV show) would do. "I just ate ice cream. YOLO!!!!"

But swag I only know in the context of shwiggity shwag, what's in the bag? And I like that one.

The most annoying expression is "Regards". I HATE it when people sign "regards" at the end of their emails. "Kind regards." "Warm regards." WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SAYING I HATE YOU
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Preggo....short for pregnant. It seems so trashy and backwards.

When I hear "preggo" I think of spaghetti sauce. lol I hate that term too
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "could be worse"

yeah thanks, doesn't mean all my problems have magically disappeared...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Also...words shortened for the sake of trendiness...like "Oh she's just jelly" (as in jealous) and girls adding in the word "so" unnecessarily like "are you SOOOO excited?!"

OMG! I hate that too. I was watching last season of American idol, and every time, Jennifer Lopez said, "I got goosies..." I got irritated, It's goosebumps!!
    Haha I agree. She gives me the impression that she's trying hard to sound more American like
  • KellyAlyssa84
    Options
    "It is what it is."

Really? Thank you for that clarification, Captain Obvious!
  • Judontmesswithme
    Options
    "Let's play it by ear" I don't know why but when someone says this, I get REALLY annoyed.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Mine is
    "I don't care"!
    I would rather hear
    "it's OK with me"
    I hate the phrase
    "I don't care"!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Since someone brought up things that people say at the loss of a loved one I have a few that make me boil in anger.

1. God only takes the best. Even evil people die. All people die.

2. At least (insert name here) isn't suffering anymore. Yes, but now I am suffering so please just pay your respects.

3. When a death occurs around the time of a holiday ..."how sad that they died at Christmas..." death is hard for the loved ones no matter when it happens..how dare you minimize someone else's suffering by making some one else's pain more significant because of when it occured in the calendar year.

4. Surrounding a miscarriage or death of a child "You can have another one."
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Anything with "retarded" in it. I find it horribly disrespectful.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    "Everything happens for a reason"...bleh!
    I forgot to put that one... I hate that as well especially if coupled up with "God has a better plan for you" , BOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah, they are trying to say that bad things that happen (or that other people do) are actually good things. How does that help? It doesn't. Some things are bad and we just need to face that, so we can heal and move forward without trying to pretend everything is actually just good. We need to have compassion for all the different bad things that happen in this world, not claim it was just for everyone's own good.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know someone who says "sithers" instead of "scissors". It' like nails on a chalkboard.

Also when someone says "supposeably" instead of "supposedly"...

...I think I just hate when people mispronounce words intentionally. And when my sister misspells things intentionally (she is 15 and she thinks it's cool)
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    "That's what I'm talking about" especially when it's just mumbled.

"Otay" for Okay

Improper usage of "I" (didn't we ALL have to pass English in school?)
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    4. Surrounding a miscarriage or death of a child "You can have another one."
    Yes! Especially when you can't have another one.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    "You know what I mean?" at the end of every other sentence. Umm...no. If I knew, I wouldn't be listening to your explanation -__-

"Everything happens for a reason." I feel like it's just a way to help someone deal with a situation and for some reason drives me bananas.

"He/She is in a better place now." Don't say this to people after they have lost someone. It doesn't help.

The "You know what I mean?" also irks me. Or rather "you know what I'm saying?"
    My friend does it to me ALL THE TIME. He's always looking for that "uh huh" interjection from me while he talks. I always ask him why he needs me to always agree with him. ;-)
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When the word death is used instead of deaf or vice versus. :grumble:

Several already stated as well but I think the top one is "I know, right?"