Running or Elliptical

Options
Just curious what you feel gives you more of a full body workout. I've mainly been doing the elliptical and thinking of starting jogging after I get below 200 lbs (about 6 more to go). Do you feel like you get more out of the elliptical or jogging/running?

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Personally, running.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I prefer running (especially outside), generally because you actually get somewhere and viewing the scenery makes the run more enjoyable.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    runfatmanrun - LOL. Love the username and I can totally sympathize.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Depends on the person.

I have a HORRIBLE gait and so my joints hurt really bad when I run... (my nickname in high school was Forrest Gump :( )

So I prefer the ellyptical just to keep my form in line...otherwise I look ridiculous and am in pain before I can really burn any calories.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Personally running gives me a better workout. I know I sweat a lot more and it's harder so it must be better for you.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I guess it also depends on if you use the settings on there...the "weight loss" setting KILLS me every time...you wanna sweat on an ellyptical, there are ways :)
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I found when I very first started, and could barely run around the block and struggled with terrible shin splints, that I preferred the eliptical. Now that I can run longer distance, I prefer to run outdoors fo the change of scenery and also to challenge myself to go further. However, I will jump on the eliptical in a heartbeat if it is above 90 degrees outside as it has been lately.

To answer your questions about the workout, I think personaly i feel a bette workout ofter a jog versus the eliptical.
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to love the eliptical, but my trainer told me that running is much better for you. So I started power walking/jogging on the treadmill & I noticed a huge difference. I've found that I burn more calories in 20 minuets on the treadmill than I do 30 min on the elpitical.
    Just curious, why wait until you're under the 200 mark?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.

I have a HORRIBLE gait and so my joints hurt really bad when I run... (my nickname in high school was Forrest Gump :( )

So I prefer the ellyptical just to keep my form in line...otherwise I look ridiculous and am in pain before I can really burn any calories.

MSepp has a good point, do what doesn't hurt. Pain is not a beneficial side effect of working out if it is persistent. As for my name, elipticalfatmaneliptical just doesn't roll off your tounge like runfatmanrun does.:tongue:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    The elliptical hurts my knees so i only do about 10 minutes really fast on it.
    Mostly do running and fast walking on treadmill.
    Try adding in biking, i feel that works my legs even better then running.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I prefer to run outdoors. I feel like a hamster on a wheel when I am cooped up inside on the treadmill or the elliptical.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The exercise that you're most likely to do every day is the best one for you. The one you don't like or causes you pain is the worst one. Stick with the elliptical machine.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    run. outside. as much as you can. go now.
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to love the eliptical, but my trainer told me that running is much better for you. So I started power walking/jogging on the treadmill & I noticed a huge difference. I've found that I burn more calories in 20 minuets on the treadmill than I do 30 min on the elpitical.
    Just curious, why wait until you're under the 200 mark?

Good question! I think it's more of a mental thing. Because I am seeing such good results on the elliptical I wanna keep that up until I reach a certain goal. And maybe those 6-7 lbs wouldn't be as hard on my knees lol

I do the "hills" intervals on the ellitpical so it's not just one setting/level the full 20-30 minutes that I'm on there. I sweat like crazy on that thing. It's actually quite embarassing some days :blushing:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Running hands down
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Running is better practice for evading the zombies.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I would much rather run than be on an elliptical. I never used to mind it until I started running, outside. It is SO much more "zen" to just be outside and run.
  • WendyA1119
    WendyA1119 Posts: 53
    Options
    I was an elliptical girl. However, i am starting to love running becasue I feel like I get a better cardio workout from running.
  • amyheine
    amyheine Posts: 3
    Options
    Running - Go outside and play! You also get better looking legs out of the deal and a good dose of Vitamin D. If the weather is cool enough and you are lucky enough to have a best friend like mine - A Goldendoodle - take him along as well. Nothing better at the end of the day than a tired dog to go with great looking legs.
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Because of flat feet, running KILLS my feet, shins, knees and hips. Maybe expensive running shoes and better insoles could fix that, but for now, the elliptical is the only way I can "run" without being in crippling pain. I can go 30 mins, at a decent pace vs running outdoors, where I can barely manage a few minutes at a time. So yea, running outdoors is definitely the better workout of the two, but if it causes pain, stick with the elliptical since it's lower impact.