Running or Elliptical

Options

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Because of flat feet, running KILLS my feet, shins, knees and hips. Maybe expensive running shoes and better insoles could fix that, but for now, the elliptical is the only way I can "run" without being in crippling pain. I can go 30 mins, at a decent pace vs running outdoors, where I can barely manage a few minutes at a time. So yea, running outdoors is definitely the better workout of the two, but if it causes pain, stick with the elliptical since it's lower impact.

Yes! Good quality running shoes will make all the difference! It's important to find a store that does the fitting for you. They put you on a treadmill and take video. It makes ALL the difference; honestly!!

EDIT TO ADD:
    Please don't buy running shoes based on the brand. What works from some (Nike) doesn't work at all for others! (Me!)
    Try on Nike, Brooks, Asics, etc. You have to put them on and test them out. And you have to be trying on the right support for YOU. That's where the custom fitting comes in!
  • sarahmrimmer
    Options
    run. outside. as much as you can. go now.

this
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Running, the elliptical is a calorie burning scam. (IMO of course)
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do both, but I feel like I truley get the most out of running. I am 227lbs, so it is rough on the joints, which is why I only run 2 times a week. I hope to be able to run up to 5 times a week as my weight continues to drop.

Running simply provides more burn for the time.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I would run over the eliptical any day, however, I like to get my cardio in and don't/won't run everyday....so I cross train on the eliptical twice a week along with bicycle riding and then run 4 times a week! :) Before I took up running though I was in love with the eliptical! :)
  • Karhyn
    Karhyn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personaly think that variation in exercise is better. Do elyptical for a couple days, than running for another couple of days. I find that the body adapts to the exercise you're making it do and the workout is just not as good after doing the same thing for a while.

even my running is split. 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking and so on....the heart rate gets pikes and this helps you lose weight :)
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Running. I burn more calories and get a better workout doing a 30 minute run (on a treadmill - it rains too much here to run outside) than I do spending 30 minutes on an elliptical
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I want to try the elliptical, I havent yet.

I am walking/jogging in the mornings, and while the weather is nice that's great, but I want to find something for the winter I will like doing ...
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running, but my knees don't, so i think I'll try getting a eliptical
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I get a better work out (calorie burn) running. No doubt.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total elliptical girl.....45 minutes a day, day in, day out. I've never been able to run (too hard on my joints).

Then I had a trainer explain to me that all that time on the elliptical doesn't make you "better" at anything, you're just on there burning calories. He pointed out that the only ones using the elliptical in my gym at the time were the "larger" or "unfit" people.

Walking or running, continually uping the ante to make the workout harder, will make you better at walking or running, and walking is something you want to be good at your whole life.

So now I never use the elliptical and power walk on the treadmill as fast as I can comfortably go (only 3.2 mph because I am short) at a 10 to 12 incline without holding on. It drives me crazy when I see someone walking really fast or at a steep incline but hanging on for dear life....that's cheating yourself in my books!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Running, for me! I only do the elliptical if I need a low impact exercise.
  • gina145
    gina145 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Elliptical-To hot here in summer...so no excuses with elliptical, easier on the knees for me.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Just curious what you feel gives you more of a full body workout. I've mainly been doing the elliptical and thinking of starting jogging after I get below 200 lbs (about 6 more to go). Do you feel like you get more out of the elliptical or jogging/running?
    Generally speaking, running will burn more calories per hour (not true for everyone - which is what I mean when I say "generally speaking"). Running can be harder on your body. I say "can be", because for some, the forced movement of an elliptical machine might be bad for their legs.

As others have stated, whatever exercise you are more likely to do regularly is probably the best over time. Assuming neither exercise causes injury, why not strap on a HRM and see which activity burns more calories? That will answer your initial question. But even more important - try both and see which one you enjoy more.

Even if running burns twice the calories of the elliptical, if you hate running, the calorie burns won't matter much if you are finding ways to avoid running. I don't think this can be overstated. Even if running burns twice the calories of the elliptical, if you hate running, the calorie burns won't matter much if you are finding ways to avoid running. Maybe it can.

I recommend not getting too hung up on calorie burn numbers. If you are enjoying the elliptical and getting results, keep doing it. If you are looking for something different, there are lots of other choices besides running. It's not a question of either/or. You can do both. And/or play basketball. Just move.

I don't want to talk you out of running, either. Running is fantastic exercise and requires very little equipment to buy and often means getting outside, which has its own benefits. Walking is great too, and has almost all the benefits of running - and may be better than running for some people since it is less impact.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to be solely elliptical and felt like I got a good workout in. I could go for an hour really hard and be pouring in sweat...and I thought I was in good shape. But I wasnt seeing any weight loss or shrinkage results. (I had about 10 pounds total to lose, just vanity weight for the wedding). So I started running. I started doing something like C25K and built up. And I realized that the elliptical did not prepare me one bit for running! I felt so out of shape when i could only run 30 seconds *but I could easily do an hour on the elliptical!*. It took a while to build up but now I run 5 days a week. I have dropped the 10 pounds I wanted to...but also lost inches EVERYWHERE. I lost inches in places I didnt know I had an extra half inch! Running has done amazing things to reshape my body. And its so much more enjoyable to me than the elliptical. I hated my feet falling asleep and the feel of restricted motion. Running is a great workout and stress reliever. But get real running shoes that fit your gait and start slow.
  • bgood24
    bgood24 Posts: 9
    Options
    If your body can handle both, I recommend doing both elliptical and running. Variation is the key! Do steady state cardio, do high intensity interval (changing speed, incline, or both). Incline walking is an amazing work out too- so don't just think running. I use to only run but now I incorporate all and have lost weight and seen much more definition.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running will build bone density in the legs. Elliptical will not as it is non-impact.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Running baby!! Also... why wait?!?!? Start small and gradually build up. For me, I found running was more mental than physical. YOU CAN DO IT!! :)

Best of luck to ya!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Running I even dress for the colder weather I have learned to love it. I can do it anywhere pretty much anytime whenever my wife and I go on a trip I bring my running gear with me. I would suggest getting a GPS/Pacemaker a nice one is Garmin 410 not cheap but gives nice data on your runs if you like that kinda of stuff, I have a Garmin 305 the 410 is gonna be my upgrade. I get a lunch time run in pretty much every work day. I have learned to hate/love hills specially the slow long grades.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to only do elliptical, until I could literally go an hour without breaking a sweat. I wasn't losing weight, either...never really did with the elliptical.

Then, at 270 pounds I started running. I could only run a minute at a time, if even that.

Now, I weigh 189 and I can run 3+ miles at a time without stopping.

No question...running was better for me.