Engagement rings and men

Options
Stompp
Stompp Posts: 216
So, I was just thinking... if you're supposed to give a girl an engagement ring, and not expect it back if it falls through to no fault of your own... You should get something too... Say.. a big screen TV, or something cool of your choosing...

Obviously I'm making these assumptions
a) you're not a *kitten* (well maybe you are... not the point)
b) the guy bought her an engagement ring and it wasn't cheap
c) stereotypical situation, man buys girl ring, girl b*tches out, keeps ring

What say you MFP??

Replies

• sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    Why should the guy just pay for the ring? I say propose pick it out and split the cost. The whole guy buying the ring is so old fashioned...just saying :tongue:
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    I agree.....men should get an engagement gift too!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My fiance paid for my ring, but he has a ring I bought him too. When we get married, I will get him a different one...but honestly if we broke up, I think i would probably give the ring back. I wouldn't feel right keeping it.
  • lalaloses
    lalaloses Posts: 22
    Options
    My now husband proposed with a Costume jewelry ring (fine with me). We ended up using a family ring of mine to make up my engagement ring (re-set) and then we split the cost of our wedding rings. and he did get a engagement present, he got ME :-D
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I get my bank accounts and assets I have hidden.
    She can keep the house, cars, savings and that crummy ring with the 1 carrot "qubit zirconia"....GOOD LUCK SELLING IT!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Engagement rings should be made illegal. I don't want to advertise that I'm taken until I've signed the paperwork!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I dunno why either person would want the ring, personally.... you don't like save it for later and give it to another girl, so what does it really matter!? the money? next ur gonna be asking for every gift u've ever given each other back and selling anything u bought together and splitting the money!? if the girl chooses to keep the right, one she may just not be ready to let go, or 2. she may feel as if she's earned it for dealing with u.
    unless the ring like belonged to the guys parent or something and had sentimental value, is it really worth fighting over?
    i personally would probably shove my ring down his throat if he decided he wanted to split (we are married) and he can get it back when it comes out the other end, but that's just how i roll!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My now husband proposed with a Costume jewelry ring (fine with me). We ended up using a family ring of mine to make up my engagement ring (re-set) and then we split the cost of our wedding rings. and he did get a engagement present, he got ME :-D

truth!
  • beachbabe9
    Options
    I don't think a man should necessarily get a gift in return. I believe that gifts should be unconditional. all gifts. that you shouldn't expect anything in return when giving a gift.

That said, i wanted to pay for my husband's wedding ring. A few weeks after he bought me an engagement ring, I bought him a wedding ring. And at the same place he bought mine, online at JamesAllen.com (by the way, if you want to save $$$, online is the way to go these days!)

Granted, my ring was more expensive than his because mine has diamond and his is a plain gold band. But i didn't feel like i needed to spend the exact same price as he did. Last year, I got him an iPad for his birthday and he took me out to dinner for mine. I spent way more than on his bday than he did on mine. So it kind of evens out.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's part of engagement etiquette that the woman buys the man a small gift for engagement. Of course, she would be expecting theproposal as he would have asked her father's permission to ask for her hand in marriage so she would buy a gift in preparation.

Obviously this is very old fashioned but that's how I expect it to be for mine. :-)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    LOL!

this is funny. My grandmother actually gave my husband her first set of wedding rings, the band and engagement ring, for me after we had our first daughter. They were in her will to be mine anyway, so i don't consider them a gift from him AT ALL. And, I bought his wedding band. Not every girl is a money grubbing *kitten*. =)
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have been engaged twice, the first ring I kept because I paid for it - now I cannot sell it for scrap LOL
    The second my kids lost so I can't return it.

If I ever was daft enough to go for no 3, I wouldn't want a ring. I don't agree with giving the guy a present just because he proposed is kinda like rewarding him for wanting to marry you.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    We didnt go the route of an engagement ring but if we did, the both of us would have been wearing olune and we would have paid for them together. Who says the woman is the only one who is supposed to wear one?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Some things are better left old fashioned. Pancakes, apple turnovers, biscuits and engagements. I asked my wife's dad for permission to court AND get engaged. I earned his respect and my wife was all about dady being the only female child her parents had. If, God forbid, I ever have a daughter, I would expect the same thing. Regardless of what generation we live in. I have to know someone will honor as I honored my wife. Oh, my wife designed and bought my wedding ring. She gave me a Nintendo Gamecube as an engagement ring.

EDIT: when I proposed to her, I had a rose in hand. I gave her the ring after she said yes.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I told my dude he could propose with a $7 cubic zirconia, so.. he's not getting a flat screen for it. :happy:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I offered to split the cost since it's our future together and I hate the idea of him spending so much. I found a type of gem stone I LOVE (not much of a diamond person anyway) so that helps a bit.
    I'm buying him an iPad though, I feel like that's fair. hahah.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh the romance in this thread would bring a tear to a glass eye :huh:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    A nice watch, IMO. One with moving parts inside.
  • JilianneNicole
    JilianneNicole Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Some things are better left old fashioned. Pancakes, apple turnovers, biscuits and engagements. I asked my wife's dad for permission to court AND get engaged. I earned his respect and my wife was all about dady being the only female child her parents had. If, God forbid, I ever have a daughter, I would expect the same thing. Regardless of what generation we live in. I have to know someone will honor as I honored my wife. Oh, my wife designed and bought my wedding ring. She gave me a Nintendo Gamecube as an engagement ring.

EDIT: when I proposed to her, I had a rose in hand. I gave her the ring after she said yes.

This is so amazing and the way it should be!!!!!! My sons will do the same thing!! It's called respect and it's lacking in this society!!!!! So awesome!! Your wife is a lucky woman :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Why should the guy just pay for the ring? I say propose pick it out and split the cost. The whole guy buying the ring is so old fashioned...just saying :tongue:

I paid for my engagement ring - AND our wedding bands because he was miserably broke at the time. I tease him about it now even though he fully supports us financially these days. lol