my son steals food

Options
12346»

Replies

• dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    to those who think i'm projecting and/or that it's normal to binge:

do you think a former binge eater does not recognize the signs?

to those of you who think "steal" is too harsh a term:

if i came home with $20 and gave $5 to each of my sons and kept $5 and one of them got into everyone's wallets during the night, took all $20, and went to the Gamestop and i found him playing a new game the next day, and asked him where it came from and where everyone's money went, and he said, "i don't know..." would that be "stealing"?

delete
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I also used to sneak food as a kid - and my mom found out (of course) and kept asking why? I really couldn't tell her at the time, but I've battled my weight all my life, and so has she. I can tell you I have 4 brothers, and growing up with brothers that can eat you out of house and home, and especially if their friends are over- we were going through milk and cereal like nobody's business, and all my "healthy" cereal I would pick out and sometimes buy myself, would be gone. Mom had to finally put her foot down about the friends eating over, but for the most part that's normal boy stuff I guess. I agree with other posters, maybe keep the goodies out of the house, and if you are all getting a treat to share, just get it at that time- so smaller box of ice cream cones, or smaller carton, etc. as for the cookies, and things, those are MY downfall. I usually have to just portion it out into Tupperware or snack cups/snack baggies, so that it's in an actual portion - I do this as soon as it comes home from the store, that way you actually see what a serving IS, and have it ready to go- so ONE serving of cookies at night is okay.
    or my friend has a "snack basket" at her house - granola bars, fruit snacks, etc - anything in the basket is okay - again in ONE serving. I keep fruit at my house too - open bowl on the table of apples, bananas, oranges, and whatever else on sale, and a bowl of grapes in the fridge- washed and off the vine, ready to go- my kids love to "sneak" grapes out of the fridge.

My parents had 5 ravenous kids in the house, plus a multitude of friends over at all times, so they could not keep snacks in the house for more than 5 minutes. They finally devised a "mailbox" system. Each of us (including my parents) had a box into which they placed snacks that had been parceled out equally. They would hit Costco, load up, and then divy everything up. What snacks were in your box were yours to eat yourself or share with your friends at your discretion. But once your snacks were gone, that was it and you didn't get more until the restocked. I'm not going to pretend there weren't a few items that went missing from various boxes, but for the most part it worked like a charm.

I was just about to say this too - maybe get different colors of boxes, bins, or Tupperware, whatever floats your boat- each child chooses their color, and when you make their snack bin - that's their supply. I've done this on road trips with my neice and nephews too - here's your bag of snacks- no refills until we stop at "X," so when I stop to get fuel etc, do not ask for anything. Worked like a charm. Some eat the whole bag at once, some eat favorite things first, or last, and I always put little games and things in them too - the kids loved it. We have their different colors of sippie cups for my little guys- even the baby gives his brother the green cup- cause that's his brother's. They know what their color is- and yes, there's the occasional tiff, but for the most part, they know what's theirs and what's going on.
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    the milk and cookie thing may not be a "binge" but three drumstick ice cream cones at a pop? that were meant for everyone to share?

i really, really, really appreciate the feedback, everyone.

I'm sorry if this has already been said but I didn't read all the pages.

If you must discipline him, then do.
    Not for the eating but for the forgotten virtue.

Tell him not to eat everything because the food is not for you alone but for everyone in the house. His brother might have been looking forward to having that treat but because he's consumed it all, there's nothing left for him and everybody else to enjoy.

Instill the value that he should be considerate and should also think of others not just himself.

Take the issue of eating/food from the equation cause it might create a lasting impression on the child and might have the same effect with him as it did to you.

Teach him about healthy eating on a separate occasion so it doesn't get associated with the same incident.

I hope this helps even a little bit.
  • BrionaLoree
    Options
    i did this all the time when i was younger, and i lived with my grandparents most of the time- they encouraged me to eat a lot. like they would brag on me if i ate more than them (when i was like 4) and wanted me to. this most likley has something to do with the way they eat, because they are always snacking. but when i would go to my moms and my other grandmas they would get upset with me so i did it.. although my moms mom tried to help me- it just made me feel worst. if my child were doing that, i would only have healthy snacks in the house- NOT the ones that taste healthy though! lol. but also, i would try and make everything fitness related be family fun, and not seem like your trying to make your kid 'not fat' it might not help, but in the end you can only hope that as he gets older, hell want to make his lifestyle a healthier one. but if you try to help, when he realizes he wants to be healthy- he'll know youll be there for him and not resent you. i know that i kind of resent the grandparents i lived with for the eating habbits they got me into because i always think "maybe i wouldnt be so fat if they hadnt taught me to eat like that" either way, it has to be HIS choice or else he'll feel like hes being tourtured.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I also used to sneak food as a kid - and my mom found out (of course) and kept asking why? I really couldn't tell her at the time, but I've battled my weight all my life, and so has she. I can tell you I have 4 brothers, and growing up with brothers that can eat you out of house and home, and especially if their friends are over- we were going through milk and cereal like nobody's business, and all my "healthy" cereal I would pick out and sometimes buy myself, would be gone. Mom had to finally put her foot down about the friends eating over, but for the most part that's normal boy stuff I guess. I agree with other posters, maybe keep the goodies out of the house, and if you are all getting a treat to share, just get it at that time- so smaller box of ice cream cones, or smaller carton, etc. as for the cookies, and things, those are MY downfall. I usually have to just portion it out into Tupperware or snack cups/snack baggies, so that it's in an actual portion - I do this as soon as it comes home from the store, that way you actually see what a serving IS, and have it ready to go- so ONE serving of cookies at night is okay.
    or my friend has a "snack basket" at her house - granola bars, fruit snacks, etc - anything in the basket is okay - again in ONE serving. I keep fruit at my house too - open bowl on the table of apples, bananas, oranges, and whatever else on sale, and a bowl of grapes in the fridge- washed and off the vine, ready to go- my kids love to "sneak" grapes out of the fridge.

My parents had 5 ravenous kids in the house, plus a multitude of friends over at all times, so they could not keep snacks in the house for more than 5 minutes. They finally devised a "mailbox" system. Each of us (including my parents) had a box into which they placed snacks that had been parceled out equally. They would hit Costco, load up, and then divy everything up. What snacks were in your box were yours to eat yourself or share with your friends at your discretion. But once your snacks were gone, that was it and you didn't get more until the restocked. I'm not going to pretend there weren't a few items that went missing from various boxes, but for the most part it worked like a charm.

I was just about to say this too - maybe get different colors of boxes, bins, or Tupperware, whatever floats your boat- each child chooses their color, and when you make their snack bin - that's their supply. I've done this on road trips with my neice and nephews too - here's your bag of snacks- no refills until we stop at "X," so when I stop to get fuel etc, do not ask for anything. Worked like a charm. Some eat the whole bag at once, some eat favorite things first, or last, and I always put little games and things in them too - the kids loved it. We have their different colors of sippie cups for my little guys- even the baby gives his brother the green cup- cause that's his brother's. They know what their color is- and yes, there's the occasional tiff, but for the most part, they know what's theirs and what's going on.

nice. i might give that a try!
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, my family brought up my excessive eating and weight frequently. Anytime they mentioned something about my eating, I kept doing it. Not to spite them, but emotionally it hurt when they were complaining about me eating and my weight, so what did I do? Turn to the food because it tasted good and made me feel good at the time. Honestly, I don't feel that anything you say to him could help, in fact even mentioning it could make things worse. At least, it did for me when my parents would bring it up. I still have a lot of frustration because I feel like a lot of what my parents used to say is the reason I am as big as I am today. My mom would try to get me onto diets with her and I would lose maybe 5 lbs and give up because I had an addiction to food. Most people have to overcome their food issues on their own because it really is a very personal thing. Rarely does anything good ever come out of people restricting food from anyone other than themselves or mentioning food issues to anyone besides themselves. Unfortunately most people end up overweight or obese before they can admit they have a problem and do something about it.

All I can really suggest you do is keep the sweets and junk food out of the house. If someone is craving an occasional sweet or junk food, maybe the family could go out and get ice cream or a candy bar or something like that rather than keeping it in the fridge or freezer. Also, maybe go on family walks or do family activities together (i.e. football or tag in the front or back yard) so that you know he is getting in plenty of activity.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I too am raising boys and they do go through phases where they will eat anything that doesn't bit back. My 13 year will go through periods where he gets up in the middle of the night and eat anything he can get his hands on. I decided a couple of years ago when this first started to not keep junk in my house. Instead of no bake cookies I make carrot muffins or banana bread cookies. Instead of ice cream I freeze yogurt and offer that to them. I also keep all sorts of fruit in my fridge and when I buy my veggies I immediately cut them all up into snack sizes that makes grabbing for a bunch of carrot sticks easier for them. My 13 year old is also very active I started my weight loss journey 3 and a half years ago and I always let my kids workout with me if they choose too. I didn't push it on them and found that leading by example was better. He is now lifting weights and getting in hours of outside play and working out. He is blessed with his fathers metabolism so I don't really have to worry about him being overweight and I encourage him to succeed in any program he wants to try. I do not nag them over their eating because I don't want them to think that they are not allowed to eat stuff. Instead I just educate by keeping healthy choices in my house. Normally if they think they are not allowed something they will want it even more. I found that if they had free and clear access to all the healthy choices they were better about their night eating and they started making their own healthy choices.

The real trick is making healthy snack quick and easy for them to grab. Kids are usually too busy to 'make' something and will grab whatever is already done and ready. If all they have to reach for is cookies and such that is what they will choose, but if a bowl of fruit salad is in the fridge or a veggie tray they will reach for that too. Make is easy and simple. And remember that your issues and your past is not his unless you make it his.
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    I also have a 12 year old son, (among others)hes going through puberty and also LOVES milk and snacking. Im assuming the draw to the milk is their bodies screaming for calcium for their bones which are going through a massive growth stage, just a guess though, but i remember being mad on milk at that age too.
    My view is, no biggy, i swapped the whole fat milk to semi skimmed, stopped buying 'munchies' for him to snack on and replaced them with dried fuit, canned fruit, bread sticks, humous and wholemeal pittas and fresh fruit. I also make him pitta crisps with cinnamon on them, they go down really well. I also started family walking in the evening to get them all walking a few miles each day. (This is on top of their usual exercise)
    He still drinks loads of milk and eats all the time, but hes snacking on healthy food and getting regular exercise, so theres no problem.
    I personally wouldnt even mention it to him, why would you want to make him feel bad, just make the swaps and dont make it into a big thing.

^^ this - coupled with the fact that my 'locust' boy is gonna be a junior in high school and wants to look good for the 'chicks'! He has started working out and has made some incredible changes to his diet

healthy snacks, bite-sized, ready to go, fruit, veggies, etc - have to agree with the above posters. It may seem odd, but it works. My 16 year old noshes on celery. Who'd a thunk it?
  • twimom03
    twimom03 Posts: 19
    Options
    Only you do know your son the best. As his mother, only you know the difference between him eating due to a growth spurt and unhealthy binges. Ask yourself this...would he eat that amount of food in front of you? Such as I told you about my niece, she absolutely would not! That told me that she was embarrassed to eat and could not help herself to eating an abundant amount of food at once (and we are not talking about veggies and fruit either). I know the position that you are in and how difficult it is! I know what you meant by calling it "stealing" as I would also call it "stealing" or "sneaking"....my children know their boundaries and limitations when it comes to having snacks...the pantry is not opened all day long to graze from. Growing up, I had to ask for a snack and I do the same with my children. Although we share everything in this house...if one is to take all the food in the middle of the night and not think to share...then I know what you mean by stealing. I respect you in that you put yourself out there today and posting your question. Search the internet and maybe you can come up with some valuable information as to help your son. As you know, fighting an eating disorder is not easy! It is not like you can just have some willpower and get over it...you are taking the first step and finding out how you can help him. I know with my niece, she was called fat as a child and other kids were cruel to her and she was also having family issues at home (that is why she came to live with me). Again, good luck.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Oh and my parents used exercise as punishment (for non-food related "infractions") Ask me how that screwed me up.

Boo hoo. Blame mommy and daddy for all your current problems.
    Right, people who can take ownership of their lives reach potential. Those who fail will always fine somebody to blame.
    ABSURD!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Its funny that you call it "stealing"!!

All jokes aside, I think you need to get the father on board so you guys are on the same page year round. Lead by example and try to buy healthier stuff so he is binging on carrots and not cookies.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I'm sorry you're going through this. I wish I had advice for you. My step-son is 14 and just about 300 pounds. He is only with us during the summertime and with his mom the rest of the year, and she makes no attempt to help him make healthier food choices.

When he is with us, he has no desire to eat healthier and is EXTREMELY picky. So it's not as easy as buying carrots and celery and letting him snack on that. There's no way he'd touch that. For example, when I make salads, he'll take out all the vegetables and douse it with ranch dressing and cheese. There is only one or two vegetables he'll actually eat. Another excuse he's used is that he doesn't like the texture, or the taste, etc. As his step-mom who only sees him during summer, I feel I can only say so much. My husband's frustrated but is sick of trying to make him care.

Oh, and I too end up finding empty wrappers around the house. We don't keep a lot of junk food in the house, but we do like an occasional treat and it's silly that I may have to hide them.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Boo hoo. Blame mommy and daddy for all your current problems.

Wow.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I can offer a point of view from one of the kids who is missing out. My younger sister had a habit of stealing (and yes, I thought of it as stealing) all the treats from the "treat drawer." With 5 kids to feed, my mom didn't buy many treats. When she would buy the occasional (a few times a year) box of Hostess or Little Debbie cakes, it was a big deal. We would each be allowed 1 per day and we had to ask. It was incredibly frustrating to be looking forward to your little cake and find the drawer empty. No one would admit to taking them. My younger sister always claimed that she didn't like chocolate but her purse would be stuffed with them. She was in grade school when it happened. She had problems with impulse control. She started stealing other things from us. If she wanted it, she'd take it. Eventually my mom made a rule that if she stole something, she had to return it, apologize, and pay the sibling $10. A combination of maturity and losing something of her own (the money) finally got to her and she outgrew it.
    If he's allowed to take things that are for the whole family there needs to be a consequence. If there's not, the other kids will see it and may begin to do the same. If he can take whatever he wants, why can't they?
    This has nothing to do with the hiding. That's a whole issue I'm not going into. I'm just saying that the feelings of the other members of the family matter too.