Fast food should be taxed!

Options

Replies

• ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    i'm very thankful i live in a place where trans fat higher than 2.0g is not allowed in fast food restaurants. yay government regulations that are actually beneficial
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar
    -anything that sounds unhealthy or you suspect is.

11596d1220309043_afghanistan_legends_gtfo_take_fail_some_GTFO_pics-s570x610-76449-580.jpg
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Too bad they cant tax stupidity.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I live in MA. Cigarette taxes have gotten so high here that most brands its about 9-9.50 a pack. I know very few people who have quit. People want something they'll have it.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is ... Taxed.....
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'm very thankful i live in a place where trans fat higher than 2.0g is not allowed in fast food restaurants. yay government regulations that are actually beneficial

Because there is no way you could choose whether or not to eat trans fats yourself. Amirite?
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    The government shouldn't decide what is "undesirable" behavior and tax us based on that. So no, it really shouldn't.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

You're on a roll with posting silly things.
    Me thinks this is the same guy that a few days ago called himself kodakdigitalcamera. He closed his account after numerous stupid posts that were not well received by the MFP community. Like eating 10000 calories of mayo. why its better to eat only once a day, etc. He's a troll.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Too bad they cant tax stupidity.
    If they could they would make a mint on this website alone.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Its a political topic during an election season!
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    Let's not let people vote, either. Yea, they might make a bad decision with their freedom. We better just take that freedom away, JUST IN CASE.
    This. ^
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've lived in both Manitoba and Ontario (Canada), and there are taxes on most fast foods and on a lot of junk foods in grocery stores... soooo yeah. Already done...
  • lolagurlx0x0
    Options

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

11596d1220309043_afghanistan_legends_gtfo_take_fail_some_GTFO_pics-s570x610-76449-580.jpg
    So... All Packaged food? Why do you hate me?
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Stop.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Taxing things to make people stop doing it is pretty ineffective. When I started smoking, cigarettes were $2.75/pack. When I moved out of MA last year, I was paying $8.15. At no point did I think, and I still don't, that when I quit smoking it will be over money. The casual fast food eater may be swayed by a tax, but a food addict won't.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sure! Add some more taxes, that will get people to stop. It's done a fabulous job cutting down on tobacco use. Oh wait...
    :huh:
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    In Louisiana, fast food is already taxed. We are one of the un-healthiest states in the nation. No one wants the government telling them what to do, they are going to do the opposite. It does not work and wastes tax payer $$'s on ridiculous studies.

I could see a benefit by the government helping with lowering the cost on healthy foods and produce, instead of giving us cheap packaged, processed foods that are of no health benefits. If the government really cared about the "health cost" of our nation, it would do this. More affordable healthy foods for our bodies would also help with lower trips to the doctors office as a whole.

Just a thought I felt like sharing. BUT with all of that being written, I also believe it is up to the individual to be responsible for their own body.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    Options

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar

So the government can literally live off the fat of the land....
    those fat *kitten* have it so easy in Canada.
    If I want a $1 McChicken, I have to pay $1.07!!! $1.07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :brokenheart:
    ^^^^^ hahahaha this. ^.^
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    Taxing things to make people stop doing it is pretty ineffective. When I started smoking, cigarettes were $2.75/pack. When I moved out of MA last year, I was paying $8.15. At no point did I think, and I still don't, that when I quit smoking it will be over money. The casual fast food eater may be swayed by a tax, but a food addict won't.
    Exactly. I'm the kind of person who would pay MORE to eat fast food out of spite if that was the rule.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I totally disagree with taxing food.

Eating at a fast food place doesnt make you unhealthy if its just once in a while. yes its higher in fat/ sugar/ salt
    but most healthy people can handle it. Why make the punishment for everybody.

Its like with most things

A little of what you fancy does you good.

Its only like with alcohol and booze and suchlike, when its a habit and become abused is when it causes problems.

I hate all this nanny state crap. whatever happened to freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

The way its going we'll all be treated the same as that film Demolition man where you cant make your own decisions about anything!!

If I want to die of lung cancer and high cholesterol that's my choice. I pay my taxes and my own medical bills and work bloody hard to do so.