Fast food should be taxed!

Options

Replies

• purpleroses1021
    purpleroses1021 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar
    -anything that sounds unhealthy or you suspect is.

With your definition - yogurt and bread, even whole wheat would be taxed. Some raw meat would be taxed. Is that what you have in mind?

This! I think you read my mind :laugh:
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Also, taxing fast food isn't going to make people healthier; it will just make them pay more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's going to go "oh, my mcchicken nuggets were $1.00 before, now they added 1.00 tax! damn, I better eat a salad instead!"
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    yeh....
    not gonna happen
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Let's have a fat tax too. And a tax for people who have too many children but shouldn't be. Oh, and let's have a tax for people who own cats, well, because OBVIOUSLY!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, I do work in an office where the vending machines items that are supposedly healthier have their costs slightly subsidized by the company, and the candy-like items are more expensive to make up for it.

I kind of like it. It's a small enough scale that it works for me. However, there are a few problems.

Sometimes the choices for what's healthier are ridiculous and stupid. You can't just see a "no trans fats" label and claim it must be healthy.

and

The selection is somewhat limited.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Tax it because you say so? Too many people already feel they have the right to tell others how wrong they are...we all have one life, it ends the same for everyone no matter what you eat,drink,wear,smoke.... it just ends a little more unpleasantly for some. Taxes are already added to far too many things....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Add a tax to all fast food and subsidize healthy eating propaganda in public places.
    They could even add a warning the doors of fast food places like on alcohol bottles and cigarettes packs.

By fast food I mean:
    -anything fried
    -with added sodium
    -with added sugar
    -anything that sounds unhealthy or you suspect is.
    Somewhat broad definition, wouldn't you say? That includes pretty much all food other than fresh produce.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    That is a bit harsh. Fast foods are taxed just like everything else. Food prices are high enough as is and if you should put another tax on things that have added sugar/sodium/sound or suspect is unhealthy then most of what I buy would be exceedingly expensive. If you have a personal agenda against "unhealthy foods" that's your business but for those of us that still eat it try not to make it any harder to get by.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, I do work in an office where the vending machines items that are supposedly healthier have their costs slightly subsidized by the company, and the candy-like items are more expensive to make up for it.

I kind of like it. It's a small enough scale that it works for me. However, there are a few problems.

Sometimes the choices for what's healthier are ridiculous and stupid. You can't just see a "no trans fats" label and claim it must be healthy.

and

But this isnt a government regulation. This is just your company's vending machines. Someone who doesnt want to pay the extra money can bring their own food in.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain most folks know that fast food isn't the best choice. And, quite honestly, my family eats quite healthfully on WAY less money than it would cost for regular fast food! People are overloaded with information about health and contradictory health statemetns. One day coffee is awful the next day a report says it fights off alzheimer's. I mean who can blame people for being confused (I work in public health)?!?!

We need to work within our sphere of influence (family, friends, coworkers etc) and change attitudes and behaviors there. More taxes and more signs won't change people's behaviors.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    People would still eat it and pay for the extra tax, just like on the cigarettes.

Agree with this
  • EvanKeel
    Options

and

But this isnt a government regulation. This is just your company's vending machines. Someone who doesnt want to pay the extra money can bring their own food in.

And? It's not like you can't double fry chicken strips at your house.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So in the UK our National Health Service is paying out loads of money to help people who have obesity related diseases. The savings that could be made if people were all a healthy weight would be huge. I like the idea of putting a small tax on things like chocolate, and using that to subsidise healthier food choices like fruits and vegetables. Taxes on tobacco may not stop people smoking, but at least there is money in the NHS to fund 'stop' smoking initiatives, and to help those who suffer from lung cancer.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Where I live, sales tax is 9% and prepared food tax is 11%..
    =/
  • ucpg
    ucpg Posts: 158
    Options
    I live in MA. Cigarette taxes have gotten so high here that most brands its about 9-9.50 a pack. I know very few people who have quit. People want something they'll have it.

So true! in Alberta, Canada, its $9.85 and thats without the GST on top of that. so it comes to $10.34.

My mom has smoked since like 1970, she hasn't quit yet, and its supposed to go higher.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options

and

That's the point. In your workplace, you could just bring in candy bars if you wanted.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I am in great shape and I like to eat fast food once in a while. Why should I pay higher taxes just because some people eat so much fast food/un-healthy food that they are now obese.

If you want to even things out, I say if people are overweight or obese (for more than a year), they should pay higher health insurance. Just like people do with life insurance and car insurance (if you are a bad driver). Or, you get a health insurance discount if your yearly checkup is a good one. Now, that statement will get people upset!!! haha!
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I always waste my time reading topics like this when they show up on MFP but I never post a reply...until now.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

and

That's the point. In your workplace, you could just bring in candy bars if you wanted.

Unless you work in food service, I don't think you can equate an office to a restaurant. I kind of have to go to work (to still stay employed). I don't *have* to go to a restaurant to eat. In the same way that the vending machine is a luxury, so is a restaurant.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    end corn subsidies.... maybe subsidize organic produce and grass fed beef... but warning labels... really? If people don't know that fast food is unhealthy by now they never will... If someone wants to not care about their diet... let them... the government is not your mother