Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• flowergirl73
    flowergirl73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    morning star is not vegan there are eggs in most of their products as well as cheese.
    Morning Star spicy black bean patties are vegan and delicious! Mmmmmm
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. Most of us don't eat these products everyday, mostly there are for convieniance, it's something I can make quickly and that my omni boyfriend will eat too.

They don't really represent animals, it's just a shape. Like someone above said, what other shape can a burger be? Lol
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    why do carnivores eat cabbage?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I have yet to meet a carnivore human ... so I would not know....
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Tofurkey is yummy and has tons of protein. I'd be crazy not to eat it.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I think anyone is entitled to ask any question they like on here.

If you think it's ridiculous then you can just ignore it.

But, I would say that burgers are not the form of an animal, it's just a shape.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It is convenient and more socially acceptable. Sometimes,you just want to eat a veggie burger with your friends and not have to make it obvious you are a vegan and different. I was a vegetarian for about 6/7 years and still eat vegan/vegetarian often. I avoid soy for thyroid reasons, but I do occasionally enjoy items such as black bean burgers or veggie burgers because they taste good, simple as that.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I have yet to meet a carnivore human ... so I would not know....

Oh sorry I thought we were just asking pointless questions that nobody cares about?
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Because they taste good and we can.

They're also a really good substitute in meals when you're eating them with non-vegetarians/vegans and still want to cater to their tastes.

I mean, really, though, why not?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Agreed I think it is the tofurky, the tofu ribs, the fake bacon etc
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Agreed I think it is the tofurky, the tofu ribs, the fake bacon etc
    If you've ever actually seen tofurkey, you wouldn't think that. It's a big round ball only resembling turkey in taste.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A veg might ask why meat eaters shape their ground up animal bits like falafel (balls or patties) :wink:

The best answers have been given, all I can say is that I've chosen to not use animals for food, clothing, or entertainment. I haven't chosen to give up any flavors or food shapes. Many flavorings used in meat that people like actually come from plants anyway... non-meat eaters can still enjoy those flavors.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Some people find it easier to transition to vegetarians by eating fake meats because it makes meal planning easier (whatever helps I say.) I used to keep things like that around for when I was being lazy and didn't feel like making food from scratch. (It's easier to stick a veggie burger in the toaster oven for 6 minutes than to cook rice and beans for half an hour). Most of the fake meats contain milk and eggs so I don't buy the prepackaged ones anymore unless it's clearly labeled vegan, then only rarely. But I do it purely out of laziness, not out of meat nostalgia. I sometimes get spinach nuggets that are shaped like stars, but it's not because I wish I was eating a star, although that would be awesome.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan but I was thinking about ti before my doc put me on low carb.

I guess that since I haven't been vegan all my life if I did eventually turn to being one, I would like to have some food that looks like what I used to have before. This would help mentally at least until I get used to it and would add variety. :)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They don't represent animals, they represent forms of food that most people grow up eating and are used to.

I'm not vegan, and I was vegetarian for only 2 days in 7th grade (ultimately, I could not give up bacon), but I agree with the above; I've always thought that these imitation meats are to appease people who have chosen a vegetarian or vegan diet for ethical/health reasons, but grew up with meat. Especially with the burgers and hot dogs, I can totally understand how no one would want to be left out of something that is part of the great North American BBQ experience.

Personally, when I eat vegetarian meals (which I have nothing against, despite being a carnivore), I'm not fond of "fake meat" (my one exception being anything prepared by Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen, a Thai/Malay restaurant in my old 'hood in Toronto, ON). I think some of the best vegetarian and vegan dishes have been developed from the world's long-time vegetarian cultures, such as from India, as they stand on their own merits, without needing to compare to similar meat-based dishes.
  • gypsymoth6
    Options
    Why do people eat lollies shaped like dinosaurs? Why are sausages shaped like sausages anyway?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I thought it was going to asking about animal crackers or pineapples shaped like turtles....
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why do people eat lollies shaped like dinosaurs? Why are sausages shaped like sausages anyway?

never seen the lolliepops... but the sausages are made that way, for a simple fact... they used to use the animal's intestine for the wrapping... what happens when you try to fill a balloon with water... it takes the shape of the balloon right... same with the sausage... it takes the shape of the animal's intestine... I just don't know if that is still the case
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Is it not marketing to make it look similar to those not noticing?

A few years ago, we took a group on a mission trip with a vegan. As a group, we went to the Hard Rock Cafe. She got her food first, and said it was the best hamburger she had eaten in years. Sadly, after about half gone, the wait staff came up and said there was a mistake, and they now had the non-meat burger. Needless to say, everyone (including her) had a good laugh.

She mustn't have been a strict vegan, all the vegans I know would projectile vomit & probably sue the place...
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I don't generally eat meat... I do eat a lot of meat substitute foods though.

I don't care what it looks like... if it's masquerading as a burger, or a piece of bacon then fine. I'd still eat it if it was just a random shape... but I can only eat what is available lol.
    These companies choose to try and make their food look like meat, not me. I guess it sells better that way. Either way, I gotta eat! I wouldn't ever boycott a bean burger for trying to look like a hamburger... or a veggie sausage, because it looks like a meat one. This is just how people shape food right?
    Fair enough, fake bacon is taking it to the extreme... but that stuff is horrible anyway so I don't bother haha.