Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Options

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the dodgy scales, either the ones you are weighing yourself with, or the ones you are weighing your portions of food with.

Gaining 15lbs of muscle in a month whilst eating 1750 calories is not going to happen.

Gaining 15lbs of fat, would mean you now have 52,500 calories of energy stored as fat. Assuming a 30 day month, that means either absolutely every calorie you ate was stored as fat, or you used some of those calories and magically produced energy, which physics tells us cannot happen.

Something is clearly wrong here.
  • TallyGal97
    TallyGal97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One lesson I have learned since joining MFP is that while for some people, it doesn't seem to matter where their calories come from, for me, it matters. If I stay at or below my calories but all I ate was junk/processed/fried/fast food then I will not lose weight. But, when I try to eat better, I not only feel better but there is a loss on the scale. I think for some people it's more than just tracking calories, it's about what you are putting in your body as well. Good luck.

Smartmom is wise! This is true for me as well.
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    when i started i hit the gain weight option when doing my settings instead of loose weight. i would check my settings again just to make sure of what they are. and types of calories count. if a lot of fat and salt is eaten it is easy to gain 15 lbs. have you changed medications( one of mine made me gain 20 lbs even while following the diet.)
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Sorry but this is a load of rubbish.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Are you positive your scales are accurate? Sometimes they get messed up when the battery sits. Did you move it to a new location? Try another scale to be sure. How do your clothes fit?

Do not up your calories. If your scale is accurate, go the to doctor. If you stuck to 1750 calories, 15 pounds is way too much of a gain for a month even if your BMR was only 1200.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Starving? On 1750 while sedentary? Me no think so. :huh:

I'm with ya, OP could be eating too much.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Something doesn't add up here, you don't gain that kind of weight by accident or without something being wrong.

Post up you stats, what you eat on an average day and exercise routine.

Doctors check up would be a good start.

Agree with this. The doctor would be a great start.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the dodgy scales, either the ones you are weighing yourself with, or the ones you are weighing your portions of food with.

Gaining 15lbs of muscle in a month whilst eating 1750 calories is not going to happen.

Gaining 15lbs of fat, would mean you now have 52,500 calories of energy stored as fat. Assuming a 30 day month, that means either absolutely every calorie you ate was stored as fat, or you used some of those calories and magically produced energy, which physics tells us cannot happen.

Something is clearly wrong here.

I know the scale lies, but I'm going to be mighty upset if I buy a food scale and find out that lies, too!

I was also wondering if OP needed to drop to 1200 a day. You made me realize though that even if the OP should be on 1200 calories a day to lose and is eating over maintenance at ~1700, that's not over enough to gain that much weight.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    I am opening my DIARY now!!!

....and note...my husband is on this site also. He is trying to GAIN WEIGHT!!!

I cook 5-6days a week! So my food is HOMEADE so I know whats in it.

My husband is amazed as he knows my portion size...and I wouldnt try to LIE to myself....that wouldnt help.

I love eating for sure...but I am ok with 1700 calories...which is why it was disheartening to see that I could stay there ...but with no results.

Let me know what you people think NOW that the diary is open.
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think it's what you eat too.

A lot of people seem to believe that as long as you're under your calories goal you will be ok, but if you eat fried foods, too many carbs, sugary drinks, and so on... well, it's hard you lose weight. Especially with a 1750 calories goal and no exercise.

I'm with the people who suggests to open your diary. Sometimes we don't realize our own mistakes, but that's what MFP is for. Other people can look at your diary and give you suggestions. :)

Don't feel bad tho. As long as you're willing to learn from your mistakes, you can do it! We all make mistakes while learning how to be healthier and change our life style.
  • wren337
    wren337 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    start measuring and weighing your food. you're under-reporting your intake (or over-reporting the number of calories you're burning). there's no magic here, it's calories in and calories out.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Lots of processed food in that diary...make healthier choices and see a doctor
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Seek the advice of professionals not us.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    start measuring and weighing your food. you're under-reporting your intake (or over-reporting the number of calories you're burning). there's no magic here, it's calories in and calories out.
    you might also want to cut out the white and cinnamon raisin bread and processed foods you have a lot of carbs on here. I know how hard it is though when your not just cooking for yourself. I have growing kids and a hubby that can eat anything. Makes my life suck at times specially watching the hubby eat and drink whatever he wants.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Sometimes certain foods work best for each person. I looked at what you at Thursday - wow thats A LOT of bread!? Noodles and pretzels? Lots of carbs! You should get in MINIMUM 2 grain servings a day (2 slices of bread or 1/2c rice & 1/2c oatmeal)

Get good carbs in like fruit and vegetables.

What is your BMR? If youre inactive I'm sure its not 1700 calories a day.

Re-do some figures and try again. Just dont give up. Getting a healthy lifestyle will be trial and error until you find the balance! :flowerforyou:
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    I agree with the 2 other posters... i think you really, really need to cut down on your carbs and sugars. try 40% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fat and try keep your (non-whole fruit) sugars to 20g. I bet you'll see a HUGE difference!!
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just wanted to offer up some feedback on your question. I looked at your food diary and it appears that you're eating quite a lot of processed foods, many of which contain tons and tons of sodium. I would recommend a couple of things. First, set your food tracker to actually track the sodium intake. You can go to the settings and choose what things you want to track like fat, protein, sodium, etc. I would recommend keeping track of that because as much sodium as it seems like you've been consuming leads me to believe that you are also retaining a lot of fluid. Then, once you've set it up to track that I highly recommend switching from processed foods to more natural foods. So it looks like you don't really eat fruits and vegetables. You should. This will fill you up so that you're not hungry and they won't make you retain fluid since they don't contain sodium. In fact, I would say eliminate the processed stuff altogether. I saw sausage and things like that on your diary. I think those types of foods are best skipped. For protein, though, switch to chicken, turkey, fish, etc. These are all very lean sources of protein and if you cook them yourself you can also control the amount of sodium.

Keep in mind that it's not just the number of calories but also the types of calories. Processed bad, natural good.

I'd also be interested to know how you determined the number of calories that you should be eating. The number may or may not be correct depending upon how much you currently weigh and how much you want to lose.

Also, try to incorporate exercise. Exercise will firm up the muscles underneath so that you can still be losing inches even if the scale does not budge.

But I think the most important thing is to look at what you are eating. Cut out all the sodium and see if that helps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i had a quick look at the last week, and theres not really a whole lot of fruit and veg going on, and a lot of stuff that will be high in sodium. that being said those things wont add up to a 15lb gain.

is 1700 what MFP set you based on losing 1lb per week?
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I would say maybe it's the exercise. If you've only just started exercising you probably won't have lost very much, as eating fewer calories alone won't help lose weight for some people. Also, your body might be holding onto water if you're not drinking enough. Maybe your calories are coming from too much fat and not enough fruit and veg? There could be many reasons and you should try different things until something works for you.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This may seem like an obvious question but are you on your period or about to start in a few days? I usually retain 8-10 pounds of water the week of mine. So your weight 'gain' could be just about that.

Really check your food and portions. Did you know that a serving of anything is usually the size of your palm? I didn't know that, and would underestimate my calories. Salt is a big issue too, perhaps you need to lower your sodium intake.

If you have been eating correctly and exercising and you are not on your period then you need to go to the doctor because something is going wrong with your body.