Ahhhhh! Just read a post that said.....

Options

Replies

• KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    2e160oy.jpg

This monkey has not logged in for one month, he may need some encouragement.

Perfect!!!!
  • patriciagrade
    patriciagrade Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm a dumb *kitten* when it comes to nutrition... otherwise i wouldn't be looking for help in here, would I?

But I do know this - I went trough a weight control program, very famous where I live, everybody would loose weight and look slim. To cut a long story short, They got me out of bread, rice, potatoes, milk, fruit and starched vegetables!!!! And this while working out every day of the week, except sundays (I played rugby at the time, and would go for runs and gym workouts in the machines).

Every week, at every weigh in, I realized not only hadn't lost any weight, but put on some!
    The so called nutritionist would put me on a different "diet", where I would only eat ham, or eggs for breakfast...

After a month I was feeling so fatigued, and craving raisins (which I don't really enjoy that much...!) and my throat started soaring badly! This went on for another 2 weeks before I got really sick in the throat.
    Then I went to my doctor to see what was happening to me.
    The lady almost killed me. My organism was literally shutting down. Wasn´t able to deplete a simple cold. I was under attack from the inside of my body and the worst part was, I was doing it to myself!!!

After that I decided I wasn't going to do what people told me. I was going to read and learn what my body had to tell me.
    Sure I experiment new things sometimes.

But since then, fruit of any kind and vegetables don't leave my plate. Bread - whole wheat, brown rice and noodles, meat, some brown sugar and honey or whatever I feel like having in controlled portions, I have it and don't look back!!!!

I don't eat junk the majority of the days, but I do have it sometimes. I'm not in prison, I'm not paying any promises to punish myself.
    I have some weight to lose, But I don't want to feel like I'm doing this till I loose and then I can go back to those bad habits of eating too few calories or too many!

I'm eating in my TDEE and not below or above and that's what we should be aiming for, right?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Eat them. They are not bad for you. People freak out too much about sugar. If you feel fine, are meeting your other macros, and are losing weight then don't listen to them. I eat one every day before my workout and don't have any issues.

^^^ this. your muscles need sugar after a workout, and if the sugar's going into your muscles then it'll be used by them, not stored as fat (provided you're controlling your calories the rest of the time). There's about a 45 minute window after exercise when your muscles need to be fed, what you eat at this time is more likely to go to the muscles, and also if you don't eat during this time, some people find they get really hungry later on. So basically within 45 mins after a workout is the best time to eat foods that are naturally high in sugar.

However unless you're diabetic or similar, so long as you're fitting it into your calorie allowance, fruit will not sabotage you whatever time you eat it, and it's full of vitamins and minerals.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Things that don't make you fat.

1. Sugar
    2. Carbs
    3. fats
    4. eating at or after a specific time.
    5. eating fructose
    6. eating lactose.
    7. eating high GI

The thing that makes you fat.
    1. Eating above your maintenance calories

If this is true, you have just made me feel a whole lot better.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    processes sugars are a hell of a lot worse than bananas

and if bananas is all you're worried about then that's awesome
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Things that don't make you fat.

1. Sugar
    2. Carbs
    3. fats
    4. eating at or after a specific time.
    5. eating fructose
    6. eating lactose.
    7. eating high GI

The thing that makes you fat.
    1. Eating above your maintenance calories

If this is true, you have just made me feel a whole lot better.

It IS true. Feel better. Really.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    If your not going to eat something, make it peanut butter! Not bananas. Peanutbutter is loaded with fat, calories, and salt. BTW- for the PB advocates not all of it is good fat. Bananas or any foods that aren't processed are good for you in a balenced diet.
  • Kelli2u
    Kelli2u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I woud eat those banana's. If you are worried cut down to 1 a day but if you like them and they may keep you from making bad choices thorughout the day continue eating 2. There is nothing wrong with banana's.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, bananas are Nature's perfect food! Love them!
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. And so do these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCkerYMffMo
  • Lamondra
    Lamondra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite MFP thread ever.

Funny people!

Like :o)

(and like for bananas...especially with the evil peanut butter)
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I have seen legitimate fear mongering over a banana and some corn.

Dead srs.

EDIT: In fact one of the banana bashers sent me a PM once to insult me. Totally unsolicited. I found out he was a Gary Taubes follower though and that's when I realized he obviously had mental issues so I didn't take offense.

Did he insult you over your choice to eat bananas? I tried reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, and Why We Get Fat (or something like that) but I just couldn't get through it. I think there may have been some good advice in there but it was buried under 10,000 studies of how the overall health of third world countries compares to the U.S.

Anyways, I do tend to avoid bananas, not because they are the devil but because they have a lot of calories with minimal nutrients and I'd rather have fruits like berries and oranges. I have one every once in awhile, because while I love fruit, bananas are the only fruit I find filling, so if I'm absolutely starving, I'll grab one.
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That is crazy!

My husband is diabetic, and we will be buying greener bananas from now on.
    Thanks!
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you should eat bananas, have you ever seen a skinny gorilla?
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be picky about it, lots of fruits contain high amounts of sugar and carbs. But come on its FRUIT! eating fruits and veggies is one of the 10 commandments of eating right, so unless you eat a billion servings of bananas I doubt its will hinder your diet goals.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas.. not everyday as the texture isn't my favorite thing.
    But when I make fruit smoothies, I will not make them without a banana.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bananas !!! Too much sugar! I eat them everyday, frozen, very ripe, in my post workout shake. Am I wrong for doing this ???????

No, bananas do have a lot of sugar in them. But they also have fiber and potassium and are fresh and delicious.
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    Well by the time I eat a banana and greek yogurt I am over my sugar for the day.

I know some would be concerned about this, but I am not. I know all sugar is the same but as long as I get it from fruits and veggies, then I don't sweat it too much. If I had some candy in there I might feel a little guilty. My biggest goals are to be at my calorie target and to get enough protein and fiber, keeping fat low.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    That's ridiculous... I eat a banana every day! The sugars in fruit are GOOD for you. =P I wish MFP had a way to differentiate between sugars found naturally in fruits vs. white sugars in bread and processed foods... I took off my sugar counter on my diary because besides the 15-20 grams I get from breads, I keep going over my sugar count from fresh fruits, which I think is a GOOD thing. =P
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Fruit has natural sugar...not fake sugar so eat up